Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by vitaminj View Post
But the OS wasn't finished? I get the feeling that Harmattan wasn't always Ahtisaari's Swipe-fest though - did they have some intermediary thing that could have been ready earlier?
When I showed Nemo on my N900 to a Nokia guy, he said it looked like the old Harmattan. So there must've been something, and I suppose what we saw on those leaked photos from China last year was that old Harmattan.

Rumour has it that the N8 was intended to be the first Harmattan device, even. But Harmattan didn't make it in time.

finished or not finished in the last year, right now N9 is a finished and well made product, they have it now, and in the mean time (the supposed gap that they wanted to fill) they have achieved nothing with winmo and not much of that is expected going forward. So, in these times instead of messing with winmo and loosing so many quality employees, if they had kept on producing some successor to n97/e7 with *real* good hardware, they would not have lost more then all the time that they have wasted already treating winmo as a holy grail. And in the time they have released N9, they could have announced like 3 harmattan handsets, N950 like keyboard edition, the totally good looking N9, and one more with maybe a dual core processor.

Elop is unbelievably stupid to have treated harmattan the way he did. He has a pretty poor foresight. Maybe he somehow just believes that when in trouble, instead of innovating one should just sell himself to others. This is what they did with macromedia, which probably worked out good for them, but that is not the way for all companies.

Originally Posted by misterc View Post
between the two, there is plenty of leeway for N10 / N960, me thinks
Lets hope those will be more polished than E8: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piubvIL_IGE

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
When I showed Nemo on my N900 to a Nokia guy, he said it looked like the old Harmattan. So there must've been something, and I suppose what we saw on those leaked photos from China last year was that old Harmattan.

Rumour has it that the N8 was intended to be the first Harmattan device, even. But Harmattan didn't make it in time.
If it's any similar, then this must have been the old Harmattan.

Old harmattan ui

Still looking better than WP.

Windows Phone will not be able to compete until Apollo. In apollo it may be on par with systems today.

This says it all: http://pocketnow.com/windows-phone/e...one-8-detailed

Stuff that is coming there means that it lacks that functionality now. What is Nokia thinking?

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Originally Posted by gosh View Post
Windows Phone will not be able to compete until Apollo. In apollo it may be on par with systems today.
The key word being today lol so in 6-9 months WP will be on par with what other ecosystems (sigh) offer people today. noone here sees the phail

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by gosh View Post

This says it all: http://pocketnow.com/windows-phone/e...one-8-detailed

Stuff that is coming there means that it lacks that functionality now. What is Nokia thinking?
So true! Here are some things that Windows Phail 7 lacks:
  • support for multicore processors
  • Choice of screen resolutions
  • removable microSD card
  • NFC radios
  • "contactless payments"
  • capability to be carrier-branded and controlled
  • share capabilities ... accross multiple platforms (surely not Linux, right?)
  • Allow developers to reuse desktop applications code.
  • Dropping Zune and back to ActiveSync.
  • Integration with MS version of DropBox, Skydrive
  • Skype integration
  • basic camera interface (API?)
  • tracking of data usage
  • attempt to give Wi-Fi connections precedence
  • planned use of a proxy server to feed pages to Internet Explorer 10 (BigBrother?)
  • BitLocker encryption

Still not Qt integration. Still no Python port. Yawn.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Oslo - around
Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
From a Vodafone locked Nokia users point of view (until I got my N900), I can quite understand where he's coming from. He just needed to look deeper and further afield than just "salesmen".

The networks are partly to blame for Nokia's demise, in the fact that they have been in control of software updates where their branded handsets are concerned.

For example- My old N95- 8GB is still on the latest Vodafone branded firmware, which happens to be 2 versions behind the generic Nokia version, with "No further updates planned, as we haven't been told of any newer versions" (Vodafone's words on their forum).

Even with the N900 they tried to restrict updates and services. Type my N900 product code into NSU and it will tell you what the latest "Vodafone approved" firmware is. T-Mobile refused to stock the device because Nokia didn't and wouldn't provide a means for them to fill it up with their network lockouts and corporate bloatware, same reason that Orange didn't stock it. O2 stocked the N900 for a short while, but because customers couldn't use O2's services they steered customers away towards competitors devices.

Vodafone customers had to fight tooth and nail to get PR1.3 for the N900. Vodafone didn't release the "Pre- PR1.3" patch, so they had to go to Nokia and beg for a double release because PR1.3 couldn't be installed over PR1.1. Once they got that sorted they still took months to release because they had to "Test it to see if it worked with all Vodafone's services". Eventually, the truth was leaked by a Vodafone employee that they were trying to have the "Unsupported" apps and services removed (things like Skype and other services).
You should be blaming Ofcom to allow this. It protects the UK market and the existig infrastructure and creates artificial obstacle to anyone with new ideas in the market. It is also related to the UK's telco industry use of contractors and not on loyal employees. The competence level with the UK operators reflect this, just as this is reflected in your monthy invoice.

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Oslo - around
Originally Posted by patlak View Post
A CEO must be dumb in order to integrate such things in a crappy OS that doesn't shift devices. Why lose time, just slap the current ready, well received OS with lots of demand and potential sales? Unless, Nokia is a MS owned...

Forcing an OS which has been disliked by pretty much 99% of the consumers is like shooting a mosquito in the dark.
You can use LGE on your N900, it is all up to Qualcomm, but they can roam even calls. The N900 runs Linux, so its just to refine the radio and make the handover.
That is the difference between Windows and Linux.

Well Microsoft paid Nokia $2650 million for the stunt that probaly cost Nokia around $700 million. So soon comes payback time.

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Lets hope those will be more polished than E8: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piubvIL_IGE
Nice to see another Ashens fan here If you haven't already I would recommend seeing the Pandora review.

Anyhoo, back on topic

Tags
blame others, deluded fanboys, kidsbeingkids, lumiadork, ms will die, salesdroids, the elop flop, wp blows