Notices

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by tecs View Post
Found a bug in the filtering algorithm on the 'Select Keyset' screen:

Select 'Make' -> Panasonic
Look at all the 'TV' keysets
Select 'Device' -> TV
Only 'Panasonic TV Keyset 1b' shown
As the old saying goes, "that's not a bug, that's a feature!" Well, ok, yeah, that's kind of a bug, but not in the coding sense, more in the design sense. I put the "filter by device" feature in to try and utilize the compatible device data I've been slowly feeding in to Pierogi. But, if you check out the Device Compatibility List, you'll notice that "TV Keyset 1b" is the only Panasonic TV keyset with any devices listed. It's going to take some time to build up a real database of what devices work with what keysets.

I probably shouldn't even have that filter in there until more device data is available. (I could also just claim that all the Panasonic TV keysets support Panasonic TVs, but I'd prefer not to make that claim until I've received confirmation that the keysets work on at least one TV. The data I'm using to create keysets in Pierogi is not necessarily trustworthy in all cases...)

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tecs View Post
Found a bug in the filtering algorithm on the 'Select Keyset' screen:

Select 'Make' -> Panasonic
Look at all the 'TV' keysets
Select 'Device' -> TV
Only 'Panasonic TV Keyset 1b' shown

I haven't checked that all other 'Devices' filter out correctly on all 'Makes' but there might be other bugs like that. I think it might even be possible that some keysets are missing if you filter only by 'Make'.
Ya i noticed Select Keyset window has issues selecting. Sony + Dvd wont bring up anything. But sony dvd keyset is available and working flawlessly too. It seems like a basic coding issue. I cant look at the code as i dont have IDE setup with linux. Logic seems to be wrong and needs to be worked on.

e.g. Acer - Tv - no tv keyset but it is there etc etc etc .. it can be repeated with every manufacturer name or by selecting device before manufacturer.

Originally Posted by niqbal View Post
Sony + Dvd wont bring up anything. But sony dvd keyset is available and working flawlessly too.
Ah! If you have a working Sony DVD player, please add it to the Device Compatibility List. Once that keyset has a supported device, it will show up when filtering. (I forgot, I have a Sony DVD device I can add that list myself...)

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 314 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Bratislava, Slovakia
Dear Copernicus,

I was wondering if you´d have any opinions on this:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82346

I´m looking for something to be working on Pioneer devices (AVR/BDP),
do you think there´s any chance to make this?

Thanks a lot

Originally Posted by jleholeho View Post
I was wondering if you´d have any opinions on this:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82346
Hmm. I suppose coverage of bluetooth remote controls would be one way to extend a product like Pierogi. I guess I should look into it a bit.

I've gotta admit, though, that I'm finding I really do prefer IR to bluetooth. IR uses a lot less power, is extremely easy to work with, and is compatible with an enormous range of devices. (Including Pioneer.) I suppose if you've got an N9 and not an N900, though, this isn't something you want to hear...

thanks for that...
the thing is that a WiFi remote control could almost completely replace traditional IR remotes íncluded with the AV devices...
since all newer AV devices are connected to network for Internet radio streaming, DLNA, web browsing, BD Live...
shame is that iOS is hugely supported in this, you can have a decent WiFi remotes for Pioneer, Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, NAD, even Bang and Olufsen + almost all most-commercial brands like Sony, Samsung, LG, Panasonics....and the apps look nice, work good and are constantly updated...and the AV brands strongly support using these apps as a replacement of traditional remotes...they advertise it everytime at specs with respective product...

Last edited by jleholeho; 2012-02-20 at 14:19.

Originally Posted by jleholeho View Post
the thing is that a WiFi remote control could almost completely replace traditional IR remotes íncluded with the AV devices...
Only to a certain extent. Being able to control a device remotely is quite convenient, but Bluetooth/Wifi/etc. controls are still far more expensive than IR. And, of course, not everybody on the planet has an iPhone. Yet. (Thank goodness...)

iOS is hugely supported in this, you can have a decent WiFi remotes for Pioneer, Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, NAD, even Bang and Olufsen + almost all most-commercial brands like Sony, Samsung, LG, Panasonics....and the apps look nice, work good and are constantly updated...and the AV brands strongly support using these apps as a replacement of traditional remotes...they advertise it everytime at specs with respective product...
Well, that's the thing -- it's not too hard, or too expensive, to create a decent remote control app for a particular phone. But it gets harder if you try to support multiple architectures. And it is practically impossible to get every customer to use the same WIFI device -- you can't just give away an iPhone or iPod Touch with every AV purchase. But you can just give away an IR controller, they are that cheap to build.

iOS devices are so widespread today that it is cost-effective to make them a remote control mechanism for many devices. But they aren't widespread enough to make them the primary remote control mechanism. At least not yet. IR will continue to be around for quite a while to come (unless they start giving away bluetooth dongles with every purchase -- I could see that happening).

Yep, very true...

the damn AV brands should put ALL the existing mobile OS on the table and release one app working for all...iOS, Droid, WP, Symbian, Bada, Linux-based OS...and that´d pretty much cover every possible market in the world, since global assumption is that the person who buys such AV device probably has a mobile phone, too...or at least there´s a chance...
then they could simply include the original remote only upon requests...

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Rome-Italy
Good evening and sorry for the inconvenience. United can add TV please?
Many thanks in advance best regards from Rome, Italy Fabio

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Thanks for the update again.

Will report back on Virgin Media and Sky+ HD when I get to test them.

How's the Sony issue going?
If it helps (probably not) I haven't got a keyset to work with a Sony amp yet. Haven't got Model Number to hand but can get it.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:

Tags
infrared, pasta, remote, remote control