Notices

Closed Thread
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Don't import that contact, create it from scratch on the device.
Unfortunatelly is not practical for me, crashes seems to be extremely random, each time I look for a different approach I get a new crash. And very often, once a crash happened, I just have to start over again removing all the contacts, sometimes removing the last contact I added and produced the crash is does not fix the address book. So is really a huge problem.

For now I prefer to continue my life without whatsapp rather than loading all my address book manually

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin, Germany
Contacts are not "imported". Yappari requests the list of contacts that start with a + to Qt Mobility. Qt Mobility crashes.
But is this request of contacts necessary for Yappari to work, or is just so you can have the list of contacts to pick one to send a message to? What I mean is adding an option to start with an empty contact list in Yappari, not making this initial request for contacts, if that makes any sense (I don't know how whatsapp works).

I'm 100% sure if you delete all your IM accounts and contacts Yappari will always work.
Understood, but I like how well integrated conversations is and I'm not sure pidgin support skype anyway, which for me is more important than having whatsapp. I managed to live without whatsapp for now, and even when it would be extremely nice to have it, I don't want to completely change the way I use the phone for it, but I really appreciate your feedback and the detailed explanation of the alternative!

I do wonder how there is only about 10 people with this problem, nobody use the integrated conversations? That's odd...

Posts: 1,396 | Thanked: 2,796 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Caracas, Venezuela
I actually think the Conversations integration sucks and a lot. It's ok for Skype, but you can't receive files through MSN/GTalk/Yahoo/AIM. A lot of features are not supported that I use a lot so I decided not to use it.

I do use it for Skype though, but rarely.

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Hong Kong
Yappari is almost perfect now.

Just missing 2 things:
- Even there is no contact synchronization yet, most people still need a very simple function: automatically add local country code to the address book entries if it is not in international format
- Received "files" and "images" are an URL, how about just show the URL in the dialog before having any inline image viewer / etc? It should not be too difficult for the current code

If Yappari is open source, I think these will be added very quickly.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=85139

here is whatsapp smile for convarsation and im ... enjoy may be this smile pack also use ful for scropis me and my frinds maiking difrent difrent smile pack for n900

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by lazyfai View Post
Yappari is almost perfect now.

Just missing 2 things:
- Even there is no contact synchronization yet, most people still need a very simple function: automatically add local country code to the address book entries if it is not in international format

[...]
I would prefer if Yappari left the contacts as they are. It's not the responsibility of a third-party app to fix your broken contacts. If I ever catch Yappari or any other application "fixing" anything of my contacts I'll immediately purge it and be angry about it.

After all, your problem requires a one-off solution. Write a script for that!

If Yappari is open source, I think these will be added very quickly.
I seriously doubt that. Particularly at this stage of *early* development, the less people who play around with the code the less chances that one of them fvcks up.

Cheers.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 14 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Berlin, Germany
Contacts are not "imported". Yappari requests the list of contacts that start with a + to Qt Mobility. Qt Mobility crashes.

The *only* solution is to not use Qt Mobility, that is, using native libraries and querying contacts one by one (something that Qt Mobility is doing for me right now), and retrieving the avatar, the number, the name, etc.

The thing is not more than 10 people have this problem. I think it's because Conversations IM contacts, which I don't use at all (I use pidgin). That's what Qt Mobility doesn't understand and makes it crash (it's a theory but I'm like 80% sure).

Of course I won't ask you to stop using Conversations as an IM but only as an SMS GUI and use pidgin, because you have your reasons to use Conversations.

I'm 100% sure if you delete all your IM accounts and contacts Yappari will always work.
I'm using Conversations IM as well and have absolutely no problems with my phone book.
I'm storing for each contact a lot of info (mobile numbers, land line, adress, skype/ICQ/MSN/FB/ etc contact, etc...) and there are no conflicts with whatsapp.
That's why i'm very looking forward to the contacts sync (or at least some icon or the number next to each contact, so that i know whether i'm selecting the mobile or landline number). But please go through your ToDo list as you wish, i can wait.

Thanks again for this nice application!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DerCommander For This Useful Post:
Posts: 14 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
I would prefer if Yappari left the contacts as they are. It's not the responsibility of a third-party app to fix your broken contacts. If I ever catch Yappari or any other application "fixing" anything of my contacts I'll immediately purge it and be angry about it.

[...]
Absolutely agree.
Adding the country code should be the responsibility of the user. This is anyway mandatory if you leave the country, that's why i'm always storing new numbers with the country code.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DerCommander For This Useful Post:
Hi scorpius;
thanx for the great work...

suggestion
can you pls add an option to edit msg as to forward or copy and paste messages and send them back to our friends. thanx

The Following User Says Thank You to Benkot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Hong Kong
Totally missed my meaning, firstly whatsapp official client will assume the number is local if the number has no country code, secondly, whatsapp official client doesnt need to modify user's address book in order to do this, it probably do it in its own in-memory address book during runtime.
That's what I mean, not "Yappari modify my address book" but it should determine the number is in international format or not, if not, just prefix it by country code "when talking to server" (no need to store this number).
This is the behaviour of whatsapp official client that is user friendly to us.
Anyway, not all country people used to put country code in address book, like china and most asian countries.

Originally Posted by reinob View Post

After all, your problem requires a one-off solution. Write a script for that!

I seriously doubt that. Particularly at this stage of *early* development, the less people who play around with the code the less chances that one of them fvcks up.

Cheers.

Last edited by lazyfai; 2012-06-28 at 10:31.

Closed Thread

Tags
alpha, awesomeness, best_client, let_it_die, mumbai_dumbai, read_first_post, whatsapp