Active Topics

Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
the best way forward for Nokia may be to use the fabled and currently vapourware Meltemi and their hardware expertise to start knocking out phones similar to the ZTE blade /BladeII and others which are mid spec Android devices getting pushed out at £100 or so.

Chuck the Swipe interface from the N9 on them to wow and seduce the punters, and allow these devices to be "unlocked" or customised by the community like Android can be (think cyanogenmod), and there may be a real chance for them to be very disruptive in the market.
Why go through all that effort when they can just slap Maemo 5 for the high end phones and tablets and Maemo 6 for mid-end. Job DONE!!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gosh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 196 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Africa
Originally Posted by ceroberts75 View Post
well, they didnt promote the n9 at all here in the USA
This is quite obvious, as the N9 wasn't actually launched/officially offered in the US at all.

In South Africa (which got the N9 quite soon after other countries, launched in late Oct 2011), the N9 is advertised in all Vodacom and MTN stores. The N900 wasn't really officially available here at all (one Vodacom service provider did offer it) and not advertised at all. Whereas In Nov/Dec, Vodacom's handset booklet had the N9 on the front page. I am not sure how good sales have been, but I have seen a number of people with them (whereas I haven't seen one other N900 here).

The Lumia 800 was launched exclusively on Vodacom last week, I am hoping this will result in sane prices for the N9 (Vodacom's prepaid price for the N9 is about 10% higher than that at the Nokia store at Vodaworld ...).

The Following User Says Thank You to buchanmilne For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by RFS-81 View Post
Can you elaborate please. Linux is a general purpose OS, while WP has been tailored to the purpose.
To me it looks like Linux is more likely to be struggling to get the job done in future.
(that said, Linux is great, I don't use anything else on my home PCs).
What are you taking about? Linux isn't a general purpose OS, it's a kernel.
Linux-based Operating Systems come in "many" shapes and sizes...
The Linux kernel (there's many flavors) has been used in embedded platforms, & small form-factor devices since it's inception.

Originally Posted by gosh View Post
Creating a operating system for multithreaded apps is much harder compared to singelthreaded task based systems.<SNIP>
Multi-threaded != Multi-tasking.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-01-30 at 13:13.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
the best way forward for Nokia may be to use the fabled and currently vapourware Meltemi and their hardware expertise to start knocking out phones similar to the ZTE blade /BladeII and others which are mid spec Android devices getting pushed out at £100 or so.

Chuck the Swipe interface from the N9 on them to wow and seduce the punters, and allow these devices to be "unlocked" or customised by the community like Android can be (think cyanogenmod), and there may be a real chance for them to be very disruptive in the market.
Proverbial "nail on the head." And rumors are that's roughly what their plan is.
Cept we don't yet know much about the unlock-able or readily hack-able part.

Originally Posted by patlak View Post
Why go through all that effort when they can just slap Maemo 5 for the high end phones and tablets and Maemo 6 for mid-end. Job DONE!!!
Never gunna happen while MS's their primary partner.
Maemo 6x for bottom-end up to mid-end, if we're lucky.
And WP for their top-end down to mid-end devices...

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-01-30 at 14:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Never gunna happen while MS's their primary partner.
Maemo 6x for bottom up to mid-end, if we're lucky...
And WP for their top down to mid-end devices....
We are fully aware of MS's success in killing a company and its OS, UI development efforts. Two great OSs and UIs gone down the pooper as independent beings for the sake of an OS that's in a deep coma awaiting a life support removal signature.If God is fair, we'd get that signature.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
i don't know where you learned math or accounting (if at all), but 250 M$ pampering versus 1400 M$ loss sounds like a pretty bad deal to me
YoY profits on smart devices is down 550MUSD (your numbers are almost a billon off and you talk about accounting??). Then, in these 550M, some of it
- is non related to WP (can't be bothered to find the 2010 res, but they were already down at least 200M, and nothing from symbian or harmattan would have changed that in 2011)
- is due to the lack of devices actually released in 2011
- does not count the 250MUSD of bribe for staying with MS.

As first point doesn't concern MS, second point is to be reduced next year, and third point comes every quarter, including the non-Q4 ones (less volumes), it actually looks like the number are not that far off. At least not a billion.

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Maemo 6x for bottom up to mid-end, if we're lucky...
And WP for their top down to mid-end devices....
The funny thing about that is that now I've had the chance to play with a lumia, I find it feels more like a successor to S40 than my n9.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to billranton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 9 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
AFAIK the N9 sales have not been mentioned. I very much doubt anything more than 100.000 . The N9 is relatively expensive, not marketed well, and hard to get outside of select markets.
I found this

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...for-stock.html

They talk about 1.4 Millon sold N9s - is this site trustable ?

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by aRTee View Post
Guys, from where do you have those N9 sales numbers? Esp. compared to the Lumia / WP sales numbers...
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...for-stock.html