Posts: 58 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by mogers View Post
And part of my original point is that I can't even get to the style selector on my 800. If I wait long enough for the entire home page to load up, I can still barely scroll the page. While the crashing seems to have stopped, it just hangs so long as to make it a waste of time to even try to look at this site.
If you register with the site and log in on both your N800 and PC you can change your default using a PC. When viewed on your N800 it uses the setting associated with your login ID.

It does mean you need to use classic on your PC...

BTW, I've uninstalled Adblock, and I after trying a modified hosts file with fakeweb I am currently using the userContent.css method mentioned on the site (Search for userContent.css). I added trabalfusion to the list of blocked images to stop the ITT top banner images...

Last edited by PJE; 2008-01-11 at 13:29.

The Following User Says Thank You to PJE For This Useful Post:
Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
Its sad that I keep seeing advice on changing to an alternate format. Why do we have to adapt to a forum that's supposed to be all about the tablet? I mean, I can see that if it was for some site about cooking or something.

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by phi View Post
Its sad that I keep seeing advice on changing to an alternate format. Why do we have to adapt to a forum that's supposed to be all about the tablet? I mean, I can see that if it was for some site about cooking or something.
I'm not sure what issues everyone is having with the site - assuming you're using OS2008 - I installed ad blocking to speed up the site, but it always worked for me (slowly). I just happen to prefer the classic arrangement on my N800. If you're using Opera on OS2007, then the site has more issues.

I will agree that the site is overly complex for what is being displayed. The front page images are superfluous and the site could be written in a lot simple manor. The arrangement of elements need reworking when viewed using the NIT into a single column rather than having the elements on the right. This could be selectively displayed depending on the device browsing the site (please add the iphone to the NIT list as I'm spoofing an iPhone for the Google site).

IGN with all its crappy flash advertisements loads faster than this site's main page... its terrible.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I get mixed results, which tells me that the design and content are only parts of the equation... network performance and traffic are obviously others.

And while I wish the site were more tablet-friendly, I also realize that it's basically 1 or 2 guys doing this, on their own initiative, out of their own pocket (not counting possible ad revenue, although my experience is that such income *might* cover monthly expenses, not development time and costs). So I tend to cut them a little slack. I'm trying to make a much smaller site tablet-friendly and discovering it isn't easy for the solo developer...

The site works great for the first 10s and the the web browser becomes completely unresponsive and asks to close. What's more, having two windows of I.T.T. open at the same time will fudge the bucket instantly for me. Its a bit of a shame but I cant read news about my tablet from my tablet... well at least I don't have to worry about my n800 getting all egotistical on me while I'm not looking.

Posts: 94 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Bangkok, Thailand
I'm two months away from a trip to the States and a N810. In your signature, you mention using OTG. Is a special cable required? If so, what is its make and model number? Any special knowledge needed for its use?

TIA,

Bill

i just had the problem myself with the site taking 100% cpu on my n810.
i rebooted and now it works fine. im posting with three other threads open as well as the front page.

very odd, but at least 'fixable' (for me, at least)

Long ago I switched to the Mobile 2 theme for this site and never looked back. The colors are hideous but it's very fast and usable.

In any case, it is just a matter of a vBulletin template and CSS, there is no secret to it - if anybody really suffers that much, he could easily roll a new layout and donate it...

The Following User Says Thank You to sevo For This Useful Post: