Notices

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by impeham View Post
Is this the way video resolution choosing screen should look like? is there a way to fix this?
Translation strings are on gitorious, the glitch should be fixed with the next update (next week as I was told)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 75 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Uruguay
Thx a lot guys, quite feedback i obtained today, thanks, thanks, thanks.... I will try to read everything on a bigger screen (currently 12") so i can read more at a time, and think translated to understand the best i can.
B.T.W. I'm used to work on linux, so i understand quite a bit, specially about apt-get wich i use to install stuf on my cellphone via ssh.
Just i'm not an expert on mostly everything.
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
Repeat after me: do not suggest to use batterypatch.
May i ask why not?
If i'm not mistaken, i already installed it. (or i read about it then changed my mind, but unsure at the moment.)

Ok, again thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to RichardN900 For This Useful Post:
yes i would also like to know why not
as it has no conflict with HD rec

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
For an answer as to why not to use batterypatch or speedpatch, just do a power-search from the column on the right for either. You will find one announce thread, and about 500 "problem" threads where people installed one or both of these and it screwed things up.

These "patches" make permanent changes to your device, with no way to undo them except a re-flash. An uninstall does not undo the changes! These changes can lead to anything from reboot-loops to the device just being flakey, including problems with camera use, calls, TV-out, USB use, and just about everything else.

There was one thread where several people (over 6) were complaining about how their device is slow and can't do even basic camera recordings. When asked what they had installed, each listed different things. The only common item for all of them was "speedpatch". (One later found a conflict between speedpatch and MaxCPU, but no other users had MaxCPU installed, and many people that have MaxCPU installed have no issues with it. So I still blame speedpatch.)

If that doesn't convince you that you shouldn't install these magic patches, where the author himself says he doesn't fully understand how or why they work, then I don't know what more I can say to convince you. These patches mess things up in ways that make trouble-shooting issues next to impossible, for little or no gain.

Sorry to be blunt, but at this point if someone says they have speedpatch or batterypatch installed (or has ever had it installed) I tell them to reflash their device and not install either patch again. I also won't help troubleshoot any of their issues again until they do so, since to do so is an effort in futility. Several other people here that are good at solving tech issues and offering that help freely (many of whom will thank this post), have started doing the same.

If you do install them, you better be good at fixing your device. Because you're not getting help for most people in this forum once you install them.

Again, this is all just our (my) advice. It's your device... install what you want. But if you install stuff that most people here are convinced is snake-oil, or that the author himself can't explain how/why it works, don't expect people to rush to your aid when things break.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by RichardN900 View Post
May i ask why not?
Look at this thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81358

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by Mohammad View Post
yes i would also like to know why not
as it has no conflict with HD rec
That is patently false. A blatant lie, and worst of all you know it.

Both patches change settings in how the system handles swapping, and in some cases adjusts settings that directly affect dsp use. Those can have a huge impact on normal recording, yet alone HD recording.

The person responsable for bringing HD recording to the N900 (freemangordon) has explicitly said that these patches cause conflicts in 720p recording. Further, the author of the patches (karam) says right there in the same thread:
Originally Posted by karam View Post
and the creation if speedpatch was a result of testing
perhaps i have no huge expert to explain how it does that
but according to speedpatch testers .. it appeared that it does something
So by his own admission, karam doesn't know what he's doing. He's making changes and basing if those changes are good or not by getting "feedback" from testers. And I'm betting most of those testers don't do 720p recording.

What amazes me, is that you know all this, because you thanked the post above! So you saw this thread, know that the leader of bringing 720p to N900 said this patch is in conflict, left evidence to the fact that you saw this, but come here and say "there's no conflict"? How can you reconcile that?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
Holy Moly...

Thanks for the warning.

As i said, i have read about it but dont remember if i installed it. I'll check and make a reflash if installed.
I dont remember reading anything about "he does not know how it works" if i read that i wouldnt install it. If i didnt maybe that's the cause.

If that's so dangerous, intrussive or negative, why does it have a place at maemo? Shouldnt be removed at least until ressults be checked?
(i panicd when i read about someone telling his 6th sense tell him that is good)

How about icons and translations?

ok.. i didnt installed it, just read about it and got confused.
http://i.imgur.com/gVCtt.jpg

Last edited by RichardN900; 2012-01-20 at 21:08.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Trust woody; i've installed both once too and had issues with DSP. Removing both got rid of some issues (regarding DSP), but not others like barcode scanning not working, unstable network etc. After i was forced to do a full reflash (for different reasons), my device was clean, fast & shiny as never before.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RichardN900 View Post
If that's so dangerous, intrussive or negative, why does it have a place at maemo? Shouldnt be removed at least until ressults be checked?
Well, because we're Free to try whatever we want on our devices - after all, it's 'not rm -rf /*'. There are many "hopeless" cases (like Mohhamad, do not confuse with MAG), and if they're happy with it, well, why to deny them?

/Estel

// Edit

For some, the most confusing thing is that karam (autor of speedbatterypatches) have actually contributed to the community few (other( useful things. The main problem with him (sorry for personal rant), is that he doesn't believe in documenting what he does, so it's like with Android kids (change something, rely on 1 feedback, then f***** push something for download, after half of year You don't remember what exactly You've changed), but worse.

I'm pretty sure, that with proper documenting, there could come some useful things from his work - few things would be busted, few confirmed, and also he (personally) would be able to head into proper direction of optimizing - yea, developers also learn while writing things, from feedback/suggestions also.

Instead, it's just a bunch of undocumented mess, with bunch of undocumented "testers" (most of them are very far from knowledgeable - to say at least - see again Mohammad), either writing that's it's great and gaining 2642374237 performance/battery gain, or that it caused lethal problems. Without any chance to benefit from such reports, as they're exactly as messy as "patches" itself - no one know what they do exactly, so no one know what exactly got screwed.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-01-21 at 00:09.

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tecs View Post
@RichardN900
An easy solution would be to install CPUTweak and load the HD Optimum profile - this would take care of most overclocking stuff for you.

You might also want to lock the frequency of CPU.
Code:
sudo gainroot
kernel-config lock 900
or replace 900 with your desired frequency.

There is no cputweak available from repositories or anything alike.

And i would never change permanently CPU frequency.

If i have to go too far on OC i'd rather lose 720p recording capablity than my phone.

Tags
camera-ui, fremantle