Active Topics

I have had my n810 for about a month now and have been constantly reviewing the forums on this site as well as doing my own google searches on various topics. I am a complete noob to linux, and need help in several areas. Let me just start off by saying you guys rock! You have helped me in unparalleled ways and I sincerely thank you all for your hard word and dedication to the ITT community. With that said, I have always been computer savvy all my life but for some reason I can't get the hang of this linux stuff. Let me remind you I am in no way shape or form looking to develop. I am simply talkin about getting the right deb files and repositories. I have so many questions I don't know where to start. I really love this tablet but am thinking that all this time spent trying to learn linux has been more hassle then fun. I am as dedicated as you folks are and will diligently continue to learn. With that said, I was wondering if anyone can help me with the following?

1) I am aware that the n810 comes with GPS however what is maemo mapper? Is that the same as navcore and wayfinder? Will the map that I have pre installed on this unit suffice or will I need maemo?

2) I am trying to upgrade the IM nokia upgrade but what the heck is red pill and blue pill? Sorry for sounding redundant but I am a newbie to linux and dont mean to ask dumb questions.

3) I tried to install kagu and kmplayer however they start to load but nothing happens? I know I am missing files but which ones? THis is the part that aggravates me the most I know there is a learning curve but everywhere I search I don't understand what files you guys are talking about with all do respect.

This is just a start of my long list LOL I'm hoping someone can help me. Hedgecore where are you? LOL I'm learning but not as quickly as I'd like and still feel intimitated. Can you guys help me?

Warmest regards,

Brian

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
With that said, I was wondering if anyone can help me with the following?

1) I am aware that the n810 comes with GPS however what is maemo mapper? Is that the same as navcore and wayfinder? Will the map that I have pre installed on this unit suffice or will I need maemo?
Maemo Mapper is just an alternative to the builtin Maps or Wayfinder. It's better than the builtin Maps, IMHO, in usability and function. I'm not sure if it will work with the existing maps because I deleted them in favor of using MaemoMapper to just download maps for my local area. There are also several choices of maps which you can use. Wayfinder appears very nice but very expensive so I haven't bothered with it. Usually when I'm trying to decide between applications, I just go ahead and install them and if I don't like them - I just uninstall - I would recommend that in case for you.

2) I am trying to upgrade the IM nokia upgrade but what the heck is red pill and blue pill? Sorry for sounding redundant but I am a newbie to linux and dont mean to ask dumb questions.
AFAIK, red/blue pill is something exclusive to Maemo - I've never heard of it before & I'm not a total noob to Linux. Anyways, red pill mode allows you to become a super user in Application Manager and this enables to see packages that are otherwise hidden when in blue pill mode (which is the default). To "take the red pill" you go into Menu ->Tools->Applications Catalog -> tap on 'New' -> in the url space type 'matrix' -> hit cancel -> choose red or blue when asked. The only thing I would caution against is don't go deleting things willy-nilly you could get into a world of trouble if you do.

3) I tried to install kagu and kmplayer however they start to load but nothing happens? I know I am missing files but which ones? THis is the part that aggravates me the most I know there is a learning curve but everywhere I search I don't understand what files you guys are talking about with all do respect.
I'm not sure what going on there - Did you install these from Maemo.org? Are you sure you installed the ones for 2008? Have you tried to uninstall and then reinstall? Does it say installed successfully? If not then go to Menu -> Tools-> Log and see what the error messages are there. If there are missing files it will list them here. You can then go to www.gronmayer.com/it/ and do a search for the missing packages. The answer will be given in a list of repositories that hold the packages you need. You can then add these repositories to your catalog and the apps should install properly then.

This is just a start of my long list LOL I'm hoping someone can help me. Hedgecore where are you? LOL I'm learning but not as quickly as I'd like and still feel intimitated. Can you guys help me?
I'm no Hedgecore - but I hope that this has helped at least some

The Following User Says Thank You to PinCushionQueen For This Useful Post:
WOW! Pincushion, after taking a deep breath and reviewing your ever so kind and immediate reply... EVERYTHING MAKES SENSE! LOL Thank you so much however if I delete the preinstalled maps can I use the rest of the internal memory card on other things being as the internal maps take up most of the 2 gb? Do I install maemo mapper on the unit itself or on the internal mem card?

Brian

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
You will install Maemo Mapper like any other.app, then you will be able to specify where the map data goes.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
(I'm no Hedgecore either, just a loser with too much time on his hands and a rusty old 770. Mr. Antilles actually knows stuff.)

Crap I just answered what I could and noticed Pincushion beat me to the punch. Alls I'll do is echo her sentiment, don't screw around in Red Pill mode too much. Really.

Edit: Oh, and as far as map files go... Since the memory cards are formatted FAT(far as I know) you have to worry about cluster size. For example (and my numbers are wrong here I bet), if you have a 1 byte text file on a 1GB memory card, it takes up 16K automatically just by existing, plus the 1 byte. I remember someone having a 1GB card and having 1GB of maps (file allocation size included) and when they went to a 2GB card they could fit the same number of map files on there because the cluster size jumped up to 32KB.

Last edited by Hedgecore; 2008-01-06 at 00:35.

I'm going to twist the scenario around a little bit just to get you to do some of the legwork.

Try and search the forums/wiki/maemo website/google/etc and answer the questions you have. Write what you believe the answer to be and I/we will aim to reply with "yup - that's right" or "no - it's actually..."

So for example "what is maemo mapper? I think it's a route finding application like Wayfinder."

"Well..you're right. Except it has no offline routing information available."

Just an example.

Originally Posted by PinCushionQueen View Post
I'm not sure if [Maemo Mapper] will work with the existing [Wayfinder] maps[...]
MM can't use the Wayfinder maps because those maps are vector maps while MM (like Google Maps, Google Earth and others) uses raster maps.

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Originally Posted by yabbas View Post
I'm going to twist the scenario around a little bit just to get you to do some of the legwork.

Try and search the forums/wiki/maemo website/google/etc and answer the questions you have. Write what you believe the answer to be and I/we will aim to reply with "yup - that's right" or "no - it's actually..."

So for example "what is maemo mapper? I think it's a route finding application like Wayfinder."

"Well..you're right. Except it has no offline routing information available."

Just an example.
What?

You mean seach without quotes... "site:http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums what is maemo mapper? I think it's a route finding application like Wayfinder."?