Active Topics

Big thanks to everyone, my phone is booting again. I reflashed the kernel and expect for the overclocking is everything as I lef it before.

So my question is : what to do next ? I still would like to try Nemo, Nitdroid, that is the reason i bought a SD card. I guess I should restore the power-kernel before I try to set up the U-Boot again.

But I am not sure what went wrong last time. To be honest I do not get the steps mentioned in the first post. I just want to try the booting from the SD card, to have the possibility to boot into the power-kernel and to access the backupmenu.

Could anyone give me some hints please ?

thank u all for the great work.. i tried going through all the posts.. still very confused.. my current installation works boots the default kernels well (stock PR1.3 and stock PR1.3 with framebuffer) and i re-partitioned my emmc (as per this guide) and wud like to play around with Nemo, meego, nitdroid and kubuntu..

but always seems to be getting an error "can't find kernel image"

so many questions with regards to understanding the logic.. it seems most of the guides are outdated or using varying methods or jumping steps and i cant keep up..

1- im guessing that u-boot-gen-combined and fiasco-gen is only needed if you want to create a combined image which u dont need if you follow normal u-boot item creation and u-boot-update-bootmenu ?? am i right ?

2- mkimage is used to convert the kernel to u-boot format uImage but do we need to manually copy boot.scr or is this copied by u-boot-update-bootmenu ?
what is the difference between zImage and uImage ?? the tar.gz archive is in zImage format while documentation refers to uImage sometimes..

3- when is the folder /user/MyDocs/bootmenu.img.d/ used ??

4- the kernel will be placed into /boot/ folder and i want to use p5 in my eMMC.. is this the right variables
ITEM_DEVICE="${INT_CARD}p5"
ITEM_CMDLINE="root=/dev/mmcblk0p5"

wud appreciate any input on this

Last edited by precioso77; 2012-08-26 at 05:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to precioso77 For This Useful Post:
1- im guessing that u-boot-gen-combined and fiasco-gen is only needed if you want to create a combined image which u dont need if you follow normal u-boot item creation and u-boot-update-bootmenu ?? am i right ?
if i understand it correctly, the combined image is the one attached to u-boot. You only need this if you want to change the default kernel from maemo to kp, for instance.

2- mkimage is used to convert the kernel to u-boot format uImage but do we need to manually copy boot.scr or is this copied by u-boot-update-bootmenu ?
what is the difference between zImage and uImage ?? the tar.gz archive is in zImage format while documentation refers to uImage sometimes..
u-boot-update-bootmenu does the conversion to uImage if necessary, and places the files automagically.

however, if you want to play with several kernels, it may be wise to make the conversion yourself and choose different names for the uImages, since u-boot seems to always use the same name.

3- when is the folder /user/MyDocs/bootmenu.img.d/ used ??
i would love to know that as well :-)

4- the kernel will be placed into /boot/ folder and i want to use p5 in my eMMC.. is this the right variables
ITEM_DEVICE="${INT_CARD}p5"
ITEM_CMDLINE="root=/dev/mmcblk0p5"
you do not need ITEM_DEVICE if your kernel is in /boot. the above variable points to a kernel in the eMMC, not in /boot.

I have been using the following procedure with fair success: manually convert the kernel images to uImages with a name that identifies the kernel, and place them at the root of the device. For instance, to boot from the uSD p2 using kernel vmlinuz-xxx I manually create uImage-xxx in uSD p2, and point u-boot to it.

Thx a million @caveman im getting closer.. now my kernels get loaded but the root system does not mount.. kernel panic..

here is some of my configs:
kernel is /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28.NIT.07

the configuration file im using is
Code:
ITEM_NAME="NITDroid"
ITEM_KERNEL="vmlinuz-2.6.28.NIT.07"
ITEM_CMDLINE="snd-soc-rx51.hp_lim=42 snd-soc-tlv320aic3x.hp_dac_lim=6 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p6 rw rootdelay=10 init=/init panic=20 debug"
ITEM_OMAPATAGS="1"
- on the u-boot command i ran ext2ls mmc 1:6 and it correctly showed the android file system

i ran u-boot-update-bootmenu but im getting a kernel panic with the following message..

i saw that someone else had a similar problem here but im not sure it offers a solution

Code:
[...]
List of all partitions:
No filesystem could mount root, tried:  ubifs
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block(0,0)
[...]
any ideas guys ??

The Following User Says Thank You to precioso77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by precioso77 View Post
Thx a million @caveman im getting closer.. now my kernels get loaded but the root system does not mount.. kernel panic..

here is some of my configs:
kernel is /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28.NIT.07

the configuration file im using is
Code:
ITEM_NAME="NITDroid"
ITEM_KERNEL="vmlinuz-2.6.28.NIT.07"
ITEM_CMDLINE="snd-soc-rx51.hp_lim=42 snd-soc-tlv320aic3x.hp_dac_lim=6 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p6 rw rootdelay=10 init=/init panic=20 debug"
ITEM_OMAPATAGS="1"
- on the u-boot command i ran ext2ls mmc 1:6 and it correctly showed the android file system

i ran u-boot-update-bootmenu but im getting a kernel panic with the following message..

i saw that someone else had a similar problem here but im not sure it offers a solution

Code:
[...]
List of all partitions:
No filesystem could mount root, tried:  ubifs
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block(0,0)
[...]
any ideas guys ??
Are you sure you don't need line
Code:
ITEM_FSTYPE="ext4"
or similar? Your error says
No filesystem could mount root, tried: ubifs
while i doubt your android root is formatted with ubifs

has anyone successfully boot nemo using the latest version of u-boot.if yes pls i d like 2 know how

Well, I tried installing 0.4-2 with kernel-power-bootimg, and it promptly bricks my n900 (the same issue with booting being stuck at "Starting Kernel"). However, the N900 boots off the SD card just fine. Is there any way to flash the kernel from there? Or better, is there any way to fix this from the command line (I'm currently in Nemo)?

Edit: Further clarification: My USB port doesn't work correctly for flashing - the computer doesn't see the device in flashing mode.

Edit 2: I've read somewhere that starting RescueOS with U-Boot works. However, writing the RescueOS img onto an SD card (using dd) and then using "run sdboot" doesn't work (U-Boot doesn't recognize that the card is bootable). Any ideas?

Last edited by aeon_light; 2012-09-01 at 08:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to aeon_light For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by misiak View Post
Are you sure you don't need line
Code:
ITEM_FSTYPE="ext4"
or similar?
added.. same error

Originally Posted by misiak View Post
Your error says while i doubt your android root is formatted with ubifs
it might be the problem.. can u please explain how to do it.. i looked at all of the guides that i found (a, b and c) but cant remember seeing how to do that format..

many thanks

@aeon how do i get nemo to work pls

See the Nemo wiki. In essence, if you already have a working U-Boot, just write the image to the SD card using dd or whatever tool your OS uses for doing this, put the SD card in your N900, boot with keyboard open, go to the console, and type in "run sdboot". Note that if you're trying to use it as a rescue system, it doesn't contain mtdutils (and for some reason, it wouldn't connect to my WPA-PSK network properly...)

Edit: Oh, and the RescueOS issue was a major oops on my part - it's not actually a bootable image, but an initrd file. Anyways, I'll reformat the card to fat32 and try again, but is there any way to specify the use of an initrd file to U-Boot for an SD boot?

Last edited by aeon_light; 2012-09-01 at 15:34.

The Following User Says Thank You to aeon_light For This Useful Post:

Tags
bootmenu, u-boot