Active Topics

Finally did a scratchbox port and now my game seems to be crashing in SDL_Init on the device only. How frustrating! Don't know if I'll have time and energy to figure out what is wrong.

The Following User Says Thank You to rfeese For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by rfeese View Post
Finally did a scratchbox port and now my game seems to be crashing in SDL_Init on the device only. How frustrating! Don't know if I'll have time and energy to figure out what is wrong.
Quick reply... I have no understanding of SDL, so I googled it.
Initializing SDL (OpenGL tutorial)
http://www.meandmark.com/sdlopenglpart3.html
a program reduced to SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_EVERYTHING) crashes
http://forums.libsdl.org/viewtopic.p...7a6af2abafe71a
xsp has to be enabled *before* sdl_init
Is the problem easier to solve by now?
Best wishes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Still haven't figured out why my code is exiting while SDL is initializing. Running it inside GDB I get "program exited normally", even when I try disabling the SDL parachute, which seems strange. I have another project using SDL and GLES which is working, so I SHOULD be able to figure it out, in theory.

I will resist the temptation to smash my phone and see if I can get some vacation time tomorrow or something to work on it. I'm busy this weekend so I will have to be finished by tomorrow night.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rfeese For This Useful Post:
Posts: 22 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Kajaani, Finland
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Thanks jukra, yep I can confirm I've already received it - will update the wiki in a second
Great that my submission of BioPower came through! Please do update the wiki, too!

Last edited by jukra; 2012-09-06 at 19:26.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jukra For This Useful Post:
Hello !

I just submitted HeySms !

Bye bye !

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to titilambert For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
kojacker, zehjotkah

This Friday, at 15:00 UTC, we will have a meeting with X-Fade. Please send the details for CC voting to council@maemo.org so we can comment it with him and try to assist if you want to comment about it.
I had it in my mind that the meeting was still at 18:00, I've just sent the following email to the council regarding voting details. Hopefully you'll have a chance to glance over it before the meeting with X-Fade in a couple of hours. If not, the message is we'll like to keep things the same as last year and missing details like entrants etc I'll be able to provide after the closing date (10th). Also, I think we all feel the council voting mechanism is the right way to do this, so we can be as flexible as we need to be to assist X-Fade in getting it done. Please let him know we really would appreciate his help with this

Hi council,

This is very short notice, but I'm hoping you can liaise on behalf of the coding competition with X-Fade before he leaves on holiday (if I understand correctly, he will be away for a week after 10th September). Effectively we'd like to stay as close a possible to the same voting procedure as was used last year. The exception being that last year we had 8 categories to vote on, this year we have one less - so 7 categories in total. Hopefully we'll be able to find out a solution with X-Fade that works around his current commitments and also enables us to use the council voting mechanism for the competition.

The list of competition entrants are not final at this time (the end date for submission is the 10th of September) but will be available for X-Fade soon after closing.

User eligibility to vote will be exactly the same as the normal council election voting, in regards to registration date and karma.

We'd like the voting period to begin as quickly as it's possible after the closing date. A date soon after X-Fade's return when he is able to set things up would be fine. We can still go through verification of entries/set up category highlight threads in the meantime. As for a voting period, depending on when voting starts, a week or 2 maximum would be sufficient.

The email sent out to users last year (copied below) had the following structure, and something similar for this year would be perfect. I can update with the missing details later.

Thanks again for your help with this
Ryan (Kojacker)

SUBJECT: Maemo Community / MeeGo Coding Competition 2012 voting
Dear <USER>,
The voting of the Maemo Community / MeeGo Coding Competition 2012 is now open, and you have received this email as you are eligible to vote.
There are <NUMBER OF CATEGORIES> different categories so you are able to vote <NUMBER OF CATEGORIES> times - once in each category.
A full list of participants, the projects and screenshots can be found at:
<COMPETITION LINK>

HOW TO VOTE
-----------
Voting will run from now until <END DATE>.
Your voting credentials are:
URL: http://maemo.org/vote/
E-mail: XXXXXXXXX
Vote token: XXXXXXXX
After authenticating yourself, you can choose your preferred project in order of preference. You will have an opportunity to verify and confirm your vote afterwards.
Once you have confirmed your vote, a unique secret identifier will be given to you which will allow you to verify after the
voting that your vote was counted correctly.
Once you have voted, you will not be able to vote again.
Note: You have to use the same voting credentials for all the categories.
Thank you for your vote!
Regards,
Maemo Community Council

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Germany
I just submitted MeeGoal.
EmaNymton

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EmaNymton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 148 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Yerevan
Any chance that deadline will be deferred?
I noticed the competition event too late (of course my fault) and currently code as much time as I can, but afraid won't do it in time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to norayr For This Useful Post:
Hi,
Could you please add my entry for the Coding Competition to the participants table, I am not sure how to, so I really don't want to mess the wiki page up.

Developer: aStrike (Oren B)
Application: Alpha Strike (Fast-paced 3D action shooting game)
Category: Games, Graphics & Multimedia
Current Progress: stable release 100%
Beginner Entry: Y
Platform (MeeGo/Maemo/etc): fremantle (N900), MeeGo planned

Thanks In Advance!

The Following User Says Thank You to aStrike For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by norayr View Post
Any chance that deadline will be deferred?
I noticed the competition event too late (of course my fault) and currently code as much time as I can, but afraid won't do it in time.
Sorry norayr, ofcourse we want you in our competition too but we got to stick to the deadline we got

Just try to get as much done as you can, and as long as it does something and is tested to be safe then we'll probably find a place for it So hopefully you can save a few corners with the functionality and get it completed in time - good luck

Originally Posted by aStrike View Post
Hi,
Could you please add my entry for the Coding Competition to the participants table, I am not sure how to, so I really don't want to mess the wiki page up.

Developer: aStrike (Oren B)
Application: Alpha Strike (Fast-paced 3D action shooting game)
Category: Games, Graphics & Multimedia
Current Progress: stable release 100%
Beginner Entry: Y
Platform (MeeGo/Maemo/etc): fremantle (N900), MeeGo planned

Thanks In Advance!
No problem, I'll do that now Don't forget to submit it through the form http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo.org_Codi...an_Application

@ all - by the way, I need to talk to you all about your submissions. There isn't a problem, but you might all hate me anyway

Quite a few of you have done really good and lengthy details on your applications. In reality, in the voting thread there could be less than 10 lines per entry. If you imagine this equation .. (1 app details + screenshots) * how many entries = a very long thread.

Please try to keep the details in your submissions fairly concise. Otherwise you'll find when your entries are posted they could be really edited down. So hopefully you can add all the great instructions and details you've done onto your announce threads, then i can link to that from each entry in the voting thread.

To put it into context, there is one entry I copied and pasted into a TMO forum post just to see and that one entry alone was too many characters to submit!

By the way, there's no need to submit your application multiple times with minor detail changes. Once you've entered you will remain entered, relax! Just email me the final changes you want after Sunday if you like There will be time for you all to check over your entries and ask me to update them with whatever details you want later. As long as your initial submission is in for your application before the deadline, minor things can be changed later.

These are the things I MUST know (if they have changed from your original submission) before the Sunday midnight deadline:
  • Application Name
  • Category
  • Developer Name and/or Username

Pretty much everything else is 'details' and they can be updated later.

Edit:
With 2 days to go, here are the current 'scores on the doors'. The first number is registered in the wiki, the number in () is submitted.
  • Desktop, System, & Utilities: 25 (8)
  • Games, Graphics, & Multimedia: 31 (8)
  • Location & Navigation: 8 (1)
  • Network & Communications: 19 (7)
  • Other: 13 (8)
  • Updates: 17 (11)

and 2 TBD

Location & Navigation continues to disappoint with only one confirmed submission so far, I've sent out an SOS to the world

Originally Posted by rfeese View Post
Still haven't figured out why my code is exiting while SDL is initializing. Running it inside GDB I get "program exited normally", even when I try disabling the SDL parachute, which seems strange. I have another project using SDL and GLES which is working, so I SHOULD be able to figure it out, in theory.

I will resist the temptation to smash my phone and see if I can get some vacation time tomorrow or something to work on it. I'm busy this weekend so I will have to be finished by tomorrow night.
Did you have any luck with this rfeese?

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-09-07 at 21:26.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:

Tags
happy new year, mcc2012, merry christmas