Active Topics

Notices

A repeated crash that I keep on getting more then twice a day

Heres a section of the log containing the crash:

Code:
socket read crashed, reason [Errno 9] Bad file descriptor
Socket closed, got 0 bytes
Socket closed, got 0 bytessocket read crashed, reason [Errno 9] Bad file descriptor socket read crashed, reason [Errno 9] Bad file descriptor

socket read crashed, reason [Errno 9] Bad file descriptor ONLINE

Segmentation fault

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

Last edited by godofwar424; 2012-06-11 at 11:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to godofwar424 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 239 | Thanked: 70 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by jpetrise View Post
@Faku1810
My point was what would be the purpose of having the app offline running in the background it would make no sense. You have taken it upon yourself to answer (out of context) a question which was only ment to make Snooky think.
i totaly get your point... but this was not what i wanted to say... of course it doesn't make sense to let it run offline in the background... i was just thinking if it is possible that if it's in the background the app itself is still online and is possible to get messages but other whatsapp user don't get the message that i'm online at the moment...

i like the fact that we can run it in the background... but i don't like that it looks like i have nothing else to do then beeing in wazapp :P

you understand may way of thinking?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snooky For This Useful Post:
@snooky, I get what you mean, in original whatsapp, you'd see "last time seen ..." if that user has the app running in background or offline, and "online" if it has the app open at the time.

However, wazapp stays online even if it's in background. If we take into account the fact that one is "offline" only after quitting the app, i can think of two options to explain this behaviour..

1) It's related to the ping the app sends every 3 minutes, making the server think the app itself is open all the time, supposing the ping stops when you're not connected to wifi/3g or have quitted the app.

2) Similar to #1, it could be something within the original whatsapp code that lets the server know if the app is open or in the background. Some kind of "signal" sent when you close the app, or the lack of said signal, that is, the signal is sent only while the app is open and it stops when it's closed, just like wazapp ping.

So, if tgalal or some other dev could try removing the ping, and check if this affects the online/offline display, i think it would be a good start.

However, since ping is required to keep the connection alive, i'm not sure if removing it would affect significantly the functionality of wazapp. Not to mention it is not that important at all whether you appear online or not, so it could be just a minor detail to look at.

@jpetrise, don't worry, it's alright

Last edited by faku1810; 2012-06-11 at 16:11.

The Following User Says Thank You to faku1810 For This Useful Post:
@faku1810

yeah u got exactly what i mean. i'm just no dev or something like this so i couldn't explain it like you
i just try to follow the wazapp developement because its interesting and i try to help...

maybe you or someone else who is able to explain it that way can post this issue on github?

Done, though i'm not quite sure if i made myself clear, check it here and see if there's something you might want to add.

https://github.com/tgalal/wazapp/issues/58

Need Image Receiving

Posts: 704 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Johannesburg - South Africa
CepiPerez has answered this nicely, this behavior seems pretty normal to me too, if the App is in the background or minimized, U still online, if U quit the app U now offline. Besides, battery life has always been poor prior Wazapp, we got used to it, and with Wazapp included, to me it's still takes the same time as before as I simply replaced Ebuddy XMS with it.

Originally Posted by faku1810 View Post
Done, though i'm not quite sure if i made myself clear, check it here and see if there's something you might want to add.

https://github.com/tgalal/wazapp/issues/58
it's fine... tgalal said it should already be like this... otherwise it's a bug

ok... are there any builds i can test? cant wait anymore, tingly feeling of new software is getting the best of me hehe

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to super-hero For This Useful Post:
Yes, if someone posts a small how to to get the latest from GIT on our phone, it would be really great. I always used to compile stuff from KDE SVN/GIT to get bugfixes etc, but I am a little noob here on how to get code on to the phone.

Tags
godoftool, harmattan, is-a-miracle, nokia n9, spacker_thread, tarekgalal, toddler_daycare, toolcoderus, wazapp, whatsapp