Notices

Posts: 143 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Houston
Hi,

recently, Modest (on N900) has stopped sending/receiving when connected to a specific wifi network. Everything else works fine on this network: web, skype, etc.. It works fine in any other network, including over GPRS. It is driving me crazy.
Does anyone has any idea/ suggestions? I've tried rebooting, quiting mail and restarting. all that... It just happens with this one network (which happens to be my home network)
Thanks for any help.

tiago

PS: it occurs to me that I installed power kernel recently. Could this have anything to do with it?

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Germany
Hi, did you check if the problem occurs on other devices (laptop) as well? Some networks block certain ports, often at least those for sending mail (port 25/587). Skype is quite good in tunneling through firewalls, so it may not be affected by this. Web port is usually open.

The Following User Says Thank You to Oblomow For This Useful Post:
thanks for the suggestion but that doesn't seem to be the problem: my email client on my laptop can connect just fine...
It's really puzzling...

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Germany
Does it use the same port/protocol settings as modest?

yes. IMAP over SSL, using the same ports.
maybe I should try installing claws and see if this still happens with it.

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Two things that may help further diagnose your problem.

Try temporarily putting your N900's IP in a DMZ on you home network, this will rule out firewall/port issues with the router on your internal IP.

Try switching off power saving on your AP in the N900's settings.
Settings > Internet Connections > Connections > (Your AP's Name) > Edit > Advanced > Other > Power Saving

With my router I get trouble with SSH and e-mails if the power saving is on max. This also only happens on my home network.

It may not work but it should rule out the router as the issue.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
thanks a lot for your suggestions. the power saving trick didn't work but putting my phone on the DMZ did. I guess it must really be a problem with the router. The firewall must be blocking something... The problem is that I don't have a lot of control over it (it's a WebCube, if you know what that is).

thnaks again for all the help.