Active Topics

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Cambridge/London
I want to add 4 'keyboard' buttons to the back of my n900 to play with chording.

These will need to support 4 touch/press instances.

How could they be wired into the device?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I was wishing the GKOS keyboard could be used on the N900. It has some documentation on using hardware keyboards that might or might not be useful. Its info pages are easy to find.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Thanks. That's interesting. How quickly does someone learn to type with that and what is the average words per minute?

I'm actually tempted to just wire the 4 keys from the keyboard contacts with some ribbon, as I found the schematic for a simple conductive pcb button set up, that I think I can adjust and then hack/cast a new keyboard in silicone....as I only need 6 or 7 working keys.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by tonypercy View Post
Thanks. That's interesting. How quickly does someone learn to type with that and what is the average words per minute?

I'm actually tempted to just wire the 4 keys from the keyboard contacts with some ribbon, as I found the schematic for a simple conductive pcb button set up, that I think I can adjust and then hack/cast a new keyboard in silicone....as I only need 6 or 7 working keys.
Could you build a GKOS bluetooth keyboard into a modded back cover, thus preserving the precious qwerty keyboard?

Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
Could you build a GKOS bluetooth keyboard into a modded back cover, thus preserving the precious qwerty keyboard?
I actually want to mod the keyboard though. Else I would have to use the screen. Of course I could just use the screen. Though it goes against my nature to make life easy for myself. Anyhoo bluetooth is a battery drain.

Polling a microSD NFC card might be an answer...though that looks like more work than it's worth....

I do wonder if wiring the buttons through the microSD card on a modded back cover would be the answer....seeing the MMC controller pins are convertable to GPIO pins. Meaning there are 6 available easily contactable GPIO pins, static protected and a 3.3V power supply -- so says the wiki.

http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_Hardware_Hacking#MMC_card

So that would work for GKOS too. If I read that right.

(In other random Google search related news -- Crownhill Associates down the road from me seem to do some interesting stuff...http://www.crownhill.co.uk/)

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by tonypercy View Post
Good question. I have a feeling the speed is pathetic compared to what someone could do with a real keyboard. I have put some effort into learning the system for perhaps a month and I doubt I can do over 10 wpm yet, whereas I was touch typing about 40 wpm after a weekend of diligent practice.
Astute practitioners can type relatively quickly with one hand, which is something I bet not many touch typists can do well.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Good question. I have a feeling the speed is pathetic compared to what someone could do with a real keyboard. I have put some effort into learning the system for perhaps a month and I doubt I can do over 10 wpm yet, whereas I was touch typing about 40 wpm after a weekend of diligent practice.
Astute practitioners can type relatively quickly with one hand, which is something I bet not many touch typists can do well.
That's why I'm a fan of mnemonic systems like Cykey, 20 to 30 minutes to learn, 40wpm in a week one handed. (I'm guessing you already had used a qwerty keyboard for some time before the weekend of getting up to 40wpm?)

I have considered so many possible input methods you'd laugh. And if you'll indulge the mixed metaphor -- thinking that is not only out of the box, but that it voids the warranty. I should write my notes up and publish I guess, might be of interest to some random person.

Anyhoo -- I am kicking myself that I didn't notice the MMC Card before...considering I've stared at it so many times.

So the next question to answer...has anyone modded the MMC to act as GPIO pins?

Last edited by tonypercy; 2012-07-11 at 12:27. Reason: cleaning up double post

The Following User Says Thank You to tonypercy For This Useful Post: