Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
If the bugs are posted to maemo bugzilla with decent descriptions, and others vote on them, the likelihood that they will be addressed increases.
I agree. A bug I posted just yesterday has already got several replies and has been confirmed by the Nokia team. If they aren't already in bugzilla add them so they too can be confirmed and fixed. That way everyone benefits.

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ MI, USA
To sorrender's post then to
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
If the bugs are posted to maemo bugzilla with decent descriptions, and others vote on them, the likelihood that they will be addressed increases.
Not to be destructive here but to sound more like constructive critisim, what was the point of the beta then ?

As with the last two OS2007 releases it sounds as if the OS2008 Beta was a release then the actual OS2008 was "just" an update to the final OS2008 release.

The N810 with OS2008 had been in some ppl's hands for what nearly 2 months until the actual final product actually shipped.

So why does it seem there are so many bugs and problems already with the final OS2008 ?

Nobody is perfect and no software is ever perfect, but one would think that the maemo platform on the NIT hardware would hold somewhat tighter tolerances and be a bit easier to work things out because basically the NIT is a closed hardware configuration, unlike say a windows platform because there can be so many more variables with the pc platform's hardware and such testing and beta software on the NIT should in theory be much easier to do because of this.

Just because somebody is having problems with their tablet it doesn't mean it's a bug. It sounds like some people have corrupted systems. I would recommend re-flashing OS2008 and then testing the system before doing any restores or application installations. Then if you find a bug you can confidently report it.

Just because somebody is having problems with their tablet it doesn't mean it's a bug. It sounds like some people have corrupted systems. I would recommend re-flashing OS2008 and then testing the system before doing any restores or application installations. Then if you find a bug you can confidently report it.
Of course, as all you know, it's impossible to install anything in your nokias right now due to servers being hammered. So, all the problems I describe are happening in a fresh install. The bad thing is that now that I reflashed to latest OS2007, everything works ok again.

And for your information, as I stated early in thi post, I flashed the unit two times, with two different rom files: the result was the same.

So, I consider OS2008 a beta, because it's unable to give me an stable environment with a fresh install.

as I suspected, turning off virtual memory has ended my problems with os2008. Now, I will try to change my 1 GB internal card for another and turn on virtual memory.

It's strange because I use the same hardware with os2007 and I don't have any problems at all.

Well, I turned on virtual memory (swap file into internal memory card) and now everything crashes. So, confirmed the sd card corruption bug that plagued os2007 and was corrected in the latest firmware has returned.

I also purchased another sd card and the error appears after 1 or 2 hours of use.

Reinstalling OS2007 again, formatting the corrupted card and everything like a charm. Now, to bugzilla and to report this nasty bug.

Related: I notice no problems with virtual memory on the internal card. It's not a vary fast (133), 1Gig card, but I do notice it never appears when the N800 is plugged into a PC. I suspect this is plain Linux behaviour - can't mount the card elsewhere, as it's already mounted. This is probably because the N800 uses an hidden swap file on the FAT partition, instead of creating a swap partition.

I never noticed this on OS2007, but it could be I just didn't notice ;-)

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by sorrender View Post
Well, I turned on virtual memory (swap file into internal memory card) and now everything crashes. So, confirmed the sd card corruption bug that plagued os2007 and was corrected in the latest firmware has returned.
It is not the same bug as in OS2007. The OS2007 bug destroyed cards, and this does nothing of the sort.

I have a new card, a new n800 and it's only since i flashed it to os2008 that I experience problems with the card... sometimes it just disappears. And it hasn't dropped since i had it last thursday. So something MUST be wrong os2008. Can't be the card or even movement issues... many times I try to remount it manually through ssh remotely... that doesn't work. Only when I reboot it (remotely) it remounts the card on it's own... no movement during that entire period so that rules out movement being an issue totally I think.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
It is not the same bug as in OS2007. The OS2007 bug destroyed cards, and this does nothing of the sort.
That's a tad pedantic... it's definitely a bug and it definitely has destroyed my files...

On the other hand, I'm very grateful to Nokia for fixing the bug so that it only destroys my files and not my card.