Active Topics

I am trying to debug some network connectivity issues with rDesktop. It's not working. So naturally I pop into xTerminal and do a ping. Hello, I need "root" access to do a ping? Amazing! Anyway, how do I get root access on the n800 (running OS2008), or how can I excecute a ping command?

Posts: 70 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Milan - Italy
Originally Posted by dcpete View Post
I am trying to debug some network connectivity issues with rDesktop. It's not working. So naturally I pop into xTerminal and do a ping. Hello, I need "root" access to do a ping? Amazing! Anyway, how do I get root access on the n800 (running OS2008), or how can I excecute a ping command?
edit your /etc/sudoers and append this
user ALL = NOPASSWD: /bin/ping

after that you can use the ping command without become root.

Maybe you are too lazy to use the search button so:

you need to install a utility called "becomeroot."

Click the globe symbol at the upper left of the Nokia display.
Choose "Open new browser window."
Enter "http://gronmayer.com/it" into the address window. There are actually many software repositories on the Web, this is a personal favorite that seems to have a wide selection.
Scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Select All Repositories." You can always delete some or all of them later, this step assures you will have a wide selection.
Click the "Install Selected" button.
Click "OK" to a bunch of "Add Catalog" prompts that will appear, one for each repository.
The above steps automatically launch the application manager, but you can also launch it by clicking the four-blocks icon and choosing "Settings" and then "Application Manager".
Choose "Browse Installable Applications."
Choose "All".
Scroll down to "Becomeroot", select it and choose "Install".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lupin3d For This Useful Post: