Active Topics

have you tried attaching it to your computer and seeing if it will go into usb mode? You need to press a button before starting it up, I forgot which one.

Originally Posted by rr0123
have you tried attaching it to your computer and seeing if it will go into usb mode? You need to press a button before starting it up, I forgot which one.
I contacted Nokia Support, and they said if I could connect it through USB and reflash the firmware that it should work because it's a software problem. Problem is, my computer isn't seeing it. Which button do you think it is?

I found out it was the Home key. Well, I tried it on 2 different PC's, and both times it told me "The USB device is malfunctioning. Cannot connect to the USB device." So I guess I have to send it for repair and wait 7 or so days....

OR, you guys think a store like BestBuy or Circuit City or CompUSA or Walmart or SOME store that sells the 770 will let you exchange a product without a receipt? Because that would be much easier...

Would recon this being a warranty thing. I will contact NOKIA support today but most probably leave it in a service center for replacement.
Since we are at least two with the same problem at a short time this bound to be a HW problem.

Note that if you lean the screen to look from above or from under you may see a faint NOKIA logo initially that makes up those grey lines. Then you will see that itīs infact booting but with corrupt screen.

Ok well I packed it all up and am shipping it tomorrow morning via overnight shipping. I always have the worst luck....

I am having the same problem. Got mine 4 days ago and started having the problem yesterday. Would not power on, did not think to check if the screen was just not powering on from the tip above. However, when I plugged it back into the charger it would then power up. Now the screen has "smears or vertical lines" through it. I can get it to boot and work but the screen has not fixed itself. Is mine toasted as well?

A possible scenario: The battery runs dead, and the user tries to reboot with the dead battery. The weakened battery either doesn't turn on the screen and he/she turns the unit off, or the 770 dies during bootup. Either way, the bootup cycle is interrupted, which could be corrupting the video drivers, the USB drivers, and who knows what else.

This is just a guess... but for Windows users, it can be a very bad thing to power off during bootup. If this is the case with the 770, Nokia needs to detect and protect the unit when this happens, or at the very least allow system critical drivers to be reinstalled in the event they become corrupt.

Just to be safe, though - if the battery runs down, plug it in before you try and reboot.

dandrewk

I was thinking along the same path, but mine was fully charged. I just unplugged it from the PS this AM and it would not boot. I plugged it back in, and it booted, however, with the new "smears" on the screen. I thought maybe for some reason it had not charged overnight, even though it was plugged in, so I left in on the charger and the battery registered fully charged in about 2 min. This kind of rules out a dead battery senario, but maybe not a defective battery or power circuit?

Here are some pics of what my screen now looks like...
Attached Images

Yuk. Have you tried to reflash the OS?

Yeah, reflashing was the first thing I thought of as it really looks like the display drivers are corrupt. But, the reflash did nothing.

One thing I noticed that was weird before it happend is this. I used it for almost 4 hours last night after I loaded VNC viewer (really cool by the way, was messing with the wife while she was on her PC for about an hour before she figured it out). And, I have been using it to surf the web for the last 4 days (a lot). But, last night, it was getting hot in the upper left hand corner (would like to know where the chip is for the wifi, I suspect it is in that area). It was also dropping the connection so much it got annoying, I was only about 15 feet max from the access point. Anyway, this morning after leaving it in the charger all night, that's what I got as described above.

I have played with it for a while now and it really seems to me like the drivers are bad. It will display B&W pretty well, but anything with color has the steaks and is almost unreadable. Not sure if I will be able to get a new one as I won this at a charity event, I guess I made a bigger contribution then I thought. Oh well.