Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
#jollaspec:

Wouldn't it be nice if my device's security system protected me?
The settings panel would allow me to turn on notifications for all sorts of things, most importantly, when apps try to send information (other than authentication) from the device. I'd especially want to know if an app is sending location information, so if an app accesses the GPS and then tries to send data, my device will block it and ask me if I will allow it. And there's always a "more information" button to show me the host it is sending the data to, etc.

I also think a good watchdog will protect the user from all sorts of attacks, and a notification to the user, "such-and-such app is attempting to delete files from the Documents folder. Do you wish to allow this?"

I don't want the app maker to decide what privileges the app gets, nor do I want the device manufacturer to decide that. I own the device, let me decide.

If you must bow to the wishes of the carriers who are paying you hundreds of dollars per phone, then fine, have a "locked" mode where the carrier makes many of the decisions. I don't see anything wrong with that, because if you sign a contract and get your phone from a carrier for a fraction of its true cost, then it really is the carrier's device, not yours.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
From Mer Community OBS meeting today:

I'd like to inform that during this next week, there will be donation coming from Jolla (as you may have seen as Mer users) for the equivalent of 2 EX-4S'es over 6 months for the purpose of Mer community OBS. EX-4S'es being http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/pro...ootserver/ex4s
These 32gb RAM babies can run build jobs fast (in tmpfs), so it scales to a lot of small packages being built in a short times.

Jolla isn't Nokia Plan B - that's just plain rubbish.

On the other hand I think Jolla people have strong unofficial backing inside of Nokia by 'old guard' and probably some retired ones.

1. Bridge program practically covered expenses of company for half of a year. Choosing people, giving them hints where to direct their next steps.

2. Swift move of Qt into Open Governance - despite of slow backing off from Open Source by Elop's Nokia.

3. Money, money, money - 10 million euros - hobby? For me definitely not. For group of highly paid execs watching how some Canadian is destroying their life's work? Peanuts.

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Yup and now its on Engadget.
In other words its now the Truth.
Sigh.........

Why the hell has this thread been moved to "competitors"??

Money, money, money - 10 million euros - hobby? For me definitely not.
Anybody knows who's investing? It seems jolla aims for more than just a niche market, but without the support of big hardware makers and their patent portfolios thats gonna be difficult.

The second model he described sounds like the one for me. Huzzahs if this works out.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Two phones next year and talk:
As Hurmola says: “We are will be making smartphones and in order to do this we’ll need an ecosystem and a platform around us. We are going for a pretty big strategy. This is our mission.”

This can be true :O its is to insane!

Hell they seems to have decided to really fighting here

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2012-07-10 at 19:08.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
It all sounds too good to be true, I really hope they're not getting ahead of themselves.

Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
Why the hell has this thread been moved to "competitors"??
Yeah I thought that was quite odd, but I guess as Nokia's still basically paying our bills it's not that unreasonable.

Anybody knows who's investing? It seems jolla aims for more than just a niche market, but without the support of big hardware makers and their patent portfolios thats gonna be difficult.
So far they refuse to say, they only say they DO have some big (private) investors & hw_partners/ODM's, & more will be revealed later (prolly near the EoTY).
Christ this thread's been on fire, see you all in another week, I'll have the popcorn ready

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-07-10 at 19:09.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by vvaz View Post
Jolla isn't Nokia Plan B - that's just plain rubbish.
Just furthering a rubbish idea...

What if these people who have split from Nokia since those departments were no longer able to be employed full-time by Nokia since those are not avenues within the company. They spin off those folks, do not fight their hiring(s) with new startups and then pledge a bit of support and a gentleman's agreement not to sue them, but to offer up their patent portfolio that might not be used as a way to earn extra money via licensing.

And this might be an external way to secure a possible disruptive mobile technology direction and if it gains support, it's not like Nokia couldn't bring them back in as a fully separate, but fully supported arm of Nokia using technology they once supported fully.

Damn I should write fiction...

Yeah. It's rubbish, but let's put it this way. I wish Jolla luck. I hope that Nokia doesn't sue them to oblivion nor hold out their patents that might not get used otherwise in this clearly all-Microsoft push.

And ultimately, I wish that we still have a place to call "our community" and we get to deal with a company that embraces that community mindset and will listen to the core community and still make decisions we can stand behind even if that community doesn't support each and every bullet point.

I like the fact that it's looking like we might have choices. Firefox OS, Jolla, et al. Now it all just has to happen.

And I'm willing to help even in my very minor ways if need be...

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla