Active Topics

Hi all,

Since yesterday, when I connect my N9 to the Nokia charger, the phone shows the 'choose USB connection' options (obviously this shouldn't happen because that charger is, well, just a charger). Next, it shows the 'not enough power to charge from the USB in order to charge the device'. Before I didn't have this problem at all.

When I plug the N9 into my laptop, the same problem occurs. In this case however, I can't connect the device to the laptop AT ALL, not through Nokia Link, not through PC Suite, not via the 'mass storage' option. Connecting the phone via Bluetooth to PC Suite works just fine.
In both cases (connect via charger/connect via laptop), the N9 charges VERY slowly (ie. after 1 hour of charging battery level is at 11%)

The only logical explanation that I can come up with is the fact that I've recently moved to a country with a very humid climate. When I look at both the small end of the USB cable and the USB port of the N9, I see blue-greenish colours on the metal, which I think is oxidation. Oxidation makes cables go bad. I've tried several micro-USB cables, problem didn't go away, which is why I think the USB port suffers from oxidation too. Phone nor cable have ever been wet.
I guess the only possible solution is dropping off the phone at a Nokia Care Point. Does anyone know if this problem will be covered by warranty? Phone is only 6 months old.

my problem has been mentioned in this topic before.

Thanks!

try cleaning it with a Paper(not too hard) which is visiting card thick, 1/3cm broad & 5cm long(so that it bends if you apply too much force)

Last edited by immi.shk; 2012-05-16 at 06:31.

Thanks for the tip. I tried what you suggested, it had no effect. Phone displays the same behaviour as before.
Does oxidation count as a valid reason to demand a repair at a Nokia Care Point?

whenever you go to any Customer Care... Never tell them Too much Details.. Just tell them "this thing is not working" and let them think about it...

giving them too much details will waste our time and provide them a reason not to help Us..

Last edited by immi.shk; 2012-05-16 at 13:25.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to immi.shk For This Useful Post:
that was my plan. thanks, I'll update when I get back from the Store (won't be soon though)

im kindda having this problem now too, in my case, any wall charger won't work. i tired samsung, apple, and nokia. it will show both use as mass storage option and sync followed by "not enough power to charge from the USB in order to charge the device"

but if i connect to computer usb, it will charge normally, with the option as mass storage and sync of course.

any thing to make the wall charger work again?

The Following User Says Thank You to Forged For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Forged,

After the "Not enough..." message wait for a few seconds and it should start charging as normal...

Are you sure your wall plug is ok? Maybe the chargers are ok but the socket is not outputting enough current?

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
I had this problem when I was in a very humid location (Thailand) for a while. My phone wouldn't charge and USB to PC stopped working too. Just something to consider.

If you think it could be humidity, stick the phone in a sealed bag of uncooked rice for 24 hours or more... or do as I did and suck air through the USB port of the phone. 18 months since I had the problem and I haven't had a recurrence.

The Following User Says Thank You to Xagoln For This Useful Post:
Right, After the "Not enough..." message, it will charge but it will take too much time. 1.5 hours of charging will give me about 45% of juice. So to get 100% juice, i need like 3.5 hours of charge? which make no sense. Through PC usb 1.5 - 2 hours of charging us enough to make 100% juice.

But the first time im using N9 i don't have this problem tho. It only appear after the night i update the system from 1.2 to 1.3.

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 710 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Beirut, Lebanon
Hello, I had this problem and the solution is too simple but takes time (As in 1 month). I tried a lot of ways but none worked. But since you need to plug it in several times to make it charge, keep doing it daily, plug and unplug and plug and unplug again and do it over and over. As you do it, the port and plug will become less wet (due to moisture) and the charging will take less times to be plugged in to work. Later on, the port will be completely dry and your laptop will recognize the device again as well as it will charge from the first time. This is what I came up with. Since this issue has been happening to me since 1.5 months and was annoying me a lot. But yesterday out of no where it worked suddenly. And this is what I came up with in my thread

Originally Posted by Dave999
I will vote AMD for president next time if I'm having any shares during next meeting.

Do good for a human being and like my art page!

Last edited by AMD; 2012-12-05 at 18:10.