Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
How does it differ from iPad? Everything that comes to the market will be compared to iPad
How about simply "not better"?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Enterprise support on WP7 is somewhat lacking, now no AD on Win8?

Seriously dumb decisions being made right now.
Sometimes I do wonder, is MS very stupid or very clever. On the one hand I think that their crippled products are a stupidly missed opportunity, on the other I think their crippled products are a calculated move. I've noticed that the things that they're not including are things that threaten their other products. They may be scared of cannibalizing their more lucrative and monopolized business of selling the more expensive laptop/desktop OS. Every feature that I've seen missing/crippled in their phones are features needed for a laptop/desktop replacement. Lack of HDMI out/docking, limited processing power, crippled Office app, no real multitasking no AD. It's as if they don't want to speed up the laptop/desktop replacement until Apple and Android threaten it enough. Sadly it's Nokia that is falling behind because of it.

Last edited by Cue; 2012-04-23 at 02:32.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
Sometimes I do wonder, is MS very stupid or very clever. On the one hand I think that their crippled products are a stupidly missed opportunity, on the other I think their crippled products are a calculated move. I've noticed that the things that they're not including are things that threaten their other products. They may be scared of cannibalizing their more lucrative and monopolized business of selling the more expensive laptop/desktop OS. Every feature that I've seen missing/crippled in their phones are features needed for a laptop/desktop replacement. Lack of HDMI out/docking, limited processing power, crippled Office app, no real multitasking no AD. It's as if they don't want to speed up the laptop/desktop replacement until Apple and Android threaten it enough. Sadly it's Nokia that is falling behind because of it.
Let's also not forget artificial limitations like limiting the number of users that can connect to a remote desktop server, limiting how much RAM a 32-bit system can address (even though Linux 32-bit can address a LOT more RAM and a change of DLL's can make Windows 32-bit address FAR more RAM as well--so it's clearly a designed limitation, and so on and so on.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
I know many people atm see the full blown PCs as a dieing species, but I have to disagree. Even though I myself do most of my home computing tasks on a tablet now I would never want to live without a high powered PC at home. For the forseeable future there are just too many things a tablet can't do. Microsoft would be wiser to focus on their strengths on the desktop market instead of sinking billion after billion into unsuccessful attempts to gain a foothold into the mobile market.
Windows 7 had the genes to be the foundation for a near perfect desktop OS, and instead of using this potential they bastardize it with their metrosexual WP Gui. I have played with both Windows 8 previews and I find them totally unacceptable as a Desktop OS. If the finished W8 will really look like this and lack even a start menu, I and many others will stick with W7. Maybe we are really seeing the beginning of the end of M$.

Sorry for being somewhat off topic.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Let's also not forget artificial limitations like limiting the number of users that can connect to a remote desktop server, limiting how much RAM a 32-bit system can address (even though Linux 32-bit can address a LOT more RAM and a change of DLL's can make Windows 32-bit address FAR more RAM as well--so it's clearly a designed limitation, and so on and so on.
The limitation of the 32bit Windows Client to 4GB was indeed a design choice. The reason stated for this was legacy 32bit drivers not being compatible. (Source : Windows Internals 5th ed.)

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Dublin
I mentioned this before and i'm still convinced this would be the way forward.

Imagine the N9 and the N950 were developed further. Better, bigger screens. Better battery. Top of the line dual or quad core processors and more RAM.

You buy your phone. You take it home. You unbox it.

You connect the USB from your phone to your computer. And Nokia Suite opens.

It asks you one simple question:

Choose your operating system

Android
Windows Phone
MeeGo

Each operating system will be made for the device and will work perfectly. How about that for an ecosystem?

You wanna try windows, you got it. You wanna make sense of Android.. there it is. MeeGo, it's there.

Puts the power of choice back with the consumer and we get to use it on the hardware we all want to use.

Not only that, but people who would normally have gone with Windows or Android would get that exposure to MeeGo that they normally wouldn't.

It would be win win for Nokia, Windows and the Linux community.

Originally Posted by casketizer View Post
I know many people atm see the full blown PCs as a dieing species, but I have to disagree. Even though I myself do most of my home computing tasks on a tablet now I would never want to live without a high powered PC at home. For the forseeable future there are just too many things a tablet can't do. Microsoft would be wiser to focus on their strengths on the desktop market instead of sinking billion after billion into unsuccessful attempts to gain a foothold into the mobile market.
Windows 7 had the genes to be the foundation for a near perfect desktop OS, and instead of using this potential they bastardize it with their metrosexual WP Gui. I have played with both Windows 8 previews and I find them totally unacceptable as a Desktop OS. If the finished W8 will really look like this and lack even a start menu, I and many others will stick with W7. Maybe we are really seeing the beginning of the end of M$.

Sorry for being somewhat off topic.
I foresee touchscreen tablets and phones replacing most laptops and eventually desktops. Not so much serious workstations or even gaming PCs, I think they will always be around, but most of them. MS are not the only ones who are adopting an unpopular touch friendly interface. Ubuntu are actually ahead of MS in adapting their OS UI for touch friendliness. Ubuntu's new Unity UI received the same backlash from those more familiar with regular Gnome. I too dislike it but it has its supporters too.

Originally Posted by Faustino View Post
I mentioned this before and i'm still convinced this would be the way forward.

Imagine the N9 and the N950 were developed further. Better, bigger screens. Better battery. Top of the line dual or quad core processors and more RAM.

You buy your phone. You take it home. You unbox it.

You connect the USB from your phone to your computer. And Nokia Suite opens.

It asks you one simple question:

Choose your operating system

Android
Windows Phone
MeeGo

Each operating system will be made for the device and will work perfectly. How about that for an ecosystem?

You wanna try windows, you got it. You wanna make sense of Android.. there it is. MeeGo, it's there.

Puts the power of choice back with the consumer and we get to use it on the hardware we all want to use.

Not only that, but people who would normally have gone with Windows or Android would get that exposure to MeeGo that they normally wouldn't.

It would be win win for Nokia, Windows and the Linux community.
i.e a carriers worst nightmare.

I foresee touchscreen tablets and phones replacing most laptops and eventually desktops. Not so much serious workstations or even gaming PCs, I think they will always be around, but most of them. MS are not the only ones who are adopting an unpopular touch friendly interface. Ubuntu are actually ahead of MS in adapting their OS UI for touch friendliness. Ubuntu's new Unity UI received the same backlash from those more familiar with regular Gnome. I too dislike it but it has its supporters too.
In my experience most people that get a tablet and use it heavily still keep their PC around. This might change when tablets become more powerful and support higher storage capacity. But I don't see this happening anytime soon.

i.e a carriers worst nightmare.
Heh, exactly my thoughts on this post too.

Tags
backdoors, buysomethinelse, danrantos, goodbye nokia, lumiadork, lumiaturd, nsa_cia_lumia, seasons in sun