Active Topics

OK, you read but you didn't understand, please read the first post one more time, carefully.

Last edited by elemental; 2012-02-02 at 11:41.

Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Originally Posted by elemental View Post
OK, you read but you didn't understand, please read the first post one more time, carefully.
I've read it, thanks. And yes I even understood it too. Maybe you need to work out what a donation is. And isn't...

Whatever, this isn't going anywhere.

I'm tempted to buy your app only so I can redistribute it for no charge as is my right.

Long live Open Source.

The Following User Says Thank You to jedi For This Useful Post:
Of course you have right to do that, I hope it will be a move forward not backward. Best wishes

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 116 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
for $1 it's already a must-buy, but I hope you add compass support too!
Yes compass support would be very welcome, in addition to that the UI rewrite and GPS support (for initial location) would be quite nice.

(bought it)

The Following User Says Thank You to Soppa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 146 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Lisbon, Portugal
Me, I don't care. If I had to donate by PayPal I would probably not do it, I do not have a CC. Buying elemental's work for 1€ is another way of supporting his effort. As long as he publishes the code on the conditions set the the Stellarium license, I'm fine.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tigas For This Useful Post:
I'd expect the fee to be voluntary, but even if binary packages are distributed for fee only, source should be freely available to anyone, even if they don't buy the product.

Firefox add-ons for example use the voluntary donation model (see https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/firebug/). You can get the software and the source, and if you want you can contribute some funds to the authors.

Nokia Store probably just doesn't offer such functionality, that's why paying appears mandatory. Anyway, when code will be merged upstream you shouldn't have any difficulties finding it.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-02-02 at 19:02.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Seeing as elemental doesn't seem to want to share the source, it's available here: https://bitbucket.org/elemental/stellarium/overview

Not surprisingly, it doesn't differ from the original source much.

While elemental's actions are legal by the definition of the GPL, I find it quite unethical that he is profiting from the hard work of many, many people just for the sake of changing a few bits of code. I, like countless others, have spent lots of years in the open source community, giving my time and my code for free just to make the world a better place - for absolutely no charge whatsoever. If this didn't happen, your phone, your computer and your internet would be a very different experience right now.

One line I noticed that has been changed - from:
"SET(CPACK_PACKAGE_DESCRIPTION_SUMMARY "Stellarium is a free open source planetarium for your computer. It shows a realistic sky in 3D, just like what you see with the naked eye, binoculars or a telescope.")"

...to:
"SET(CPACK_PACKAGE_DESCRIPTION_SUMMARY "Stellarium is a planetarium for your computer. It shows a realistic sky in 3D, just like what you see with the naked eye, binoculars or a telescope.")"

Long Live Open Source.

The Following User Says Thank You to jedi For This Useful Post:
Well, it's clear you haven't understood my first post. As I said the 1euro fee should be considered as a donation for EmuMaster work mainly. Some of you are happy with that. But if you really want to be it for free at Ovi Store then you, people decide and I will set it as free, no problem.

BTW: I haven't said I added much, I added gps support mainly as I wrote.

Last edited by elemental; 2012-02-03 at 11:09.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elemental For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by elemental View Post
Many of you like my EmuMaster application already and many of you requested to publish a paid version in the store to support me with a donation. But policy of Ovi Store do not permits to publish the same content twice.
How about this,
paid app -> ovi store
free app -> apps.formeego.com

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nicolai View Post
How about this,
paid app -> ovi store
free app -> apps.formeego.com
I have not much time today to upload it to apps.formeego.com but it's available from https://bitbucket.org/elemental/stellarium/downloads now.

Last edited by elemental; 2012-02-05 at 13:47.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elemental For This Useful Post: