Posts: 34 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Saint-Avertin / France
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum.

If you want to chat with your msn friends on Nokia N810, N800 and N770HE, you can do that with amsn right now and even with the webcam !

Original thread here : http://www.amsn-project.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3659

LoKiDoR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lokidor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 66 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Europe
Check here: http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/search.php

Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by badger View Post
Check here: http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/search.php
badger, I think you missed lokidor's point. This thread is more like a application's release.

Ok, the new point is that you can chat with the webcam with other people without asking them to install Gizmo which is actually the only way for video chatting.

It's a fact that a lot of people use the Microsoft Windows Live client, so I think it's pretty cool.

I tried Gizmo project it's fine but it's not open source.

I tried Google talk but only voice is working. Google talk add festoon plugin at the time but now it seems to be dead. I see some videos of video chatting on youtube with google talk, I assume it was with this plugin.

There is the project telepathy-butterfly. It does not have yet the webcam support, but work is being done on that.

For now, I think if you want to do video-chatting with your msn friends, amsn is the only mean.

Maybe I missed something but the search button does not help me in this way.

I saw the thread of the guy asking for the porting of amsn on N800 but like this point is also related to N810 I decided to create a new thread in the general section, but maybe it can be moved in the apps section.

Sorry for my english

LoKiDoR

I tried installing amsn, i am using os2008 n800...says incompatible......shouldnt it work?

Try to download all the packages and install them with the command line:
dpkg -i "xxx.deb" (be sure to be root with "sudo gainroot" before)
in this order : tcl, tk, tcltls, libsnack2, amsn
I got this problem and mention it to the developer on the amsn forum.
I think you do better to post directly on the amsn forum, the developer needs some feedbacks and for the moment I have not seen anybody else than me to posts comments.

Tried what you told me says i need to be a superuser , once i put in sudo gainroot, it said enable rd mode if you want to break you device, didnt enable rd mode was i suppose to that?

I posted my problem in amsn forum see what they got to say

Last edited by Gadget25; 2008-01-07 at 00:58.

Hi,
Gadget25, I answered you on the amsn forums.
Thanks lokidor for submitting this here and allowing more people to know about aMSN.
For others, aMSN is the only open source msn client that supports webcam and voiceclips, and it works pretty good on the maemo platform (although it's a bit slow...)
Voiceclips are not correctly working but it will get fixed... for now you can receive them without problems.

The Following User Says Thank You to kakaroto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
Can someone post screenshots of aMSN in use ?

Hi Kozzi,
I took the time to take a few screenshots for the pleasure of your eyes :
http://kakaroto.homelinux.net/~kakar...0/screenshots/
There are 22 images showing you many of the different features of aMSN and how they work on the n810 (webcam, tabbed chat, tray icon, offline messaging, file transfers, hide/show menus, event log, audio/vidoe assistant, drag/drop contacts, etc...).
If you feel I forgot something, tell me, I'll screenshot it

By the way, can anyone try the packages and tell me if it says incompatible .deb files or not ? and if it does, does anyone know how to fix it?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kakaroto For This Useful Post: