Active Topics

Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
My new cyan N9 is my new girlfriend. The other one packed her bags (how many shoes does a girl need??) and she's gone.

Hello N9. You are gorgeous.

Now, scouring through the web and mainly this forum, there seems to be a great deal of activity from the wonderful maemo/meego community to develop apps, and to also develop things that sort plug holes, such as calendar events posting to the, er, Events view

But, coming from an N900 which I only tweaked with very trusted apps (and only those I could install with a deb and not via Terminal) I'm tempted to see just how nice the experience on the N9 is without tweaking *anything*. To see if the experience, as the MeeGo developers intended it to be, can be enough without downloading apps or daemons that alter the OS, as opposed to downloading Fruit Ninja, say. Oh wait...

Another small worry is that, un like the N900, if problems develop on the N9, out here in the US, we're without a warranty and any kind of repair service for the N9, so that's something to consider too.

Has anyone else left their N9s well-alone and are happy, or is it almost required to head on over to appsformeego or Nokia Store or MyMeego and just 'go for it'?

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=21
I have downloaded applications from nokia store and their beta labs and some from other sources no negative effects so far, i make sure i dont download something that is labeled testing thats it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to somedude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
I know one person who doesn't even know how to use ovi store but yet extremely happy with his n9. Well of course I have to show him those tweaks in maemo forum, like tweaking status bar to show date. N9 at it purest is usable but much better with some tweaks, imo.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kozzi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
Cool. I think I'll go that route, just doing small things that improve the OS in small ways. I'm not about to change colors of stuff or fonts or anything like that. I quite like the designers' aesthetic decisions inside the OS.

This thing has *really* been well thought out. Its design is just stunning.

Even uber-design magazine, "domus" thinks so:

http://www.domusweb.it/en/design/portable-cathedrals/

There are at last two good reasons to "leave well enough alone":

1. The more obvious one: although (most) apps on Ovi are safe in this regard, there are a few relatively well-known apps that will lead you straight into reboot loop Tartarus. This becomes exponentially more likely, the father you deviate from the beaten Ovi path.

2. The second reason is ostensibly more subtle, but can cause much greater frustration over time.. Unfortunately it can be caused by many more apps, including ones on Ovi (and elsewhere) that may even be quite popular. Those are apps that may be resource hungry in general our frequently use power-expensive services (GPS, network, etc) that willsignificantly reduce your phone's uptime on one charge. worse yet, they may install services that are tough to find but also frequently use said services. After a number of apps has been installed, you suddenly notice idle mode using upwards of 150 mAh, where previously it was maybe 20-30. Your phone goes from full charge to low battery mode within a few hours.

The n9's battery appears anemic given its low total output rating; but the N9 makes up by remaining very power efficient for the most part and still manages to deliver some respectable talk/standby/uptimes. This fragile balance is easily undermined by said apps.

Last edited by zszabo; 2012-01-11 at 11:04.