Active Topics

after learning of the 800, i was excited; came here to learn how to get the most from it. instead i see so many probs, im totally intimidated. i dont need another hobby. i wanted a tool. the list of probs seems huge. the price is rite and features seem better than the 810. fixes and topics all seem so fragmented, patchy, and incomplete..linux on ipod is just a novel hobby; its player cant compare w/apple player, and the things it does is still really clunky..maybe not accurate comparison. delete this if you want..i might get it for the things advertised.. hate carryin laptop for simple surfing, etc..itouch or anymore apple is outta the question

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Follow the postings of the senior members and you'll get plenty of usage from an N800.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by amkaos View Post
after learning of the 800, i was excited; came here to learn how to get the most from it. instead i see so many probs, im totally intimidated. i dont need another hobby. i wanted a tool. the list of probs seems huge. the price is rite and features seem better than the 810. fixes and topics all seem so fragmented, patchy, and incomplete..linux on ipod is just a novel hobby; its player cant compare w/apple player, and the things it does is still really clunky..maybe not accurate comparison. delete this if you want..i might get it for the things advertised.. hate carryin laptop for simple surfing, etc..itouch or anymore apple is outta the question
You are going to find that no matter what it is, there will be some kind of problems associated with it. For me, the N800 has been great and done everything it is supposed to have done. I was just overseas for a week and instead of carting around my laptop I had it and it worked beautifully.

Originally Posted by amkaos View Post
amkaos.. sorry, but imho, your post is unclear. at the end, you seemed to say you're gonna get one of the Nokia tablets anyways.. and that apple stuff is out of the question..

Its a very very simple thing.. the Nokia Tablets are a much more open platform, as such there's development efforts on it from a variety of individuals and organizations.. as with any development effort there's gonna be some quirks..

However, with the base software, you get what is advertised, a top notch portable internet surfing tool.. and very capable media player. The fact that the tablets are an open platform means there's a chance for it to improve and be more intuitive as a personal / local media player.. however, they're hands down the most flexible hardware / tool for the price point..

The Following User Says Thank You to futures For This Useful Post:
Okay, obviously some of the junior member posts can't hurt.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by futures View Post
amkaos.. sorry, but imho, your post is unclear. at the end, you seemed to say you're gonna get one of the Nokia tablets anyways.. and that apple stuff is out of the question..

Its a very very simple thing.. the Nokia Tablets are a much more open platform, as such there's development efforts on it from a variety of individuals and organizations.. as with any development effort there's gonna be some quirks..

However, with the base software, you get what is advertised, a top notch portable internet surfing tool.. and very capable media player. The fact that the tablets are an open platform means there's a chance for it to improve and be more intuitive as a personal / local media player.. however, they're hands down the most flexible hardware / tool for the price point..
i said i might get it.. and apple HW is outta the question..i might just wait. i would be disappointed if app developement trails off w/more incompletes than finished--big concern..i am exactly unclear .. if there was one place i could find a list of apps that are finished (or at least that everyone is satisfied with), that would make decisions waaay easier.. im sure such a list is not available.

Although I don't like class distinctions, I will post as a junior member.

The whole problem with the wait and see what happens mentality is, anything that is powered by a microprocessor is running some kind of operating system plus software to accomplish it's task. That means that problems or improvements will take place at sometime or another and probably break something else, which will get fixed sooner or later, so if your going to wait for perfection you will never buy anything because it is always in a constant state of improvement. This applies to the iTouch and everything else out there, so you might as well jump in with both feet and enjoy the things that work very well on the N800. Another thing is, that I would rather own a device that has an open source OS than something closed like the Touch that you have ask god, (Steve Jobs) whether you can install something on it.

Originally Posted by caulktel View Post

The whole problem with the wait and see what happens mentality is, anything that is powered by a microprocessor is running some kind of operating system plus software to accomplish it's task. That means that problems or improvements will take place at sometime or another and probably break something else, which will get fixed sooner or later, so if your going to wait for perfection you will never buy anything because it is always in a constant state of improvement. This applies to the iTouch and everything else out there, so you might as well jump in with both feet and enjoy the things that work very well on the N800. Another thing is, that I would rather own a device that has an open source OS than something closed like the Touch that you have ask god, (Steve Jobs) whether you can install something on it.
i aint sure why you brought up the word perfect.. wait and see is valid since i dont expect perfect. since "jailbreak" itouch is better, the nexgen touch might put me there..but again, i dont know when or what it will look like.. one major thing i keep going back to :: 800 HW features and current pricepoint.
athxn for the replies

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Follow the postings of the senior members and you'll get plenty of usage from an N800.
My friend Texrat: Don't forget you can become a senior member just for the number of posts...like my personal case

Originally Posted by caulktel View Post
There was no offense meant. It's just that we had another big wave of new members join recently and I can see why the OP would be scared off by the resulting "noise". Posts by seniors such as Milhouse, fanoush, GeneralAntilles, zerojay, penguinbait and others can lead newcomers or potential buyers directly to useful info.

In fact, maybe the admin should add a sticky post listing the experts, for search purposes...

Originally Posted by akd View Post
My friend Texrat: Don't forget you can become a senior member just for the number of posts...like my personal case
Yeah, just ignore that guy.