There is no point arguing, the push implementation of the N9 is simply broken. Most Symbian's phone can deal with it.

LOL polarbear. I don't think you understand how IMAP IDLE works. IMAP IDLE is not a polling-based push system. IDLE simply maintains a connection (no data transfer) and sends a NOOP every 15-30 minutes.

This is why IMAP IDLE is the most (energy) efficient push system when implemented correctly - something Nokia did not do on the N9.

Google is your friend.

Originally Posted by polarbear View Post
I don't think you really understand push... Your device stays awake keeping a connection continually open to the server to watch for new mail. To make an analogy of it, it's like I forced you to stay up the whole day and night staring at my mailbox so you could tell me as soon as the mailman comes with a letter for me, instead of letting you sleep and then take a peek in my mailbox to see if anything new has come. Of course you're going to have your batteries drained, you'd be tired too if you never got any sleep
I think you are mixing BOSH (for XMPP) with IMAP IDLE.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
don't you need to keep your connection active when using push or IMAP IDLE? couldn't that prevent the cellular connection from using some battery saving states?
(I genuinly don't know)

The Following User Says Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 23 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ United States
I think my explanation is slightly unclear/being misinterpretted. In the analogy, you're not repeatedly checking, you're, for lack of a better way of putting it, keeping a hand in the mailbox waiting for a message to come. That hand requires a constant connection over gprs/wcdma/wlan to to maintain and so your phone is keeping a wireless connection open that it could otherwise close to save on battery.

I could possibly be mixing it up with Jabber protocols, it's been a while, in which case I apologize and look like an idiot.

IMAP IDLE requires a connection so your phone is connected - just like it is when it's waiting for a phone call - and awaiting an incoming message. Does it use more power to wait for data and voice? I doubt it since no data is being transmitted other than the 15 minute NOOP to prevent a timeout. Your phone already tells you signal strength and when it goes from 2G to 3G, etc. so it's already connected.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mize For This Useful Post:
I had an issue with gmail in particular causing very severe battery drain. It seemed to be polling continually unsuccessfully. I found that it was much better to use mfe with gmail, rather than the default gmail option.

Push mail works fine with a single MfE account at least, the server initiates some sort of sync every 30 minutes but for the rest of the time there's no packets going in or out and the 3G radio remains in power saving mode keeping the current consumption at about 6 mA (unless new mail arrives, of course). You can check these with tcpdump and Energy Profiler.

However, I can imagine that if you have several accounts on push and the different servers do some syncing at relatively long intervals but the syncs aren't aligned, there might end up being some activity quite frequently.

Last 2 comments: Thanks, I will give it a try.
It seems awkward that Meegoo would be able to deal with one Mfe in push, and not 2 or 3... Up to him to do the check, I believe there should not be tons of data to be exchanged. Not to mention that it could probably (guessing) be done in 2G...

Originally Posted by scoobertron View Post
I had an issue with gmail in particular causing very severe battery drain. It seemed to be polling continually unsuccessfully. I found that it was much better to use mfe with gmail, rather than the default gmail option.
You probably had an unsuccessful email (eg. an attachment which is too big to go through) and the server keeps trying to push the mail through. I'm using gmail on push and I certainly don't experience any severe battery drain.