Active Topics

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Seattle, WA
After upgrading to OS 2008 and installing a bunch of apps, I'm finding that I don't like the layout of the Applications menu:

* Just like in the "Reduce menu size?" thread, I want to shrink the text and icon size or otherwise make things work better for a stylus-based user.

* I want to add/rename top-level items, such as to have a Games entry separate from Extras.

* I want to reorganize what is under which heading. I accepted the default on some items, but now I want to promoted to the top group or simply in another area.

Are there easy ways to do this stuff?

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
To answer your 2nd and 3rd question:

Go to Settings -> Control Panel -> Panels

Tap on 'Organise'

From there you can create new top-level categories (I created a new Multimedia folder) and even arrange folder/app sequence using drag-and-drop.

Posts: 47 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Herndon, VA, USA
The Panels customizing app is nice, but I really miss the ability to add a new category on the fly when installing applications. I remember many people thought we were stuck with the default structure because of that.

I too long for the ability to change the default icon/font size, being stylus oriented myself.

Posts: 239 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Massachusetts
I'd like to be able to reload the top level Contacts menu.
I'm never going to ue any of Nokia's Contact, email or chat apps.

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Seattle, WA
Many thanks, that's the bulk of what I wanted. Now if I can reduce the font size...

Posts: 142 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ London
N810

I've found that the drag and drop moving of app shortcuts between sections on the menu is a very hit and miss affair. The drag and drop sometime drops first time - sometimes takes a dozen tries.
I've rebooted and calibrated the screen but it makes no difference.

i had problems with moving apps as well.

the key to success for me is to place app (release stylus) on text-label of destination folder, not only in destination folder, even if it is highlighted.

Posts: 239 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Massachusetts
It seems to help if you wait a bit before releasing, as well.