Could anyone give me a hint, how to bind Alt (*not AltGr, aka right alt) to some N900 keys, using .xbindkeysrc or rx-51 (hardware keyboard remapping)?

I have finally found ideal* solution for N900 browser replacement - of course using Easy Debian, but running it directly under Maemo. The answer is *fanfares* Chromium! *not* a Chrome - that i would not touch using long stick, but lovely Chromium, that is blazing fast on N900 (using ED on dedicated ext4 partition)- mainly due to much lower memory usage - and using some tweaks, it's perfectly optimized for our touch experience. I've enabled 'dragging' method of scrolling pages, without sacrificing selecting text (or, particularly, any full-fledged browser feature), got 100% working spell checker and Lazarus form recovery, and it's fully working with extensions.

The last thing I need to make it 100% convenient for usage, is having working alt somewhere (for back/forward usage - now it requires 4 additional clicks to enable arrows, use it, and another 4 to disable). Everything else is working as it should, so with much relief, I kicked iceweasel out of device. I'll happily release set of tweaks needed to make it touch-friendly, after settling this last issue.

Unfortunately, every instruction I found google'ing, cover using alt as modifier, *not* binding it o some other real keys.

Thanks in advance

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oh and just for fun, a very NOT easy Debian:

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Could anyone give me a hint, how to bind Alt (*not AltGr, aka right alt) to some N900 keys, using .xbindkeysrc or rx-51 (hardware keyboard remapping)?

I have finally found ideal* solution for N900 browser replacement - of course using Easy Debian, but running it directly under Maemo. The answer is *fanfares* Chromium! *not* a Chrome - that i would not touch using long stick, but lovely Chromium, that is blazing fast on N900 (using ED on dedicated ext4 partition)- mainly due to much lower memory usage - and using some tweaks, it's perfectly optimized for our touch experience. I've enabled 'dragging' method of scrolling pages, without sacrificing selecting text (or, particularly, any full-fledged browser feature), got 100% working spell checker and Lazarus form recovery, and it's fully working with extensions.

The last thing I need to make it 100% convenient for usage, is having working alt somewhere (for back/forward usage - now it requires 4 additional clicks to enable arrows, use it, and another 4 to disable). Everything else is working as it should, so with much relief, I kicked iceweasel out of device. I'll happily release set of tweaks needed to make it touch-friendly, after settling this last issue.

Unfortunately, every instruction I found google'ing, cover using alt as modifier, *not* binding it o some other real keys.

Thanks in advance

/Estel
Isn't Xmodmap feasible? I do all my keyboard remappings with it.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
Hi All, I would like to know how to uninstall an application by chroot(under Maemo terminal). For example, I have installed lmms ans I want to uninstall it as it's to heavy and too slow.
Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Oh and just for fun, a very NOT easy Debian:

Considering what a crap a capacitive screen is, it's probably epic hunt to click any small button, even with voodoo capacitive styluses?

---

As for image - of course sulu's image is great base, but as I mentioned in my former posts, I've managed to replace OpenOffice with squeeze LibreOffice (which isn't trivial for many users, as it required manual dependency solving) and Iceweasel got kicked out, preparing room for N900-wise tweaked Chromium (which may be also non-trivial to less able users, as it require downloading extensions manually, extracting it, and loading from directory via developer mode), which is much more usable as everyday browser on our device (effective and much less resource-hungry, especially RAM-wise)

I know that all manual steps aren't rocket science, and writing them properly in wiki should allow even the least tech savvy people to benefit, but, it's also quite time consuming - so, You may consider uploading already tweaked image, to make users life easier

If that's what You feel fancy, I can upload my image today or tomorrow (is tar.lzma of use for You? it would be much less data to transfer, and You can unpack it into dedicated partition, then snapshot proper ED image from it. Of course, if it's too much hassle, I can backup it using other method as well).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Considering what a crap a capacitive screen is, it's probably epic hunt to click any small button, even with voodoo capacitive styluses?

---

As for image - of course sulu's image is great base, but as I mentioned in my former posts, I've managed to replace OpenOffice with squeeze LibreOffice (which isn't trivial for many users, as it required manual dependency solving) and Iceweasel got kicked out, preparing room for N900-wise tweaked Chromium (which may be also non-trivial to less able users, as it require downloading extensions manually, extracting it, and loading from directory via developer mode), which is much more usable as everyday browser on our device (effective and much less resource-hungry, especially RAM-wise)

I know that all manual steps aren't rocket science, and writing them properly in wiki should allow even the least tech savvy people to benefit, but, it's also quite time consuming - so, You may consider uploading already tweaked image, to make users life easier

If that's what You feel fancy, I can upload my image today or tomorrow (is tar.lzma of use for You? it would be much less data to transfer, and You can unpack it into dedicated partition, then snapshot proper ED image from it. Of course, if it's too much hassle, I can backup it using other method as well).

/Estel
Your own tweaked image will be highly appreciated.

The Following User Says Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
hi qole glad to meet you

you can make easynitdroid with nitdroid e-yes

like easydebian with a chroot?

Posts: 151 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Belgrade, Serbia
How to make screenshoot in easy-debian running

Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
Your own tweaked image will be highly appreciated.
The same here and with a new browser great!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to guilledoc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
Apart from the obvious changes in the package selection it also contains the patched xserver-xephyr from squeeze-backports
Sulu, is it server-xephyr package, that gets installed during apt-get upgrade with squeeze-backports repository enabled, or some specifically modified one? If the latter is true, what's the nature and purpose of modification?

Originally Posted by sulu View Post
btw:
What's the point of having contrib and non-free in our sources.list? According to vrms [3] there are only packages from main in Easy Debian.
Qole, any comment on this? I would like to correct /apt/sources.list before uploading tar.gz of my ED partition. It's minor thing, but why prepare unnecessary "possible corrections" to feed up wiki page

---

I've also come across minor issue, that I would like to hammer before uploading image. When running libreoffice from terminal, via 'debbie libreoffice', It got stuck on first logo, and following errors appear in terminal:
Code:
[Java framework] Error in function createSettingsDocument (elements.cxx).
javaldx failed! 
Warning: failed to read path from javaldx
I18N: Operating system doesn't support locale ""
(message about locale is probably unrelated). Ho ever, everything works fine, when using Debian chroot shortcut (i.e. chroot with root access). So, it seems to be privileges-related glitch - any ideas?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze