Active Topics

hii,
i know we can do video calls through gtalk, or may be in future through skype,
but we need to do 3g video calls when the other user dont have gtalk video calling support, like nokia e7 or nokia n95.

at that time we should do 3g video call.

in addition here in India we have free 3G video calls provided by BSNL.

Posted request here, but no update till now

http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=6268

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
well 3G video calls are not going to come to the n9...don't expect it...

it was for symbian but no other platform by Nokia does support/will support it...

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Pakistan
It is for sure that 3G video calls and Video call over Skype will never come from Nokia. I really want to ask why the hell they given the front cam when they are not going to give 3G video call option. It is not a thing to be done by 3rd parties like they used to say about Skype. This should be done by Nokia.
But I believe this community have great people they can do it. But surely they need to be motivated. What I know little about Linux I know this nothing is impossible.
I really request all the Soooper people there to plzz do something for this. We are here to support you in all the ways.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ch.Saqib For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Ch.Saqib View Post
It is for sure that 3G video calls and Video call over Skype will never come from Nokia. I really want to ask why the hell they given the front cam when they are not going to give 3G video call option. It is not a thing to be done by 3rd parties like they used to say about Skype. This should be done by Nokia.
But I believe this community have great people they can do it. But surely they need to be motivated. What I know little about Linux I know this nothing is impossible.
I really request all the Soooper people there to plzz do something for this. We are here to support you in all the ways.
Im pretty sure 3G Video Call is just as proprietary and closed source as Skype is, so only Nokia would be able to implement this unfortunately

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

The Following User Says Thank You to godofwar424 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by godofwar424 View Post
Im pretty sure 3G Video Call is just as proprietary and closed source as Skype is, so only Nokia would be able to implement this unfortunately
Yup it is indeed proprietary...After all the patents related to this was IIRC the main reason why early Android phones didn't ship with 3G Video Call capability...Even now its not implemented in Vanilla Google builds but by OEMs who have the required patents like Samsung...

So that's why I said earlier its a fat hope for it to come to the n9...

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-08-03 at 20:13. Reason: sentence structure

I dont know much about proprietary things. But Nokia should be killed for making many users fool by putting front facing camera. It was better if they have not given it. At least just one complain No front camera. Now having front camera but useless.
What about MMS? We were not able to send and receive MMS on N900. But I saw a few days ago an app which was capable of doing this

MMS works perfectly fine on the n9...in fact its similar to belle's implementation...you just write it as a text...if u attach anything etc. it auto-converts to MMS...

Front camera usage apps are on the Store so at this point to complain about it is frivolous...

Posts: 704 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Johannesburg - South Africa
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
well 3G video calls are not going to come to the n9...don't expect it...

it was for symbian but no other platform by Nokia does support/will support it...
Don't Lumia Phones support 3G Video Calling?

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
MMS works perfectly fine on the n9...in fact its similar to belle's implementation...you just write it as a text...if u attach anything etc. it auto-converts to MMS...

Front camera usage apps are on the Store so at this point to complain about it is frivolous...
I was talking about MMS on N900 not N9. N900 was not supporting MMS. Community developed an app for that. What about patent thing for that as compare to 3G video calling patent on N9.
To be very frank all those apps are useless. Is there anyone who is actually using those apps? Front camera means video call support. If not then there is no need to put a front camera in the device.