Posts: 77 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
This is a large part of the problem. Store staff are usually lazy and it's easy for them to simply sell the most popular phones so for instance the iphone4s and GalaxyS2 tend to be recommended regardless your wants and needs.

At the same time people are like sheep, as soon as one of those phones everyone is using is recommended, it sounds familier so they easily sold on its features, even if it may not be the ideal phone for their needs, this is quickly forgotten when the sales talk starts.

Personally I'm kind of the opposite, the more people try to push me to certain brands or models, the more I look to see what is it about that device that makes it so special, and if I'd be better served with that less hyped handset that has caught my eye at the other side of the store.

I've with a couple of exceptions, never owned the most popular handsets, yet I've always felt I've owned the best handsets for he features that are most important to me.

I don't really care if MeeGo is dead or not(apart from the shame we will not see future Meego devices), it's certainly alive and kicking in my N9 and there's very little more I could want from it just now, I'm happy.
> You are right, the main thing is you are happy with it, and it helps you, People who say Meego is dead fail to realize, you cannot kill Ideas, So it will always be alive. somewhere, somehow in someform,

>That i believe is the most important thing, if you are happy with N9, you may always be-able to get support, 3RD party support, parts on the Internet etc.. and frankly, most smartphones do the same thing. there is no major Leap yet...

> I have a good idea about how media advertising works, so i have an idea why people say it's dead. Hint* (people want to be included, it's called Club Mentality and the other reason is having value)

> I heard, that every samsung galaxy S2 or Android that is sold, they get a commission or something, but windows phones, they do not. but i cannot confirm this, apart from my experience which would suggest it is true, because she was really trying to make me buy i even asked her if she would lie to me

Posts: 120 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by specc View Post
They could sell N9 everywhere. That is not the issue. In Europe only enthusiasts got the N9. I'm sorry to say it, but enthusiasts have a hard life in NA, UK and a couple of other places due to the dark force called operators. Other places phones are freely available, and people can switch operators every day if they want to (dual SIM phones for instance). The result is that the N9 would sell in so small numbers, even among enthusiasts, that there is no point doing it. ...
Well of course the N9 is rather popular among enthusiasts, because many "simple" smartphone users aren't even aware that the N9 exists. I'm in a country where they sold N9 from the beginning, now it's unfortunately poisoned by WP but this country is so anti-windows (one of the highest Mac OS / Linux / iPhone usage word-wide) that it won't have any chances anyways.

Many people were scared to buy a N9 when it was fresh, because Nokia missed to advertise it. Users thought it would be the "by-media-old-told" Symbian, heard the suicidal announcements of Elop or the lacking support.

But still, I saw already a couple N9's (since I use the train a lot) - most used by people who don't look like enthusiasts at all (not that I can judge that, but my feeling). PS, vs 0 seen Lumia's - but that can be, because I don't want to see them.

The N900 is a fully enthusiast/geek phone, while the N9 isn't and was never meant to be. But Nokia, those fools, tries to make the N9 to a niche-product.

Therefore the N9 ISN'T dead at all at this moment. But yes the future doesn't look very bright, because the biggest enemy of the N9 isn't the iPhone or an Android, it's Nokia.

I have to mention that I have nothing against WP per-se. Even thought of buying one before the N9 came out. But having tested it now a couple times it's just obvious that WP is such a step backwards towards MeeGo or Symbian. Those live-tiles are a nice idea, but after a while most people will realise that a good notification page (which even iOS 5 has now) is much better. And I guess I don't need to mention all the missing features of WP... I'd rather buy an iPhone then, because at least I have tons of applications to choose from. BTW MeeGo already now has more quality apps than WP! (Quality apps = all apps - commercial apps - feed apps - advertisement apps - apps you can replace with a website)

I often wonder, why should I even have a Nokia phone when the company is run by such incompetent people? Well the N9 might be my first and last Nokia smartphone, but never before I was so satisfied with a phone and still used it with such joy after months since purchase. Everything I tried to implement to my iPhone through jailbreak (ok iOS 5 finally has some basic features), the N9 already has and much more.. and Android, well they're pretty good, but to buggy. Just compare once a Skype-call on N9 and Android. First is a joy while 2nd a shame.

The problem is that many iPhone (or WP) users don't even know what a phone could do. Somehow the intelligence of users got lowered through the iPhone. To me it always was a mystery why with that smartphone I have less functionalities than with a typical mobile phone (like bluetooth transfer, FM Radio, mass-storage, etc...).

There are many curious friends (90% iPhone users) asking about my phone, especially when I tell that it's not Windows. In most cases they are absolutely excited about it (system and look) - girls and guys (except for Apple-fan-boys who defend everything) and realize how cramped they are with their Apple-phones.
And believe it or not, with Maemo5 or Symbian I never could have left such an impression to other phone users like with MeeGo.

But there we are again at the incompetence of Nokia and Amercian shareholders trying again to destroy good foreign products and replace it with own crap...

Last edited by almamo; 2012-03-24 at 10:21.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to almamo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 120 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by Ashbeck View Post

but for first time users, I recommend wp7 because they can get support. and learn from it, Learning about smartphones and just what it is. how it works, and what it does.

Thats what windows is trying to do, Appeal to first timers -- thus, the metro UI, it's suppose to be clean and simple.
I totally agree, for smartphone beginners WP is ok, you can't do anything bad with it and it's not a bad system at all. I also like the idea of those cheaper Lumia phones. But I don't see why a typical iPhone user, Android or Symbian/Meego should switch to WP. Each of those platforms offer something which makes them special - WP doesn't, except for the different, fast UI and those tiles - but is that enough? I doubt.

I wonder how the upcoming WP update will be, because the actual version just will never be able to compete. Microsoft spends tons of money into developing apps and advertisement (or get a free Xbox, free WP etc...). Without that they wouldn't be anywhere - and they can't keep finance their own product for ever...

Anyways, this thread is about MeeGo... sorry

Originally Posted by almamo View Post
[...]
Anyways, this thread is about MeeGo... sorry
well, WP & Flop's denial for MeeGo (or Symbian, for that matter) are the primary reason ppl see MeeGo as dead... many (mobile) news site only mention MeeGo because (thankfully in their eyes) NOKIA replaced it with WP...

Originally Posted by almamo View Post
[...]
I wonder how the upcoming WP update will be, because the actual version just will never be able to compete. Microsoft spends tons of money into developing apps and advertisement (or get a free Xbox, free WP etc...). Without that they wouldn't be anywhere - and they can't keep finance their own product for ever...

[...]
metro is going to be... more like metro
they screwed that pretty well up, why should they change it?

maybe a new thread (indeed >¦-)
what more is needed to make WP utterly useless?!?
  • NO phone calls whenever battery below 90% charge... only m$ updates
  • block all 09xx numbers (it's all pervert, right?)
  • block all 08xx numbers (they are free, providers don't get money from that )
  • and the list goes on, Ad vitam ęternam...

:|

Would think porting Meego to Samsung Galaxy S2 would not be impossible. And later to Galaxy S3. That would rock (until Tizen is ready).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
This is a large part of the problem. Store staff are usually lazy and it's easy for them to simply sell the most popular phones so for instance the iphone4s and GalaxyS2 tend to be recommended regardless your wants and needs.

At the same time people are like sheep, as soon as one of those phones everyone is using is recommended, it sounds familier so they easily sold on its features, even if it may not be the ideal phone for their needs, this is quickly forgotten when the sales talk starts.

Personally I'm kind of the opposite, the more people try to push me to certain brands or models, the more I look to see what is it about that device that makes it so special, and if I'd be better served with that less hyped handset that has caught my eye at the other side of the store.
Now I guess I'm really going off-topic(and this is my second post here so that says something) but in my experience things were the exact opposite - I went into the store sure I would come out with a galaxy 2 when the staff just kept pushing me towards the N9...good thing they did as the UI on the Samsung would have killed me.

Anyway I have yet to see a reason not to use MeeGo even though it was declared "dead" when the only thing I find missing for now is the whip app(shown on tbbt).

EDIT:Nope found that one too.

Last edited by BananaOnDrugs; 2012-03-25 at 02:32.

Originally Posted by specc View Post
WP, on the Lumias at least, is indeed snappy. It is perfectly fluent, fast and generally a very nice experience. The N9 is slow at times, dead slow, I have to wait several seconds sometimes for anything to happen.

MeeGo is dead Get used to it.
Lumia does not have usb mass storage, bluetooth, that's a deal breaker already in certain regions. Plus the overdependence on Zune, that's it.
N9 is fluid & snappy. Copying large files to other devices is not a headache. And of course, the swipe
Yeah, Nokia close in Romania, cut jobs in Finland, etc, then they come over to Asia, familiar story

Oh, why people say Meego is dead? Cos Microsoft & Elop killed it

Last edited by eaglehelang; 2012-03-24 at 14:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to eaglehelang For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by balisingh View Post
on april 9th I m buying the lumia 900 regardless of what you fools say. its got to be better than n9, with a bigger screen, battery, faster processor and network. the only thing it doesn't have is Qt and Linux.
I think you and Lumia deserve each other. Have fun.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SamGan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 292 | Thanked: 294 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Milan, Italy
Originally Posted by BananaOnDrugs View Post
the only thing I find missing for now is the whip app(shown on tbbt).
Missing no more! :P

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
Would think porting Meego to Samsung Galaxy S2 would not be impossible. And later to Galaxy S3. That would rock (until Tizen is ready).
Ever noticed that nobody has really talked about getting MeeGo onto anything as of yet?

I'm more than likely not aware of everything going on - don't mind admitting that, but I've seen Android go to an older Windows Mobile - not Windows Phone 7 - and ICS onto other platforms and machines, but only MeeGo went only so far to the Nook Color, but that was MeeGo tablet, not the handset version we'd know and love.

So... there's Nemo. But it doesn't exactly have Harmattan's Swipe UI. So why isn't MeeGo being ported to other devices? Why isn't there activity in that area like there are over other devices - look at XDA Developers for some serious activity in that regard.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
buysomethinelse, it's undead, maemo's dead, meego's dead, r-d-f, tizen lives, winding down