Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by zszabo View Post
Still trying to figure out how to incorporate changes (usually done using make menuconfig) which are used to build the final kernel image. Is there a comprehensive wiki that contains this information, specific to Harmattan/Meego? I did figure out how to get make menuconfig to run, but a) I'm not sure the default configuration is the same as what goes into the actual kernel image (and, needless to say, I'm not entirely comfortable with flashing a kernel image that may brick my N9); b) either a number of settings are missing, or configured elsewhere (for example, how would I modify the settings for Netfilter?).
From thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=78490

Build Kernel:
First install Harmattan Platform SDK and download the kernel source with “apt-get source kernel".
then build kernel in scratchbox using the commond

Code:
[sbox-HARMATTAN_ARMEL: ~/kernel-2.6.32] > make rm581_defconfig

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
From thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=78490

Build Kernel:

First install Harmattan Platform SDK and download the kernel source with “apt-get source kernel".

then build kernel in scratchbox using the commond

Code:
[sbox-HARMATTAN_ARMEL: ~/kernel-2.6.32] > make rm581_defconfig
Thanks -- that's exactly what I was looking for.

The Following User Says Thank You to zszabo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zszabo View Post
Thanks -- that's exactly what I was looking for.
Great, I think we can possibly ask the guy who compiled the working openmode kernel also (Been told its Joerg, thought initially it was Jalyst or Javispedro).
Let me know if you need more help, or testing on flashing

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
(Been told its Joerg, thought initially it was Jalyst or Javispedro).
Let me know if you need more help, or testing on flashing
joerg_rw or joergrw over at forum.meego.com

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
joerg_rw or joergrw over at forum.meego.com
joergrw over at forum.meego.com
Not sure, if its the same guy PM'd joerg here, so lets see what he says

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
I say "I'm only hosting this kernel, I don't even have a build environment for it"
IIRC there was absolutely nothing special in how the kernel got built, according to the kind anonymous guy who provided it.

For the poster some up, and his concerns about "flashing a kernel to N9 that may brick it": please read the readme.txt and other doc snippets on my cloud-7 site, there's no need to *flash* the kernel, you as well can load to RAM and execute in situ - will vaporize to nuttin on next powercycle (BEWARE! Any changes done to / and maybe working under openmode kernel still will cause secure mode aka stock aegis kernel go MALF on next boot, even when openmode kernel got RAM-loaded)

cheers
jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
I say "I'm only hosting this kernel, I don't even have a build environment for it"
IIRC there was absolutely nothing special in how the kernel got built, according to the kind anonymous guy who provided it.
Apologies, has been a while since I'd read all that.
Hey how's usb host-mode progressing....
Can you please give us all an update in the FMC thread?

Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post

For the poster some up, and his concerns about "flashing a kernel to N9 that may brick it": please read the readme.txt and other doc snippets on my cloud-7 site, there's no need to *flash* the kernel, you as well can load to RAM and execute in situ - will vaporize to nuttin on next powercycle (BEWARE! Any changes done to / and maybe working under openmode kernel still will cause secure mode aka stock aegis kernel go MALF on next boot, even when openmode kernel got RAM-loaded)

cheers
jOERG
Thanks mate, it is helpfull to know that (being careful) we can boot just the kernel, without flashing.

Now that we officially have the PR 1.2 with us we need the open kernel for PR 1.2 to begin to testing things, i will try to make it work on N9: wireshark, ettercap, dsniff, sslstrip and other petesting tools that already works in the N900.

i think too the inyection drivers for N900 will work too for N9, the network card is almost the same, belongs to the same company and generally in the world of networks cards the same driver is used for a large variety of networks card of the same company.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to -Tyler- For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by -Tyler- View Post
Now that we officially have the PR 1.2 with us we need the open kernel for PR 1.2 to begin to testing things, i will try to make it work on N9: wireshark, ettercap, dsniff, sslstrip and other petesting tools that already works in the N900.

i think too the inyection drivers for N900 will work too for N9, the network card is almost the same, belongs to the same company and generally in the world of networks cards the same driver is used for a large variety of networks card of the same company.
The drivers are definately usable, quite sure about that. Just the compat-wireless that needs to be recompiled. Thanks, and hope we can make it happen !

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: