Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 98 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
If modRana won't find the file, it will generate a new one, which might (temporarily ?) fix the issue.
(sidenote) I donīt have the same issue. But happened to notice that with every boot ModRana starts the same map layer and language etc. (whether or not I had changed them during last run).
So I looked for options.bin as well, but it wasnīt there to be found. I had [Show hidden files] on btw.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7thd For This Useful Post:
sent in a PM

The Following User Says Thank You to shady For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Thats a good point and I really do want to integrate HDOP in the rerouting-check calculation. But as there might be another causes for false-alerts, namely routes that were mapped with a slight offset or routes that were mapped correctly, but then reduced in point count to reduce storage space (eq. you might get a straight line for a slightly curved route in the routing result), I would still like to let the user to set the rerouting distance to some arbitrary number manually, to get rid of excessive reroutes in some cases.

IMHO, just using a HDOP multiple won't work - if you have a very good HDOP (say <1 m), the real route differing just 3 meters from the computed one would trigger rerouting. A very bad HDOP (>100m) would result in a 300+ m corridor.

Possible algorithms that take HDOP into account:

Algorithm nr. 1

Algorithm nr. 2
Algorithm nr. 3:
Algorithm nr. 4:
  • check if HDOP < (1/3)*rerouting_threshold (in meters)
  • if its larger, them rerouting threshold = 3*HDOP
I think there's no real solution for the case that the route is offset or the route has been compressed by reducing the point count. Those problems may lead to unneeded reroutings however the threshold is set. The only solution is to not let the threshold get too small, no matter how it's defined.

I like your algorithm 4. You set a floor below which the threshold cannot fall, and have no discontinuity at the point where you start using HDOP information. If the HDOP is a one standard deviation radius, then 3 standard deviations is a good threshold.

It's nice that you're adding more parameters for us to tweak. One little advantage our poor orphaned OS has is that at this point it is likely that nearly all N900 owners are geeks. Somebody writing an Android app can't assume his users like to fiddle with the app's parameters, but we can.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Is it possible to store downloaded tiles somewhere else then in .maps folder? (i do not want them to be shared with mappero)

The Following User Says Thank You to sup For This Useful Post:
MartinK, were you able to find anything out using the file i sent?

The Following User Says Thank You to shady For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by sup View Post
Is it possible to store downloaded tiles somewhere else then in .maps folder? (i do not want them to be shared with mappero)
I believe you can change where the maps are stored in the settings area. The default is the shared location for several apps (mappero and others). Why would you not want to share tiles across mapping programs?

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
I believe you can change where the maps are stored in the settings area. The default is the shared location for several apps (mappero and others). Why would you not want to share tiles across mapping programs?
Because of this. And since I opted for sqlite, it does not share maps anyway.

Well, I did not find it in the settings. Just option to use sqlite or not. Am I being blind? If so, could you be more specific where in the settings it is hidden.

The Following User Says Thank You to sup For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
Storage location for the map tiles is defined in an editable configuration file.

I can't remember the name of the file or its location, but it's mentioned somewhere in this thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rotoflex For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rotoflex View Post
Storage location for the map tiles is defined in an editable configuration file.

I can't remember the name of the file or its location, but it's mentioned somewhere in this thread.
Ah, I see, it is in ~/.modrana/user_config.conf and the option is map_folder

Thanks!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sup For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
I like your algorithm 4. You set a floor below which the threshold cannot fall, and have no discontinuity at the point where you start using HDOP information. If the HDOP is a one standard deviation radius, then 3 standard deviations is a good threshold.
OK then, looks like I'll implement number 3.

Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
It's nice that you're adding more parameters for us to tweak. One little advantage our poor orphaned OS has is that at this point it is likely that nearly all N900 owners are geeks. Somebody writing an Android app can't assume his users like to fiddle with the app's parameters, but we can.
Yeah, thats quite nice ! Still, good applications should be usable (in their default state) even for non-geeks but be configurable enough to satisfy advanced users.

Originally Posted by shady View Post
MartinK, were you able to find anything out using the file i sent?
Sorry, I haven't got to it yet - I was on vacation + was rewriting track logging + testing the new track logging & rerouting (while on vacation - both work just fine with 130 km/h+ on the Autobahn ). I'll check it out right away.

Originally Posted by sup View Post
Ah, I see, it is in ~/.modrana/user_config.conf and the option is map_folder
There are other useful options in this configuration file:
  • tracklog storage path
  • placement of map-screen buttons (per mode)
  • widget configuration (per mode)
user_config.conf
(It's quite heavily documented)

There is also another configuration file, used for configuring map layers:
map_config.conf

Last edited by MartinK; 2012-08-18 at 22:06. Reason: oops, fix algorithm number

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps