Active Topics

So anyone working on how to check whether or not your N9 got CarrierIQ? Or can point me in the right direction?

CarrierIQ is a dealbreaker for me since since I am the Batman and we can't have people snooping around on the Batphone can we?

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Get the N9, install nemo. 100% no carrierIQ

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
What is Nemo and where can I get it for N9?

EDIT:

Ok googled it a bit instead

Found it is a community version (?) of Meego made for N900 and N950 with a N9 port being worked on.

How can one be 100 % sure its carrierIQ free? Because it is open/transparent and made by a community?

For one second let me get my tin foil hat on :P

Is there no chance that CarrierIQ is programmed into the core of the OS and hidden really well even in the Open Source unless removed?

Last edited by weird0; 2011-12-03 at 18:34.

Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
Originally Posted by weird0 View Post
Is there no chance that CarrierIQ is programmed into the core of the OS and hidden really well even in the Open Source unless removed?
The core of the OS is open, it is linux. What isn't open are some binary blobs from drivers and Nokia apps.

Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
just wan to throw this out there just because, for instanance verizion, claims that they do not use CIQ doesnt mean that they dont have their own software to do the same thing as CIQ. I wouldnt be surprised if all carriers have something similar preinstalled on phones.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Fila For This Useful Post:
Posts: 311 | Thanked: 376 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Hungary
Originally Posted by Mike Fila View Post
just wan to throw this out there just because, for instanance verizion, claims that they do not use CIQ doesnt mean that they dont have their own software to do the same thing as CIQ. I wouldnt be surprised if all carriers have something similar preinstalled on phones.
Well, CIQ was hidden for ages, so yeah, I guess they were not the only one in this game. On the other hand even if we find all the malwares in this level, they can just push it down further. Like integrating the functions to the CPU or something. You still wont see any note regarding how the CPU in your phone functions when you sign up for a carrier, and who knows, maybe it is already there, it seems there is a high demand for these functions so they may as well have been already implemented...

Well it looks like things are about to heat up with a lawsuit and FTC Probe...

Link taken from a similar topic on Pre|Central

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 148 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Yerevan
Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
Get the N9, install nemo. 100% no carrierIQ
afaik there's no nemo for n9, developers cannot do that because there are no easy way to reflash bricked device

The Following User Says Thank You to norayr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 148 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Yerevan
Originally Posted by weird0 View Post

How can one be 100 % sure its carrierIQ free? Because it is open/transparent and made by a community?
cyanogen and replicant are carrieriq free