Active Topics

Posts: 333 | Thanked: 153 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ blah blah
users like candies, they don't care about carrieriq, when carrieriq fails miserably, someone else will be there already, ie. google

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to longcat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by longcat View Post
users like candies, they don't care about carrieriq, when carrieriq fails miserably, someone else will be there already, ie. google
very true, but with google you know you're giving away your privacy, and they don't sue you when you try to tell other people

The Following User Says Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Well it looks like things are about to heat up with a lawsuit and FTC Probe...

Link taken from a similar topic on Pre|Central
There is also another aspect of CarrierIQ software on the phones:
we do not know the source files of this spyware.
As software has errors we also do not know, which other threats (backdoors?) are opened by bugs of the CarrierIQ software which even CarrierIQ does not know!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PMaff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
Get the N9, install nemo. 100% no carrierIQ
The N9 contains lots of proprietary firmware and undocumented devices (such as the baseband), and those have access not only to the main memory, but also to the GPS, the microphone and a handful other "features" that would put your average government tracking device to shame.

If one suddenly has the urge to be paranoid, I suggest you buy a OpenMoko or do a la Stallman.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by PMaff View Post
There is also another aspect of CarrierIQ software on the phones:
we do not know the source files of this spyware.
As software has errors we also do not know, which other threats (backdoors?) are opened by bugs of the CarrierIQ software which even CarrierIQ does not know!
I could not agree more, there is still a lot we don't know.

Not sure how relevant this is mind... But I have come across a white paper which goes into the hypothetical uses and deployment of rootkits and data retrieval .pdf

The part I found especially interesting was the use of triggers from the "attacker" or in case of this topic the "carrier" where they use a telephone number dialled to the device to enable the rootkit. This got me thinking of the welcome text messages that carriers send you when you insert a new SIM into your phone... What if they act as the triggers instead?

It is certainly a good read though even if it is not related.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
This might be noteworthy.

Mark Pesce (An engineer who invented VRML) writes an article about CarrierIQ and how N9 is the most trustworthy and secure phone out right now.

Quote from the artice:

Were I running a secure organization - like ASIO or the ADF - I would insist that my staff used the N9 for secure mobile communications. Were I in a profession that depended on my ability to keep secrets - the law, or medicine - I would insist my peers used N9s. The same holds true for businesses which need to keep commercial confidences. Only when things are open can they be secured. Open source is the only protection against prying eyes.
I'm holding onto my N9. Not only is a great mobile, it's the only mobile I've ever owned that I know I can trust. That means a lot now, and it will come to mean more, as we learn what kinds of mischief can be made with the secrets we fail to secure.
[Source](http://www.abc.net.au/technology/art...06/3384952.htm)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to weird0 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Washington DC Metro Area
Noteworthy indeed: think of the application of Kerckhoff's principle (or Shannon's, whatever) in a broader framework...

...Which again, is merely yet another way of saying that the use of 'black-box' (closed) systems, whether HW, SW, etcetera in the use of information storage/transfer/processing -- while not ensuring it *is* compromised -- absolutely DOES ensure one can never be positive it is NOT compromised.

It was said more eloquently in that article, so I'll just leave it at that.

~JMB

Cool stuff, even though i trust Nokia a bit more then other evil corporations the N9 has lots of closed bits of software whose source code is as much private as Apple's or HTC's so his argument about transparancy is weak.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daneel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Washington DC Metro Area
Originally Posted by Daneel View Post
Cool stuff, even though i trust Nokia a bit more then other evil corporations the N9 has lots of closed bits of software whose source code is as much private as Apple's or HTC's so his argument about transparancy is weak.
Considering the technology exists to have virtually everything necessary to log/process/transmit every and anything one could possibly do on a phone/smart device at will on a single ASIC -- well, at the point we have to subject our phones to sophisticated scanning devices to ensure they were not pre-compromised/pre-rooted -- why, that would mean we no longer have anything more than the *illusion* of privacy -- and surely you *can't* be asserting that!

<snnrrkkk>

Seriously, though: good points on either side, and I'm putting my foil hat back on, already...

~JMB

We need a "CarrierIQ checker" app like Android

I'm still afraid to buy this phone on contract from a carrier.