Posts: 355 | Thanked: 245 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern VA
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
I don't know anything of iOS, but the fact that both the Lumia 800 and N9 can be reasonably compared to the iPhone illustrates my point. They are just A.N.Other boring smartphone. This is my beef with the N9. If someone wants A.N.Other smartphone that 'just works', they are probably better off with an iPhone or Windoze Phone. If you want more than that, then the N9 doesn't really deliver.

As for the Lumia, I took my free device, and will write software for it. But just like my N950, I probably won't use it for any other purpose.
I kind of agree with you, mostly not. Your standing within this community is way up there, I totally understand your frustrations with Nokia store when it comes to symbian and all that a quality dev like you must put up with. Hell I paypal'd you for cutetube N900 version because of how much I used it, as a customer to simply denounce this community and ecosystem as ANO is way too premature at this point. It took months for the N900 to come into its own and the same with N9 I imagine. My gf is getting a N9 and she's had every Iphone since Iphone 2, why? because it just works too. Things get stale, and a great alternative is what the market demands. It is not just our tribe, but more than you know out there. To simply wave them over to the other side I think is a bit aggregious, especially at this point in the N9 lifecycle.

I totally respect your work in this community, and if in anyway I've said anything contrary to anything you've expressed earlier, I apologize in utter sincerity in advance (this communtiy owes a huge debt to ppl like you), but beyond the deserved monetary gain there has to be something that keeps someone of your talents keeping an eye on everything that goes on here. I just think the talents and community as a whole will keep this going whether Nokia cares or not.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZackMorris For This Useful Post:
As for the Lumia, I took my free device, and will write software for it. But just like my N950, I probably won't use it for any other purpose.
Best news I've heard all day

but you actually....used.....a windows phone?!
All kidding aside, you're way too talented to be stuck in one platform. Good luck and I will support your work most definitely.

Apart from it being boring in your eyes, I would like to hear from the thoughts of a dev, what you think about the system for developing apps. How capable do you think it is etc. If you don't mind of course

Originally Posted by ZackMorris View Post
I kind of agree with you, mostly not. Your standing within this community is way up there, I totally understand your frustrations with Nokia store when it comes to symbian and all that a quality dev like you must put up with. Hell I paypal'd you for cutetube N900 version because of how much I used it, as a customer to simply denounce this community and ecosystem as ANO is way too premature at this point. It took months for the N900 to come into its own and the same with N9 I imagine. My gf is getting a N9 and she's had every Iphone since Iphone 2, why? because it just works too. Things get stale, and a great alternative is what the market demands. It is not just our tribe, but more than you know out there. To simply wave them over to the other side I think is a bit aggregious, especially at this point in the N9 lifecycle.

I totally respect your work in this community, and if in anyway I've said anything contrary to anything you've expressed earlier, I apologize in utter sincerity in advance (this communtiy owes a huge debt to ppl like you), but beyond the deserved monetary gain there has to be something that keeps someone of your talents keeping an eye on everything that goes on here. I just think the talents and community as a whole will keep this going whether Nokia cares or not.
Ummm, nowhere in Marxian's post did he denounce anything. I'm pretty sure he is NOT abandoning open source. In fact it's clear that he's here to stay where meego/harmattan is concerned. The only thing he mentioned is that he will expand his development horizon...which is good for HIM. Bills gotta be paid. Nothing wrong with developing everywhere as long as HE has the time and skill there. It also doesn't really matter what phone HE decides to use as his daily driver, I don't think that matters to US where his development plans are concerned.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 245 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern VA
I think he clearly denounced the N9, I simply stated that it is too early in its lifecycle to do so. I have no qualms with him making money, he's a talented dev that deserves an easy ecosystem to work with to make money.

Originally Posted by hotnikkelz View Post
Ummm, nowhere in Marxian's post did he denounce anything. I'm pretty sure he is NOT abandoning open source. In fact it's clear that he's here to stay where meego/harmattan is concerned. The only thing he mentioned is that he will expand his development horizon...which is good for HIM. Bills gotta be paid. Nothing wrong with developing everywhere as long as HE has the time and skill there. It also doesn't really matter what phone HE decides to use as his daily driver, I don't think that matters to US where his development plans are concerned.
Without wanting to turn this thread into "what marxian meant" I don't think what he said has anything to do with him denouncing anything OR wanting to expand his development horizons to pay the bills either (I mean if that were the case he wouldn't be calling iOS boring too and choosing to develop for WP7, that would be silly). He simply said he saw nothing particularly exciting about the N9. That to him it was just another phone/platform like any other. Why are we trying to read so much into that simple statement?

Last edited by Cue; 2012-01-17 at 17:42.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
but you actually....used.....a windows phone?!
Not for very long. Tried to sync with my gmail account and failed. Used the browser for short while. It's OK. It's probably a great device for people that have XBox 360 and depend on MS Office etc. In the end, for me everything gets unfavourably compared to Maemo5. I don't really have much use for a smartphone, because I don't use calendar, maps, social networking etc. I like my pocket computer.

Apart from it being boring in your eyes, I would like to hear from the thoughts of a dev, what you think about the system for developing apps. How capable do you think it is etc. If you don't mind of course
I haven't had time to use the SDK yet. I'll get to it pretty soon. I want to push out some updates to my Harmattan projects first. I read some of the documentation and the APIs look pretty decent. Hopefully the organisational side of things is better than Nokia Store.

My website

GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
He simply said he saw nothing particularly exciting about the N9. That to him it was just another phone/platform like any other.
Yeah, that's basically it. I'm just disappointed that Nokia decided to simply ape what Apple did four years ago. They once led, now they follow. It doesn't make sense, because there isn't enough marketing muscle behind it to allow it to compete with either the iPhone or the high-end Android devices. They may as well have released another niche Maemo device with better hardware. I think people here are trying harder to like the Nokia N9 than they would if it were from some other brand. This is a device with a shiny yet slightly dumbed-down UX that forces you to permanently void your warranty if you wish have anything approaching a truly open platform. That being the case, what is there to separate it from any of the highly polished alternatives?

My website

GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Not for very long. Tried to sync with my gmail account and failed. Used the browser for short while. It's OK. It's probably a great device for people that have XBox 360 and depend on MS Office etc. In the end, for me everything gets unfavourably compared to Maemo5. I don't really have much use for a smartphone, because I don't use calendar, maps, social networking etc. I like my pocket computer.

I haven't had time to use the SDK yet. I'll get to it pretty soon. I want to push out some updates to my Harmattan projects first. I read some of the documentation and the APIs look pretty decent. Hopefully the organisational side of things is better than Nokia Store.
Gmail didn't sync?!! wtf that's a new one lol. It's a conspiracy probably

When you do get a chance to check out the SDK, please share your thoughts.
In the meanwhile check out my shameless linking of a now defunct youtube app for WP7 which shows the potential that YOUR youtube app could probably surpass
http://goo.gl/oXGwi

The Following User Says Thank You to hotnikkelz For This Useful Post:
Gmail didn't sync?!! wtf that's a new one lol. It's a conspiracy probably
Managed to get it working now. I only tried one of my accounts before, and it seems that with that particular account, there is a problem when using @gmail.com rather than @googlemail.com. It's probably because I didn't migrate the account over to gmail.com despite all those annoying reminders that I kept getting every time I logged in using a web browser.

In the meanwhile check out my shameless linking of a now defunct youtube app for WP7 which shows the potential that YOUR youtube app could probably surpass
http://goo.gl/oXGwi
Judging from the comments and some bits I read elsewhere, they were 'forced' to remove it from the marketplace. However, I'm a loose cannon and don't care much about potential legal problems or cosying up to corporations.

My website

GitHub

Last edited by marxian; 2012-01-17 at 19:43. Reason: gmail accounts now working

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
The WP SDK (Visual Studio Express for Windows Phone) is not that bad IMHO. You get some simple apps written quickly with it, and the SDK is free of charge. XAML is no comparison to QML, but for simple stuff it's OK.

But it is not free of charge if you actually want to test the code you have written on your own device. That's where Microsoft completely f***ed it up.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post: