Active Topics

Notices

So I just got word that I need to leave for a business trip in a couple of hours, and I'm trying to make sure that I can use my N900 for directions when I'm out and about. I've entered the 1st destination and it shows me a route on the map, but I'm not able to figure out how to get text directions, is this possible? Can I enter in all of my destinations and save the route in advance?

I've searched a bit, but haven't found anything useful, and unfortunately don't have time to do a real extensive search. Just need to know if this can work easily, or if I need to take my wife's Android phone for mapping.

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,134 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
On N900 Ovi Maps requires data connection to work smoothly.

Also voice guidance and turn by turn are not available.

It will show a map of the route only.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
You may have alook here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=66985
full voice navigation with offline Nokia maps (but not very comfortable)

Or use modrana, mappero (online).

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at the other apps later, but for now I found GeePS which seems to give me the text directions I was looking for. This will be my first time traveling since I got my N900, so I'm hoping the mobile data actually works OK. Guess I'll find out once I arrive.

You can actually download the maps using Nokia Suite (latest one) and then navigate with just the GPS. It will take a bit longer to lock but it will lock. Ofcourse to search for a route or to update route you do need data.