Closed Thread
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
It's akin to a survey asking "what bike do you want" then listing a number of bicycles and one which people associate with a popular motorcycle. (...)

Basically you cannot come to any conclusion from this survey.
Yes, that is EXACTLY what the survey is like. And you know what? Most people buy their computers EXACTLY like that. They don't know squat about what market it's for, or what variant, they just like the colour, and it has Windows.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
This was mentioned before in this thread, yet Nokia doesn't realize this conflict of interest.
Oooo... considering the new CEO at the helm, I think Nokia's head certainly knows it and "he's doing a heck of a job!" I'm pretty sure. Heh

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
And now how old is THAT article?

all the stock has gone down today cause of the damn southeuroppean mess especially one country...

Not everything is because of Nokias problems...
That article isn't so old that it didn't seem perfecly relevant and still accurate on all counts. You seriously want to claim that the Nokia's stock went down JUST because of a single country's failure--a country they're not even based in? Might Nokia have weathered that far, far better if not for "Nokia's problems?" (You'll note I fixed your plural/posssessive error.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
At the end of the day, if I had remained in with my NOK stock, I would have lost 5.00 USD per share.

I've threatened folks for less than that. Nokia needs to get themselves pointed in the right direction post haste.

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
They will not destroy the mobile market, that's true, but to me they seem like they are holding back on features, specs and programs so that the laptop is still a necessity for anybody who buys a WP. Its reliance on Zune software, it's poor office app, lack of video output/docking to a monitor, that sort of thing. They want you to buy both a pc and WP even for tasks where the PC is no longer necessary. They make far more from their Windows license. Nokia will fall behind like this.
My argument was more pointed at showing how MS can't do anything to stop the mobile market from spreading. In fact they might weven get run over by it. I agree with what you said though and how Nokia is cought in the middle. But serves them well for being anusholes

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Zoxir View Post
My argument was more pointed at showing how MS can't do anything to stop the mobile market from spreading. In fact they might weven get run over by it. I agree with what you said though and how Nokia is cought in the middle. But serves them well for being anusholes
When you lay off employees and you lower headcount, you often claim it's for efficiencies and savings, right? Nokia stock is just... tightening up, getting more efficient! Streamlining! THAT'S the ticket!

Microsoft is very, very quickly becoming irrelevant. Even PC gaming is starting to suffer against gaming consoles and portable gaming from phones and tablets. These new Tegra 3 (four/five-core) processors are quickly becoming INCREDIBLY capable of high-end gaming--and they're PORTABLE! That's pretty much Microsoft's last saving grace for Windows on the desktop--gaming. Beyond that, there's very little anybody NEEDS Windows for anymore and even the component manufacturers are starting to court Apple and Android manufacturers for a piece of the future. Does anybody remember 2005 when Palm was desperate enough to try to keep themselves relevant that they even started making Treo smartphones with Windows? How does history record that working out for them? Zoxir might have a point AND history to back it up.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2012-05-15 at 09:34.

I think "irrelevant" is premature. Microsoft never did better.

Originally Posted by volt View Post
I think "irrelevant" is premature. Microsoft never did better.

You know what they say about the fire in the candle. The future is clearly mobile and MS is less than relevant there. Of course they wont disappear since 1-2 generations of IT dumbfvcks were raised to believe that active directory is better than mothers milk and there's always XBOX and Office which they will have to port to other OSes. But it will become the giant noone cares about kinda like IBM in the 90s

As much as I hate to say it, it's impossible to deny the continued expansion of the mobile space at the expense of the desktop segment (like danramos clearly pointed out).
Sadly, by this time it's also becoming increasingly clear that almost every other choice than WP for main OS was a better one. Not even factoring in some capital mistakes like asking developers to halt writing apps for your main OS and nonchalantly abandoning another that, for all it was worth, brought a surprise smile on the face of anybody who's had the chance to use it.
I kept thinking that maybe things would sort themselves out, that somehow they would steer themselves on the right track.
But it turns out I was wrong. Share price, market share. Most importantly, mind share.
It is my belief that Maemo, in all of its incarnations, was designed to and indeed would have become the obvious upgrade path for Nokia's high end (and by this I'm not meaning some crappy 2010 processor with a 2009 - N900 - screen resolution).
Were it not for Stephen Elop.
Therefore you are right, Lumiaman, Stephen Elop crushed my mobile phone-related dreams, and also an entire hopeful community's. (that's not to worry, I have a whole lot better things to dream and become excited about).
I will have nothing more to say here. The rest is silence (and I'm afraid, for Nokia too).

And since we were talking about MS Forbes chose Ballmer as worst CEO

"So today Microsoft, after dumping Zune, dumping its tablet, dumping Windows CE and other mobile products, is still the same company Mr. Ballmer took control over a decade ago. Microsoft is PC company, nothing more, as demand for PCs shifts to mobile. Years late to market, he has bet the company on Windows 8 – as well as the future of Dell, HP, Nokia and others. An insane bet for any CEO – and one that would have been avoided entirely had the Microsoft Board replaced Mr. Ballmer years ago with a CEO that understands the fast pace of technology shifts and would have kept Microsoft current with market trends".

Failop will be devastated

That's pretty much Microsoft's last saving grace for Windows on the desktop--gaming. Beyond that, there's very little anybody NEEDS Windows for anymore and even the component manufacturers are starting to court Apple and Android manufacturers for a piece of the future.
Desktop Applications are still the only way to go if you want to do something productive, and guess what, people are actually more willing to spend money on something they need for doing important stuff.

As much as I hate to say it, it's impossible to deny the continued expansion of the mobile space at the expense of the desktop segment (like danramos clearly pointed out).
I only use mobile and tablet when I am on to go. At home my ultrabook still does everything better and is more comfortable to use, at work I have a desktop of course.

Bottomline, the desktop still rulez and will continue to do so for a long time.

Closed Thread

Tags
goodbye nokia, investing, last quotes, lumiatard, samsung, specc=ericsson, stock, the elop flop, the flop elop, tizen