Active Topics

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Brazil
Hi,

I've just bought a N900. I always wanted this phone because of the Maemo system, which lets me do whatever I want.

So.. FIrst I want to be able to set my network interface to inject packages and to enable the monitor mode (which I think is already possible), so I can use aircrack-ng. It seems that I have to install another kernel called "kernel power". Is it available for PR1.3?
I also see that I need version PR1.3 of firmware. Is it upgraded normally by App. Manager? Cause I've installed the last firmware updates here.
The third thing is SSU/CSSU. Is it an app or what? I've read about it, but I still don't understand what it really changes. I watched the "Noobie video" showing the portrait mode available in CSSU, but that's all know.

Thanks.

Last edited by Alicanto; 2011-12-10 at 08:00.

Updating over the air (OTA), i.e. via wifi or 3G, is known to be unreliable. To update the firmware, do it via a pc (aka flashing). Look at the Wiki and post back if you get stuck, with the line of the Wiki you don't get/have problem with.

Re CSSU: Again, read the Wiki and post with the thing you don't get (not "can't install cssu" in a new thread).

Re: Kernel-Power: mmm. Do some reading on this first!

Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
Hahaha ok. I think I asked too early.
I'm gonna have some sleep first, then I'll read everything. Thanks.

Hmm.. so CSSU is just a way of sending unofficial firmware updates and fixes without having to reflash?

And if I have a different kernel like the kernel power installed, it would be overwritten. Right?

Last edited by Alicanto; 2011-12-10 at 09:53.

ok, first flash your device with pr 1.3 - Latest nokia firmware
then flash the kernel with kernel-power - much better kernel than the stock with loads of goodies. (latest version on -devel repo)
then install CSSU - Could define this as a sort of a service pack with updated/modified packages that will enhance the device capabilities.

you should be then having your n900 upto date,

also you could enable extras devel/testing and extras repositories for applications downloads/updates.

Its always better to read well about each of the above i mentioned, as they have their pros and cons.

hope this helps.

Last edited by nkirk; 2011-12-10 at 10:18.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nkirk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nkirk View Post
then flash the kernel with kernel-power - much better kernel than the stock with loads of goodies. (latest version on -devel repo)
Ok, I found it. Is it too risky to install from the FAM(Faster App Manager)? Should I install it manually?

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
I personally don't find installing kernel-power from extras-devel from FAM any riskier than any other methods. There are a fair few ways in which installing/uninstalling kernel-power can cause issues such as bootloops but its best to also keep a current copy of your setup so that you won't have much to lose.

Best of all is to get something like backupmenu by robbiethe1st which is available from extras-devel and its a godsend tool for tinkerers like myself.

As for packet injection with N900, neither does kernel-power nor does PR1.3, PR1.3.1 or even CSSU will provide it. The packet injection capability comes under the set of wireless drivers by lxp which is also known as bleeding-edge drivers. These drivers are best to not be replaced with stock wl12xx drivers which is provided by PR1.3 firmware as they have their own set of issues when using it normally.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tuxsavvy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tuxsavvy View Post
I personally don't find installing kernel-power from extras-devel from FAM any riskier than any other methods. There are a fair few ways in which installing/uninstalling kernel-power can cause issues such as bootloops but its best to also keep a current copy of your setup so that you won't have much to lose.

Best of all is to get something like backupmenu by robbiethe1st which is available from extras-devel and its a godsend tool for tinkerers like myself.

As for packet injection with N900, neither does kernel-power nor does PR1.3, PR1.3.1 or even CSSU will provide it. The packet injection capability comes under the set of wireless drivers by lxp which is also known as bleeding-edge drivers. These drivers are best to not be replaced with stock wl12xx drivers which is provided by PR1.3 firmware as they have their own set of issues when using it normally.
I could install kernel power directly from FAM.
I'll download the backupmenu and do a backup. Thanks for the advice.

About packet injections, I see lots of videos showing aircrack-ng working on Maemo.. Do they all use bleeding-edge drivers?
Is there any conflicts with kernel power?

Last edited by Alicanto; 2011-12-11 at 02:23.

OMFG! I did it! I've just intalled the bleeding-edge drivers!! It's awesome!!!
And I can also alternate between stock drivers and wl1251 driver!!

I love this phone!! I love GNU/Linux!!!!!!!