Closed Thread
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by specc View Post
This is very good results. Apple didn't reach 4M per Q before Q1 2009, 1 1/2 year after the launch of the iPhone. Nokia has done it in less than a year with Lumia. In reality only a 3-4 months, some longer some less. The SGS2 has never reached this number in 1 quarter. The SGS3 certainly has though and way beyond.

It could have been better if you only look at the numbers, but realistically could it really? It takes some time to gain traction.

Stock:
Up 7% in NY
Up 12 % in Helsinki
They shipped 4 million. Doesn't say sales. And Nokia has had better sales than the original iPhone on more limited phones in the past. Those are now dead in the water.

I'm holding out for the sales reports. WP7 isn't turning them around, it's digging them a deeper hole. Thus the losses they still recorded.

One doesn't help the other. WP7 isn't helping Nokia. Elop isn't helping Nokia. Nokia needs to plot a new path. Right now.

Originally Posted by specc View Post
This is very good results. Apple didn't reach 4M per Q before Q1 2009, 1 1/2 year after the launch of the iPhone. Nokia has done it in less than a year with Lumia. In reality only a 3-4 months, some longer some less. The SGS2 has never reached this number in 1 quarter. The SGS3 certainly has though and way beyond.

It could have been better if you only look at the numbers, but realistically could it really? It takes some time to gain traction.

Stock:
Up 7% in NY
Up 12 % in Helsinki
IMHO, it is traction to death.

Correctly me if I am wrong, Apple was selling their iStuff at $200+/each during their 1Q of introducing the iStuff. Nokia is selling at a lost(by all account) per unit almost right at introduction. Both iStuff and the now WPx may be considered as the 'new' un-proven device at their respective time. How long can Nokia keep on selling these 'popular' WPx phone?

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Good news for nokia. The stock is on the move since the Q was not as bad as expected YEAH!

Oh yes. On the move. $1.85. It has the highest stock price now, since...

MONDAY 1:26 PM.

Two days worth of lowest stock price since two decades ago, all fixed, now it's up to what was a catastrophically low stock price three days ago. That's some Nokia saving stock move rite durr. YEAH!

http://www.financialexpress.com/news...g-loss/976683/

overall, the sick patient is turning around. The fever is high, but so is the hope. I am buying more

Oh, you accidentally switched accounts.

why are you so negative? Is this how your whole life is?

Originally Posted by cheve View Post
IMHO, it is traction to death.

Correctly me if I am wrong, Apple was selling their iStuff at $200+/each during their 1Q of introducing the iStuff. Nokia is selling at a lost(by all account) per unit almost right at introduction. Both iStuff and the now WPx may be considered as the 'new' un-proven device at their respective time. How long can Nokia keep on selling these 'popular' WPx phone?
We all now Nokia is losing money, that's in the numbers that came today. Let's take one thing at a time.

They sold maybe 3-4k Lumias in the US at no profit, but they sold 3.5M Lumias at profit elsewhere, Europe in particular. IMO they could have cut prices also in Europe, just to get more Lumias out, but they didn't. The reason must be that they have not set up to produce more because they are setting up production for WP8 as well. 6M lumias in the first 6 months of 2012 is a good number, but I'm sure they would like a much better initial response than they got.

Besides you cannot compare US contract prices with off contract prices elsewhere (or on contract prices elsewhere for that matter). In Europe it is normal to pay only a token Euro for a phone on contract, but then you have to pay each month and are locked to the operator. If you pay off contract, you pay the full price of the phone, but are free to use whatever operator you chose. The total sum will be roughly the same, but often the operators push certain phones with heavy cuts, free months of use etc. Whatever, it is the total cost you have to look at, not the contract price.

Right now it looks like the existing Lumia range will be phased out (from the initial markets at least) when WP8 devices are coming. At least the 710, 800 and 900. The 610 will probably go on for a long time (my guess).

Another thing. The numbers today show that Nokia will have 2-3 B Euro at year end. This means they can continue for much longer than the doomsday prophecies here have predicted. With further cuts, this can be extended much more. All in all, the finances seems OK. No bankruptcy anytime soon. There is no sign of Plan B, so Nokia smartphones lives and dies according to how well WP8 will do. The numbers also shows that Nokia still is the largest handset manufacturer in the world. The main point is whatever happens (to existing Lumia sales) from now and until WP8 devices are available really makes no vital difference, not from this day. The ecosystem is up and running, the distribution channels are up and running. More sales will boost the ecosystem of course and more sales is always better, but from Nokias point of view, more sales are not needed to stay alive until WP8 devices comes.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
They shipped 4 million. Doesn't say sales. And Nokia has had better sales than the original iPhone on more limited phones in the past. Those are now dead in the water.

I'm holding out for the sales reports. WP7 isn't turning them around, it's digging them a deeper hole. Thus the losses they still recorded.

One doesn't help the other. WP7 isn't helping Nokia. Elop isn't helping Nokia. Nokia needs to plot a new path. Right now.
You have to look at the bigger picture. Nokia is doing OK actually (relatively speaking). Lumias are gaining traction as well. Elop has turned the ship, that is what we are witnessing. Nokia is not out of the muddy waters just yet, by no means, but they are on the right course for the first time in years.

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Really? I call b.s.

Originally Posted by olighak View Post
Really? I call b.s.
Why? because Elop = Eflop and MS = M$ ?

Closed Thread

Tags
goodbye nokia, investing, last quotes, lumiatard, samsung, specc=ericsson, stock, the elop flop, the flop elop, tizen