Originally Posted by flopjoke View Post
OK, we need to stop lying to ourselves already. Email app is out of sync, multi-tasking is lagging as hell, browser became even slower and lags a lot, that smooth transition we loved when they introduced N9 last year when we swipe a playing video into background is totally gone.. Now it has delays, GPS lock isn't faster, it's same/slower, there is a lag/delay every 15 seconds or so while streaming songs through Bluetooth over a car's stereo, without FasterN9 everything is way too slow, text selection is horrible and it got worse within the browser.. and "Application not responding" messages way too often than before.. Even for gallery or camera app sometimes.

I saw some of these comments and more on a clean format and install as well. Seriously speaking, my N9 was near perfect with PR1.2. This new "bug fixes update" seems to have messed a lot of things up. I updated to PR1.2 via OTA back then and you could FEEL the significant improvement in everything. Now, I can feel everything downgraded. Seriously .. I'm getting slightly frustrated now. I'm gonna format.. Wipe it all clean and try again. I loved this phone how it was before. I do not like this delusional update we received probably just to keep us happy or something..

I had the same experience as you, but going from PR1.1 -> 1.2. Because the phone never retained factory config for very long, I always assumed that it was probably something I'd done that made it so much slower -- until I finally wanted to know for sure, by resetting it completely (firmware + mmc) and leaving it stock for a while.

I didn't go so far as to quantify system performance by running detailed analyses, but the UI simply felt laggy and appeared to be constantly running just beyond the point of maximum resource consumption where previously it felt smooth and performed without any notable slow-downs. In fact, I had used the email client and web feeds with PR1.1 but stopped using both completely (due to probably poorly implemented SQLite frequently corrupting the DB file it writes to, often ending up with many old entries that should have been deleted and a DB file that was nearing 100MB in size). In spite of this, the lag continued. And call me crazy, but I even think the reception has somehow diminished. Where previously I remember downloading an 80 MB media file at an average of 500 KB/sec via the mobile connection (5 Mbit/sec), now I'm lucky to see 200 KB/sec using my Wifi at home -- which itself has also degraded, to the point where the phone now frequently only sees 1-2 bars (previously: 4-5) of signal strength. Needless to say, I have kept the phone in pristine condition and actually managed to never drop it.

PR1.3 improved over 1.2 -- but only slightly. At this point I just wish I could go back to PR1.1; even if it meant having to forego whatever has been added in the interim. Because in the end, none of the presumed fixes and additions mean a thing when the trade-off is going from a functionally swift resource to a sluggish impediment.

The Following User Says Thank You to zszabo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 426 | Thanked: 374 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Middle East
exactly. If it wasn't for FasterN9, I would have given up on Nokia after PR 1.1. Bless that dude who made the mod.

The Following User Says Thank You to flopjoke For This Useful Post:
And I hate the fact that even the smallest thing such as the cool video swipe transition is now totally gone. Wanted to show off last night and everything was slow and laggy.. It sucked.. Ended up receiving the comment "ah.. Nokias.. They're always like that".

And I hate the fact that even the smallest thing such as the cool video swipe transition is now totally gone. Wanted to show off last night and everything was slow and laggy.. It sucked.. Ended up receiving the comment "ah.. Nokias.. They're always like that".
Works fine on my 64GB.
As for the rest, it's true, I'm using Fastern9, but I have a great user experience all in all.
The text selection it's not the best implementation I've seen, but it works.
The battery life is impressive: about 2 hours of browsing, Skype on, BT on and still had 45% eleven hours later. 2G on.

Typing from n9 using swipe

Last edited by taviman; 2012-07-16 at 05:05.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taviman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
@flopjoke
It is never good to generalise based on YOUR OWN experience in such a way as you do. Look around - most people are experiencing a smoother operation after PR1.3. So you are minority in your experience, but you do insist that the majority are just delusional or simply lying.
Yes - there are regressions in PR1.3. But to be able to state it is general issue/regression you have to get some statistic and confirmation from other users, after that you have to make sure the issue/regression is not caused by some other factor.
Speaking of MY OWN experience with PR1.3 - general feel is smoother and battery life is better. Even if smoothness is a matter of perception and can not be (easily)measured, battery life is something you CAN measure. But I have to admit it can be caused by some other factor, not directly related to PR1.3.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zlatko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 270 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
OK, we need to stop lying to ourselves already. Email app is out of sync, multi-tasking is lagging as hell, browser became even slower and lags a lot, that smooth transition we loved when they introduced N9 last year when we swipe a playing video into background is totally gone.. Now it has delays, GPS lock isn't faster, it's same/slower, there is a lag/delay every 15 seconds or so while streaming songs through Bluetooth over a car's stereo, without FasterN9 everything is way too slow, text selection is horrible and it got worse within the browser.. and "Application not responding" messages way too often than before.. Even for gallery or camera app sometimes.

I saw some of these comments and more on a clean format and install as well. Seriously speaking, my N9 was near perfect with PR1.2. This new "bug fixes update" seems to have messed a lot of things up. I updated to PR1.2 via OTA back then and you could FEEL the significant improvement in everything. Now, I can feel everything downgraded. Seriously .. I'm getting slightly frustrated now. I'm gonna format.. Wipe it all clean and try again. I loved this phone how it was before. I do not like this delusional update we received probably just to keep us happy or something..
All I can say that I'm not seeing anything of the issues you're having. The updates have improved the device steadily, and the 1.3 is the best as of yet.

And the same goes for all the N9's I have on my colleagues/friends.

So, if you're trying to accuse the happy users of being delusional, please try to remember, that most of the people here and on other forums are the ones with issues in the first place. Your view on the average state of the N9 issues might be a bit skewed.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mandibela For This Useful Post:
Yeah, it is my experience, but I've noticed many people in other places with at least one problem in common. I'm unfortunate to have all of them in one device. Maybe I had some bad installation before or maybe something else happened, but I'm not saying others are wrong.. I'm just saying that a number of people do have issues with PR 1.3 but their phones were perfect before. I still don't know what bug fixes were done, but I do like MeeGo and N9. And yes, battery life has definitely improved. I'll go and hard reset the device.. Start fresh, and hopefully these problems should go away.

on a side note: drive app didn't work at all today. Was stuck at loading. And the google video isn't working even after I reinstalled from the store. I can receive calls, but not make them. Keeps getting dc. Weird. I'm thinking more and more that some order of installations and tweaks messed it up.

but yeah, maybe I am the minority.. And I do not like that

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
I installed Gtalk for the first time ever, and i think it's not working. can anyone confirm if it supports P.R. 1.3?

Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
I installed Gtalk for the first time ever, and i think it's not working. can anyone confirm if it supports P.R. 1.3?
It works perfectly. It had a bug in PR1.2 but it was fixed in PR1.3. At least in my case.

The Following User Says Thank You to alephito For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by alephito View Post
It works perfectly. It had a bug in PR1.2 but it was fixed in PR1.3. At least in my case.
oh so it seems you need to have a google account and have Gtalk enabled in accounts, how do you add friends to google talk?

Tags
bugfix-focused, dashed hopes, nokia fanbois, popcorn, pr1.3, pr1.3 party, troll alert