Active Topics

I wonder if there is the equivalent of a .bat file available, complete with icon, that can be just clicked on, to set host mode?

Based on the threads I've seen so far, I'm not sure host mode is required on the N810. I'll have the necessary A2A female connector next week and will run some tests.

on mine, the host mode is required. no host, no usb

I cannot enter the command entirely manually for some reason, but the tab thing does work: echo host > /sy[tab]/dev[tab]/plat[tab]/mu[tab]/mode.

I believe that unless you are going to mod the cable to connect pins 4 and 5 you will have to use xterm and becomeroot to use a USB device...

Can anyone tell me the purpose of the osso-usb-mass-storage-enable.sh file?

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Germany
Hi,

I just wanted to ask, whether

Code:
echo host > /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/mode
is really necessary?

When I connect an external USB disc (self powered Archos device) to my via N810 ist just loads as external drive without the necessity to change form USB to host mode.

I even tried switching explicitly to host or USB mode - but it works either way...

Is there something that was changed during the updates to/in OS2008?

Cheers

Franko30

while not the most ideal way to handle things I wrote some very simple shell scripts so that I didn't have to remember all that stuff you may normally have to type.

I created two scripts one named 'usb-host', and 'usb-otg'. to accomplish something similar create two text files put the two lines of data you see below in them for the appropriate mode (excluding the underscores).
#!/usr/bin/env sh
echo otg > /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/mode

after you create these two files run a 'chmod +x filename ' on both of them with filename being their respective names. This will mark them as an executable file. They can now be run in xterm by typing their name preceded by a './' ex. (./usb-host). However, you still need to be root for this to work. so don't forget to run 'sudo gainroot' first.

I apologise if this is an extremely drawn out explanation but I figure since you said you have no experience with linux it may be a little helpful being more broken down.

The Following User Says Thank You to pseudomin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Franko30 View Post
Hi,

I just wanted to ask, whether

Code:
echo host > /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/mode
is really necessary?

When I connect an external USB disc (self powered Archos device) to my via N810 ist just loads as external drive without the necessity to change form USB to host mode.

I even tried switching explicitly to host or USB mode - but it works either way...

Is there something that was changed during the updates to/in OS2008?

Cheers

Franko30
It would seem your experience is anomalous.

Posts: 239 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Massachusetts
What cable are you using?

Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Yaholo View Post
It would seem your experience is anomalous.
I got my n810 a few days ago and from a first glance at the usb port i don't think it's an anomaly. At least my machine seems to have a recepticle that will also accept a micro-a plug. This means that the recepticle is usb otg compliant and will allow you to automatically switch into host mode by just using a micro-a equipped cable. There's no magic involved then, Nokia just did it right.

I just ordered the required cable myself to verify this.

The Following User Says Thank You to Master of Gizmo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 48 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Germany
Originally Posted by dubwise View Post
What cable are you using?
The Usb-to-micro-USB cable delivered with the N810 together with a simple USB-to-mini-USB cable and both are connected with a USB-female-to-USB-female-adapter I bought at a German chain-store called "Media Markt".

Cheers

Franko30

Since I started this thread, I should point out that the question I posed is answered here:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=14092

It requires a minor modification to a cable which anyone with a soldering iron and a razor blade can do. No software, no terminal mode, no bat files or scripting required. Works rather well for many USB devices.