^ those would be awesome!

Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
Vesuri how about a version for incepted phones with features that are not allowed by aegis?

Originally Posted by Kozzi View Post
is it just me or the quality of pictures are worse in homescreen compared to viewing them in Gallery? It lags smoothness when there is gradient in the image.
Yep, it's 16 bit with no dithering so quality does suffer a bit.

Vesuri how about a version for incepted phones with features that are not allowed by aegis?
I have not had to leave out any features that belong to Home Screen Settings because of aegis, so I don't think that's necessary. I'd rather keep it clean and reliable without introducing any confusion over different versions or installation sources. I really believe it's better for the end user that way and reduces maintenance work from myself. My time is very limited, so I hope that's reasonable.

Thanks everyone for the dynamic background ideas. I will work on more dynamic backgrounds if I have the time at some point.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Vesuri For This Useful Post:
Slightly off topic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3vKRQ1L_58&fmt=18

See from 2:20. Now that's where that came from... Old skool!

The Following User Says Thank You to Manatus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 640 | Thanked: 435 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ rajvoSa BA
Originally Posted by Vesuri View Post
480x854.

It's not possible without patching system-ui and libmeegotouch.
well, even so, most of us will have to use patched and moded system files because nokia will not do anything more there...though...
anyhow, if you are able to replace /usr/share/themes/base/meegotouch/sysuid/style/statusarea.css by regular installation (similar to meegotouchhome) then it would be possible to write some code that will make landscape and portrait backgrounds. i am not really linux master, but i think it can be done, though?

The Following User Says Thank You to wook_sf For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Manatus View Post
Slightly off topic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3vKRQ1L_58&fmt=18

See from 2:20. Now that's where that came from... Old skool!
Actually, pretty much on topic - well spotted! That's exactly where that came from, all the way down to the coordinates I also wrote a 40 kilobyte intro with the same effects - a city scape could be taken from there :P

Originally Posted by wook_sf View Post
well, even so, most of us will have to use patched and moded system files
I'm afraid there's a disagreement over what "most of us" means in this context. I don't know if that's correct even when "us" means talk.maemo.org users, but Home Screen Settings is really targeted for ALL N9 users. I know for a fact that most N9 users will not and should not modify any system files.

Originally Posted by wook_sf View Post
anyhow, if you are able to replace usr/share/themes/base/meegotouch/sysuid/style/statusarea.css by regular installation (similar to meegotouchhome) then it would be possible to write some code that will make landscape and portrait backgrounds. i am not really linux master, but i think it can be done, though?
There are two problems here.

First of all, software packages should not modify files provided by other packages. Home Screen Settings does not replace any files provided by any of the Harmattan packages. The Debian packaging system prevents this for a reason. If packages modify files owned by other packages no one really owns the files and the consistency of the files can not be guaranteed.

Secondly, even though something can be done it doesn't mean that it should be done. Packages can modify files owned by other packages but that leads to the same situation described above. When done wrong, it leads to problems. This was already exhibited by a badly written package for which Home Screen Settings incorrectly got negative feedback about, which really was not that nice. A dirty hack can do this but anyone installing such a hack needs to be aware of the implications.

Technically the key thing here is that the Harmattan system theme is "blanco", which inherits "base". If an application has a base theme but no blanco theme, the base theme can be overridden by providing a blanco theme. However, if the application already provides a blanco theme (like sysuid does), overriding is not possible without modifying files provided by the application, which in turn should not be done since it leads to problems.

Anyone is free to modify their own system. Anyone is free to use a hack like N9 Tweak to modify their system. However, these modifications come with a requirement to understand what they may cause. Home Screen Settings provides a safe way to change certain things without risking system stability. I really would like to keep it that way and I appreciate everyone's understanding of such a choice. Home Screen Settings will continue to provide interesting home screen improvements without breaking anyone's system

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Vesuri For This Useful Post:
Actually, pretty much on topic - well spotted! That's exactly where that came from, all the way down to the coordinates I also wrote a 40 kilobyte intro with the same effects - a city scape could be taken from there :P

I'm afraid there's a disagreement over what "most of us" means in this context. I don't know if that's correct even when "us" means talk.maemo.org users, but Home Screen Settings is really targeted for ALL N9 users. I know for a fact that most N9 users will not and should not modify any system files.

There are two problems here.

First of all, software packages should not modify files provided by other packages. Home Screen Settings does not replace any files provided by any of the Harmattan packages. The Debian packaging system prevents this for a reason. If packages modify files owned by other packages no one really owns the files and the consistency of the files can not be guaranteed.

Secondly, even though something can be done it doesn't mean that it should be done. Packages can modify files owned by other packages but that leads to the same situation described above. When done wrong, it leads to problems. This was already exhibited by a badly written package for which Home Screen Settings incorrectly got negative feedback about, which really was not that nice. A dirty hack can do this but anyone installing such a hack needs to be aware of the implications.

Technically the key thing here is that the Harmattan system theme is "blanco", which inherits "base". If an application has a base theme but no blanco theme, the base theme can be overridden by providing a blanco theme. However, if the application already provides a blanco theme (like sysuid does), overriding is not possible without modifying files provided by the application, which in turn should not be done since it leads to problems.

Anyone is free to modify their own system. Anyone is free to use a hack like N9 Tweak to modify their system. However, these modifications come with a requirement to understand what they may cause. Home Screen Settings provides a safe way to change certain things without risking system stability. I really would like to keep it that way and I appreciate everyone's understanding of such a choice. Home Screen Settings will continue to provide interesting home screen improvements without breaking anyone's system
yes, i understand your concern about this, but i really don't see reason why power users shouldn't test and eventually patch up system. i am going to "upgrade" to n900 just because ui on harmattan is not so wonderful and not so useful...and since there's no more official development and support on harmattan....
anyhow, i was wondering if you are up to make live wallpapers more advanced so that svg files can be added, for example some package with few svgs and conf that define speed of animation, direction.....that would be very nice and powerful

The Following User Says Thank You to wook_sf For This Useful Post:
Vesuri can you take a look at this mod and tell if this can be implemented to Homescreen settings:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...87#post1230387
It used to work with pr1.2 but not with PR1.3, maybe with your knowledge this feature could be added to HSS.
Home screen settings 1.6.0, currently pending translations (and then Store QA), will include the following features:
  • Icon shadows
  • Folder opacity
  • Custom operator name

Here's a preview:

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Vesuri For This Useful Post:
Home screen settings 1.6.0, currently pending translations (and then Store QA), will include the following features:
  • Icon shadows
  • Folder opacity
  • Custom operator name

Here's a preview:
excelent, looking forward to get it
thank you Vesuri

Any interest about the live backround/s I proposed some time ago? You will be paid for your time

Tags
home screen, homescreen, orientation, settings, wallpaper