Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
it's true...

we have reached the 4th quarter of 2012 and we still don't know nothing on the upcoming Jolla device.

they are moving slow.. reminds me of Nokia.

They didn't say anything about quarters. They said announcement will be this year (probably means - expect towards the end of the year). Really they didn't even have to announce their existence until later (until they have a site and public roadmap), except that they wanted to get some attention.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I'm starting to believe they don't want attention. They do everything to keep quiet except for a few same old same old CEO answers.

Rally the foot soldiers and kick the door in. We are jolla this is what we want to do. Check out our website. This is what we want to achieve!

But nooooo... Their product won't sell itself. They need to work with branding!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-09-10 at 21:46.

They used the Nokia / Qt news waves to gather media attention, and now they try to interest developers directing them to Nemo and Mer for a start until further details will be published. If you aren't a developer - you'll have to wait until their product is announced. Just get busy with something else, or help out Mer project and Nemo in some other ways.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-09-10 at 21:50.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
This is not a technical issue. I suspect they lack buissniss staff.

They might only go for techies and no regular consumers. That would explain it.

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Jolla perhaps, made a genuine mistake in coming out publicly.
Although trying to re-assure Meego/Maemo/Harmattan fans that hadn't been abandoned, it might have been better for them to remain silent. At least that way all the whinging and whining would have stayed directed at Nokia, instead of being transferred to them for not being "quick" enough to publicly announce all their ideas and provide a website for people to complain about as well.

They really have nothing to loose, so I don't think it's a mistake. Those who wait - will wait anyway. But there is a chance they'll interest some more people. Though I agree that such premature announcement which is mostly followed by "can't reveal details yet" - looks awkward.

No, but they have to work on their public appearance. That is as important as a well built device.

Just give the techs and power users something to explain for a regular user. Something they can relate to. That would automatically sell devices. No?

@shmerl don't get me wrong. I'm more than happy to wait, for if nothing else, I'll get a Jolla handset only to support further development potential that isn't a part of the "triumvirate of clones"
It just gets boring reading all the complaints. For most, until the initial announcement on the back of the 1.3 release, no-one even knew they existed.
For that matter, I doubt most people even realise how much the dedicated team@Mer have done in such a short time.

In many ways, this is why I admire RIM for not succumbing to releasing a product that isn't finished, just to satisfy the screaming hordes. The delay of BB10 may have a negative impact on the company financially, but at least it provides time to tidy up the code and polish the UI so the end product is bug free (well...). For the same reason, I'm happy for Jolla to take as much time as they need to get it "right" for their initial product release.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
No, but they have to work on their public appearance. That is as important as a well built device.

Just give the techs and power users something to explain for a regular user. Something they can relate to. That would automatically sell devices. No?
The incredibly rapid expansion of twitter followers, including the mainstream and blog coverage is a great market research tool for Jolla, to better target and develop a more permanent web presence.

Right at this moment, without a product to sell, they need to focus less on responding to the public (or a small but vocal minority) and more on development of OS, hardware integration and UI, to ensure the best possible platform makes it to market.

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla