Notices

works like magic now. Thanks MartinK!

The Following User Says Thank You to droll For This Useful Post:
Posts: 676 | Thanked: 1,067 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Kyiv, Ukraine
0.31.13:
Left top corner in Options behaves as standard "task switcher". It may be a useful feature but the "back" button in About is blocked this way.
Also it jumps to South Atlantic Ocean for a second after startup
modrana still terminates if I leave it inactive for a while:
* all modules loaded (12289 ms), 12713/13505 ms
* all modules initialized (792 ms), 13505/13505 ms
** whole startup: 13505 ms **
Preloading theme "base" from cache
GET
(u'currentTheme', u'default', 'default')
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Do you need a dump?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to int_ua For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Originally Posted by mick3_de View Post
The same for me. There is a segmentation fault at the end:
Do you have CSSU installed ? It is (unfortunately ?) a prerequisite for running the QML GUI as Qt Components & PySide are badly broken on vanilla PR 1.3 Fremantle.

This looks like running under QML 1.0, which doesn't have PinchArea and some other types/properties. Still, it should have crashed sooner on import QtQuick 1.1, which should not be available without CSSU.
QtQuick is available by installing qtquickcompat, or it pretends to be.
Is it necessary to install CSSU to get modrana-qml working? Could the Qt dependencies of Modrana be specified more clearly?

Which version of interface should be better for battery life - in case I need to travel for day or more, while electricity is scarce?

Thank you. The program is as enjoyable as ever.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Hi Martin. First of all, congratulations for the software, and thank you.

Some questions: the qml gui is not fully functional yet, right?
And what about this error: "//usr/lib/qt4/imports/com/nokia/meego/PageStack.js:123: TypeError: Result of expression 'page' [undefined] is not an object."?

Thanks again.

The Following User Says Thank You to doublezero For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by bipinbn View Post
Thank you very much buddy, also when you get time can you please check on Route Info window after the route gets calculated , the text in the window get jumbled up due to too much data, it will help if we reduce the font size.
Yep, checking the number of lines & changing the font size accordingly should do the trick.

Originally Posted by int_ua View Post
0.31.13:
Left top corner in Options behaves as standard "task switcher". It may be a useful feature but the "back" button in About is blocked this way.
I think this is the default behavior for the Maemo 5 Qt Components port - it tries to fix the lack of Swipe by basically adding invisible Hildon style window controls. So clicking the upper left corner will probably close modRana.

As modRana has no need for these invisible buttons due to the fullscreen toggle button on the map screen, I'll have to check out how to disable them (or change the behaviour so that it won't clash with the back button).

Also it jumps to South Atlantic Ocean for a second after startup
Thats the geographic point, where both latitude & longitude are equal to zero.
I'll change it to the last known position in a future update.

modrana still terminates if I leave it inactive for a while:
Do you need a dump?
Well, why not. But I've never worked with crash-dumps before, so also a pointer what to use to analyze it would be welcome.

I'll also try to do some stress testing to check if I can also manage to make it segfault. BTW, I've also had quite a few segfaults initially on Fremantle:
  • after importing python-mobility - solved by this contraption as found in a bug-report somewhere
  • random segfeaults & segfaults when minimized - solved by making sure no GTK/Gobject/Hildon stuff is accidentally loaded when running with the QML interface
GTK & company making Qt application segfault is quite a weird combination, considering that for example the latest AGTL has a QML interface, which is used together with a Gobject based (signals, callbacks) "core".

Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
QtQuick is available by installing qtquickcompat, or it pretends to be.
Yes, it is, but it only supports QtQuick 1.0. CSSU & Harmattan have 1.1. Also, on non-CSSU Qt Components have a different namespace (org.maemo.fremantle vs the usual com.nokia.meego).
As a result, I would need to maintain two versions for all QML files - one for vanilla Fremantle which has the Fremantle QtC namespace & uses only QtQuick 1.0 features (no pinch area, no image caching, some other missing properties, etc.) and then a "normal" version for CSSU & Harmattan.

Due to the missing features in QtQuick 1.0, just replacing the namespace won't do, I would have to to synchronize the changes between the two by hand. And the QML files change a lot - it's just too much work.

Actually, I tried to make a separate non-CSSU QML files for Mieru - but even after changing the namespace & commenting out all the QtQuick 1.1 features, the application started, but with a very broken layout & there were other issues (no support for multiple decorators) caused by the old PySide version. Never got it to work usably on non-CSSU in the end. I have since then upgraded my N900 to CSSU, so I don't have a real device to test the non-CSSU version on anyway.

Is it necessary to install CSSU to get modrana-qml working?
Yep.

Could the Qt dependencies of Modrana be specified more clearly?
Well, the "classic" GTK interface is still usable without issues on both CSSU and non-CSSU, so old Qt version should not be preventing users from running modRana with the GTK GUI.

But I can (and probably will) add a runtime Qt version detection. If it detects Qt version < 4.7.4 (Harmattan also has 4.7.4, non-CSSU has 4.7.0) it would show a "You need to upgrade to CSSU to run the new QML based modRana interface." instead of just crashing.

Which version of interface should be better for battery life - in case I need to travel for day or more, while electricity is scarce?
Probably the QML interface.
The GTK interface:
  • does full screen redraws only
  • redraws at least once per second even if nothing changes
  • when drawing the map, tiles are laid-out, rotated, scaled, etc. again on every redraw
  • runs everything on CPU

Don't really know about how QML handles screen redrawing but I'd guess it should be much more efficient. Also, it either uses some form of GPU acceleration or is just much more optimized, consider how much more smooth it is.

Still, might be interesting to compare the two in some simple battery usage benchmark.

Originally Posted by doublezero View Post
Some questions: the qml gui is not fully functional yet, right?
And what about this error: "//usr/lib/qt4/imports/com/nokia/meego/PageStack.js:123: TypeError: Result of expression 'page' [undefined] is not an object."?
This happens when you press a menu on a button that points to a page menu/screen that is not yet present. Nothing serious.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Claremont (LA), California
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Well, why not. But I've never worked with crash-dumps before, so also a pointer what to use to analyze it would be welcome.
gdb is the most common tool. But I'm not sure what you'd learn. With an interpreted language like Python, what you get is a traceback that tells you where the interpreter died. Connecting that to a problem in the Python source is almost impossible without intimate knowledge of how the interpreter works.

My experience is that the Python interpreter never crashes due to segfaults; Python programs die with exceptions. Given that fact, I think that a traceback from the console wold be vastly more useful than a crash dump.

The Following User Says Thank You to gkuenning For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by gkuenning View Post
My experience is that the Python interpreter never crashes due to segfaults; Python programs die with exceptions. Given that fact, I think that a traceback from the console wold be vastly more useful than a crash dump.
I don't think it is Python crashing, most probably either Qt or Qt Mobility (or both) segfault and take the rest of the program down with it.

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Modrana has stopped downloading new tiles on my N900. It still displays the cached tiles I have downloaded in the past, and properly positions me on the map, but whenever a new tile is needed, I just get the "Loading..." message which never clears. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Modrana, but that did not help. I have tried both Wifi and 3G network connects, and I have verified that the network was functional. No luck. I have also verified that the Openstreetmap site was online and functional when I did these tests. Has anyone else seen this problem, and/or has some idea how I can fix it?

Hi Martin.

First of all, congratulations for your excellent job. I appreciate very much.

I'm facing serious problems when trying to batch download an area for my Google Map layer. Downloading "on the fly" is (almost) always efficient and fast, even via cellular network, but the batch downloading always fails - with few exceptions.

My /home/user/.modrana/map_config.conf sets "http://mt1.google.com/vt/"
as the url where the Google Maps are supposed to live, but opening such an url with my browser gives the error message "Your client has issued a malformed or illegal request. That's all we know.". Is this the issue?

A good solution could the Sqlite batch import scrip discussed at
http://modrana.org/trac/wiki/SQLiteT...rtPerlScriptEN. The
problem here is that the perlscript mapconvert I've downloaded
from http://www.beermad.org.uk/mapconvert doesn't work in my linux box running Fedora: the error message is "install_driver(SQLite)
failed: Can't locate DBD/SQLite.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
/usr/local/lib/perl5 /usr/local/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl
/usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 .) at (eval 5)
line 3. Perhaps the DBD::SQLite perl module hasn't been fully installed,
or perhaps the capitalisation of 'SQLite' isn't right. Available drivers:
DBM, ExampleP, File, Gofer, Proxy, Sponge, mysql. at ./mapconvert line 24".

Which are the packages required? According to the listed dependencies, it seems that the rpm packages perl-DBI and perl-DBD-MySQL should meet the requirements, but, although I've installed them, I get the previous mentioned perl error message.

Thank you very much for any help.

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
Modrana has stopped downloading new tiles on my N900. It still displays the cached tiles I have downloaded in the past, and properly positions me on the map, but whenever a new tile is needed, I just get the "Loading..." message which never clears. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Modrana, but that did not help. I have tried both Wifi and 3G network connects, and I have verified that the network was functional. No luck. I have also verified that the Openstreetmap site was online and functional when I did these tests. Has anyone else seen this problem, and/or has some idea how I can fix it?
Nevermind - I found the problem. The Network Usage option Only For Important Data had been set. Apparently downloading tiles is not considered important. Selecting Unlimited Use of Network fixed the problem.

Last edited by Ken-Young; 2012-05-25 at 23:36.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps