Posts: 17 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Hong Kong
the philosophy lies behind is somewhat similar to that behind why using linux on old computers is superior than windows on a pricy set...

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
so which is better, n9 or gs2?? sorry just a stupid question, but i lil bit confuse which that i should buy?

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
i think the cameron diaz comparison is far more apt in the cpu department than the looks department...she is 39 and starting to show her age, sounds like OMAP to me
Mmm that is one way to look at it, on the other hand I'd prefer to watch the wrinkles of present time Carmeron Diaz over the Pentile matrix of the N9 any day. The first I don't have to watch from 15cm distance.

As for the mind (software), it usually improves through ageing..

I expect the looks and especially the screen, due to its low quality, will be the aspect that makes the N9 age quickly ,not the CPU. That one is good for the next 5 yrs

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 40 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by ibrakalifa View Post
so which is better, n9 or gs2?? sorry just a stupid question, but i lil bit confuse which that i should buy?
If you have to ask that question then you're probably better off with the GS2 (or a Galaxy Nexus). Both provide more value for money than the N9, which will probably leave you disappointed since it's target audience right now is those who know why they prefer it over the GS2.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to litemotiv For This Useful Post:
Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
I know N9 is smooth and I absolutely love it but there are lags and on top recent chips would have been able to handle all sorts of HD vids and even capture full HD vids etc hence might have helped reduce limitations. I had to accept whatever it has now for I fell in luv with it at first sight so I can soothe my mind with all these higher speed cpus being battery hungry things but I definitely wouldn't prefer 2 yrs old chip to latest ones.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaeezzy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 179 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Bangalore
Originally Posted by litemotiv View Post
If you have to ask that question then you're probably better off with the GS2 (or a Galaxy Nexus). Both provide more value for money than the N9, which will probably leave you disappointed since it's target audience right now is those who know why they prefer it over the GS2.
Speaking of which... Isn't it just beautiful ! makes my heart melt !

If Nokia decides that this will be the last Meego device... So be it... I wants one...

Am I biased? - Maybe...

It's just a sad thing that's happening with the platform... The burning platform was set on fire right when those words were formulated

Can you believe it its the first variant on the nokia phone? Would it not bring so much more with time than MS can?

The Following User Says Thank You to danested For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
the saddest thing is right here in my country(indonesia) n9 more expensive than gs2, i love maemo, i want that meego, but the spec is u know, hmmmm

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Bangalore
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
What you have heard is FUD. I first started seeing this repeated as an excuse by WP7 users as a reason why they don't need faster processors or dual cores. They often shout about how these things are useless. It's sour grapes/cognitive dissonance. It's FUD, one person hears it then repeats it. Little do these WP7 users know that their OS is lmited to a WVGA resolution for a reason, by policy, and that soon they will get their dual core faster processors, at which point I'm sure they will all change their tune. Android is just the OS where the phone is not limited, where the newer technology exists, the higher resolutions exist, Flash exists, it is just currently the OS doing more and therefore needing more.

If you want actual information about how Android allocates resources look here:

https://plus.google.com/105051985738...ts/2FXDCz8x93s

As for newer faster processors being less efficient because of clock speed, again, not as easy as that since they do not operate at a single constant clock speed for all tasks and if that wasn't complicated enough you also have to consider time. For example, is a process that takes 5 seconds to complete at a lower clock before going idle more efficient than spending 2 seconds at a higher clock before going idle. I recently read a paper which said performing quick bursts and becoming idle quicker is actually more efficient but I can't find a link.

Merry Christmas everyone.
Merry Christmas !

Meego was developed in collaboration with Intel... I think being where they and the experience that comes with staying around that long would show in how resources are allocated and used in Meego.

No doubt Android optimises allocation of resources, but so do all the operating systems. That's the most important task for the OS on any smart phone(if not all the OS's)... memory/processing power/battery and more are all to be scarcely used compared to what's available on even tablets for instance.

The problem lies in overdoing the eye candy well beyond the resources available. Or to the extent where it uses a considerable amount of resources. Since this is done by the OS itself, applications are left with fewer resources, unless they make efficient use of what's left, lag <~ unavoidable. Of course we all want our phones to look awesome! No denying that
But with great looks comes the need for great power ! With great power comes ... well... more power consumption...

If you've ever used linux you would know what I mean... when I say not too much eye candy is faster(or vista for that matter to prove what excessive eye candy beyond resources means... ).

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by ibrakalifa View Post
the saddest thing is right here in my country(indonesia) n9 more expensive than gs2, i love maemo, i want that meego, but the spec is u know, hmmmm

Really? That is pretty sad....
I believe it's actually slightly cheaper than the GSII (on avg) in Malaysia.
Last I checked here (Australia) it was about the same.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-12-27 at 06:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by danested View Post
Meego was developed in collaboration with Intel... I think being where they and the experience that comes with staying around that long would show in how resources are allocated and used in Meego.
The MeeGo N9 uses, has nothing to do with real MeeGo.
It's basically Maemo6x + MeeGo compatibility layer...
MeeGo-Harmattan is just it's marketing name, a dumb one at that too.
I don't know why Nokia tried so hard to convince the LF that it should be able to use the name.
After the strategy change in Feb, they should've reverted to Maemo.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:

Tags
depression, the elop flop