Active Topics

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
I did a huge 2007 wrap-up on tabletblog.com featuring my favorite articles from the year. At the end, I put in the following 2008 predictions:

* More Linux embedded devices will hit the market and the Intel/Moblin devices will rely heavily on Nokia's experience with Hildon/maemo.
* The WiMAX Nokia Internet Tablet will be delayed but they will have working demos in early 2008 (they may even have them at CES) but won't be able to sell them until Sprint deploys the network.
* WiMAX, EVDO, or HSDPA will be an option in nearly every super-portable this year.
* Big-time developers will embrace embedded Linux systems more but 2008 will still not be the year of the Linux smartphone. Too many apps are still in perpetual beta and consumers won't trust their primary devices to run Linux yet.
* This Linux push will mean there will be at least one major GPL lawsuit in the embedded device space - a result of companies not properly understanding the responsibilities of open-source development.
* Cloud storage will become mainstream - especially for media. Pressure from Orb, Slingbox, Rhapsody, WeBot, MP3tunes, and others will lead to iTunes and Microsoft offering their own brands of remote library storage.
* Bluetooth will get another revision or be replaced with an entirely new technology.
* A fully functional entertainment/Web 2.0 laptop form factor machine will hit the market for $200 and promptly sell out.
* Apple will offer something smaller than a Macbook but larger than an iPhone. Users will be excited at announcement and disappointed at launch.

What are your predictions?

The Following User Says Thank You to thoughtfix For This Useful Post:
I predict repository confusion (at least on my part) to trend with the subprime mortgage market. I just hope for a correction in both before the end of the year.

* Nokia will announce an N900 with a processor running at over 600 mhz, wifi, wibro, and whatever bluetooth-like thing there happens to be. It'll have an even better keyboard. And, Os2009 will revolutionize the market's UI standards as will as usability when released sometime in Decemember of '08.

(I can dream, can't I?)

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
Do you know how thrilled I would be if I could convert my UMPC into an oversized Internet Tablet with OS2008, a 40 gig drive, and all the browsing/chat/Email apps of the tablet without the Windows overhead?

Very thrilled. Sadly, I cannot do that.