Active Topics

Didn't really see a good place to put this so I figured General is the best spot.
Anyway, I know this forum is primarily filled with Linux users (and which I prefer over Windows CMD anyway) but I'm looking for a way to automate some installations. A lot of times I have friends that need a computer either 1) reinstalled from scratch or 2) just need a list of common programs to do some stuff.
I have about 10 programs or more that I like to install for them (VLC, SumatraPDF, on and on) and would like a way to just install them easily with no real input from me.

Anyway, I looked up a few things and creating a batch file for Windows but I'm getting caught up on getting it to automate installations. I thought there was a way to do it without pointing it directly to an .ini file.
So for instance, this is a bit of the code I put into it:
Code:
ECHO OFF
ECHO This is designed to automatically install the most commonly used programs in a quick and efficient fashion.
CD C:\Installs
SumatraPDF-2.1.1 /s
ECHO Finished installing Sumatra PDF Version 2.1.1
vlc-2.0.0-win32 /s
ECHO Finished installing VLC 2.0.0
PAUSE
Now, when I go to run this Sumatra seemed to work fine and install with no problems (though it admittedly has a cake installer) but VLC pops up and won't automate. I guess what I'm looking for is a way to just push it through the defaults. I'm not sure what modifier (if that's what you call the /s and things like -i, -f, etc. in Linux) to add after it. I should note too that these are .exe files and I know I'll have to add the
Code:
msiexec filename.msi
for .msi files. Also, how exactly would running
Code:
START
in front of these affect the installation?

I know it's a lot of questions but I figured a lot of people on here would probably know all of this front and back.
Thanks in advance for any help.

*note- I know there are programs that can do this but I'm also looking to just get good at doing some batch files and then translating that into learning about shell scripts on Linux.

Originally Posted by cincibluer6 View Post
Didn't really see a good place to put this so I figured General is the best spot.
If you really must ask this sort of thing here (but why? surely there must be plenty of more relevant places where you would get better answers), off-topic would be the most appropriate forum.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany

I am tempted to suggest to install linux in those PCs.

Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post

I am tempted to suggest to install linux in those PCs.
Ha, I wish. I try to convince people to adopt Linux (especially on older PCs) but rarely will they do it. Heck, I even show them Zorin as it's nearly Win7 just with a Linux backside but I digress.
Also, if this needs to be moved, so be it. I just didn't want it getting lost in the ether of off-topic.

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@cincibluer6,

I think what @lma means is that you are infinitely more likely to receive a useful answer to your question if you ask somewhere else, meaning not in *.maemo.org, but something like a Windows forum or so.

Understood. I was just trying to get a quick answer on here but looks like it's not coming. I'm just not a member of any kind of Windows forum and really other than this, have no huge reason in being one.
Thanks though. Guess I'll give one of those a shot or just a programming forum in general.