I'm a big fan of fbreader, but on OS2008 the scrolling by pressing the screen does not work anymore. I'm running version 0.8.8d-1 of fbreader. I looked at the settings, but I didn't disable the finger tap scrolling.

I'm guessing it has to do with the bug about the finger board. In some other threads people discussed not being able to acces the large finger board, but only when double tapping. I tried double tapping, and tada, it is scrolling. However this is very very annoying.

Can other people confirm this behaviour? Is OS2008 just not able to see the difference between a stylus and a finger tap?

Thank is advance.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Fadsjeik View Post
I'm a big fan of fbreader, but on OS2008 the scrolling by pressing the screen does not work anymore. I'm running version 0.8.8d-1 of fbreader. I looked at the settings, but I didn't disable the finger tap scrolling.

I'm guessing it has to do with the bug about the finger board. In some other threads people discussed not being able to acces the large finger board, but only when double tapping. I tried double tapping, and tada, it is scrolling. However this is very very annoying.

Can other people confirm this behaviour? Is OS2008 just not able to see the difference between a stylus and a finger tap?

Thank is advance.
I remember having the same "issue" when upgrading from the 2005 to the 2006 version on the 770. A new version should likely solve this, provided you let the author know about the bug.

Thanks for your reply. I assume you mean the author of fbreader, right? Also can you confirm that the finger tap scrolling doesn't work as well as before? Or don't you have any issues? What methods do other people use for scrolling?

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Thanks for your reply. I assume you mean the author of fbreader, right? Also can you confirm that the finger tap scrolling doesn't work as well as before? Or don't you have any issues? What methods do other people use for scrolling?
I never found the finger scrolling very reliable. I have remapped the center button of the D-pad to pageturn; this works nicely for me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karel Jansens For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
I never found the finger scrolling very reliable. I have remapped the center button of the D-pad to pageturn; this works nicely for me.
Interesting, I gave that a try myself as well, I never found the finger scrolling reliable either, but right now it is just plain horrible. The center button solution works great (too bad for N810 users though). I'll file a request over at the fbreader site for improved finger tap registration.

One other question (since you're an fbreader pro). In some other thread you made a comment on the bitstream font you used. Where did you get this font and how did you install it? Thank!

Interesting, I gave that a try myself as well, I never found the finger scrolling reliable either, but right now it is just plain horrible. The center button solution works great (too bad for N810 users though). I'll file a request over at the fbreader site for improved finger tap registration.

One other question (since you're an fbreader pro). In some other thread you made a comment on the bitstream font you used. Where did you get this font and how did you install it? Thank!
They reside in many repositories. If you go here and do a search on "bitstream", quite a few places should show up. IIRC, they are also automatically installed with the osso-xterm package, although ITOS2008 will probably have frakked that up as well. Personally I find Bitstream Vera Serif very pleasing to the eye, more than compensating for the fact that you get a little less text on the page than with the default Nokia serif font.

Oh, and I'm not a pro. I just read a lot.

Thanks. Had the repositories up already, but had to enter red pill mode. The Bitstream vera serif indeed looks very nice!

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Stockholm, Sweden
After I upgradet to OS2008, and reinstalled fbreader, I had to go into the preferences and adjust the pressure of the stylus on the "tap"-tab. I jacked the minimal setting up from 0 to 50, and the maximum from 50 to 90. Now finger-flipping pages works great again.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bow For This Useful Post:
Ah, thanks. I feel so stupid now, but changing the settings works great. I changed them a bit to test, but that didn't help. The words minimal and maximal make things a bit counterintuitive to me.

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Specifically, how do you do this?