Posts: 258 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lima-Peru
Well I just about to finish my dat at work and found out this website.

NexPhone
The smartphone that becomes a tablet, laptop or PC.

When connected to a monitor and a keyboard, using the Nex dock, NexPhone provides a real computer experience using
Ubuntu for Android software.
Ubuntu is free and open source operating system which is as easy as using Windows or Mac.
It is used by millions of users on their computers and supports hundreds of applications including office productivity, photography, video and music.
Looks very interesting the concept the idea!

Could it be true ? Lol

PS: They are rising money in Indiegoo

Have my N900 since 2010 and still is my main phone!

I'm Making money viewing Ads Here Now making money to donate to the forum

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Looks like a bad render.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
It seems that there basic idea is to take an existing idea (Atrix+dock) and route it wirelessly (NFC?).

Could be implemented well through low latency streaming or might look horrendous if they choose VNC.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Could be implemented well through low latency streaming or might look horrendous if they choose VNC.
The SPICE protocol could be quite nice for this.

Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
It seems that there basic idea is to take an existing idea (Atrix+dock) and route it wirelessly (NFC?).

Ubuntu for Andriod doesn't use VNC, Andriod and Ubuntu use the same Linux Kernel and runs simultaneously along side each other, Ubuntu only becomes active when the phone is docked. VNC has nothing to do with this setup and works like a charm. Check out http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android for more information.

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Brazil
I dont like Ubuntu, Unity sucks!
Im using Mandriva Linux

Errr... You do know that Ubuntu supports gnome, kde, lxde, xfce, and probably some other desktop enviroments, right? Anyways...

This is being typed from a docked Atrix, overclocked to 1500 Mhz, running LXDE, and, especially considering that suckorola has decided to dump the Webtop Ubuntu enviroment, opting instead to create a lame Tablet UI for the docks, I think I've just found my next phone.

Btw, personally I consider the Atrix to be the spiritual successor to the N900. Hell, motorola even made the same mistake nokia did and ignored they had gold on their hands with the full desktop on phone with dock concept.

The Following User Says Thank You to number41 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 252 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Denmark
I hope it wouldn't be based on the NeXT OS
The NextStep UI wouldn't be that great on a phone ;D

Well I love my N950 and wouldn't change (in the next time) if I don't find a better phone. My top three main priorities with a phone are qwerty keyboard, open source and shares similarities with a Linux desktop (X or Wayland-based).

Good in theory, terrible in practice.

I'm flattered

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Originally Posted by diogotrc View Post
I dont like Ubuntu, Unity sucks!
Im using Mandriva Linux
Try this http://extix.exton.net/
It's Ubuntu minus unity or you can try the other custom one he has at the bottom of that page.

I used http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ to put it onto my N9 and booted from it in mass storage mode then installed it while using it. I think I will switch to that other one though at the bottom of his page

"MeX 12.04 64bit Linux » version 120722 based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with KDE 4.8.4, Gnome 3.4.1, Gnome Classic, Unity 5.8, Xfce 4.10, Fluxbox 1.3.2, XBMC 11, Cinnamon 1.4 and kernel 3.5.0-5-exton"

because I was a dork and did an upgrade in synaptic and lost my razorqt desktop although I could just boot up again from my N9 and reinstall.