Posts: 277 | Thanked: 285 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Poland
Do you even hear yourself? We're hoping for the best and keeping our fingers crossed for a good Jolla phone but we're not saying that it'll be the best. Moreover, we're not even saying that it'll be great. We know that it's probably going to be middle end and it won't be able to compete with other high end phone in terms of camera, specs, we're just hoping for their OS to be open. How is this jSheep? Explain. Using good arguments.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by szymeczek34 View Post
Do you even hear yourself? We're hoping for the best and keeping our fingers crossed for a good Jolla phone but we're not saying that it'll be the best. Moreover, we're not even saying that it'll be great. We know that it's probably going to be middle end and it won't be able to compete with other high end phone in terms of camera, specs, we're just hoping for their OS to be open. How is this jSheep? Explain. Using good arguments.
stop feed the Troll!!!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Because some people are not discussing things in the manner or with the same position as yourself shouldn't mean that they should be excluded form the conversations.

Naysayers exist. Always. But seeing them either justified with their continued attitude or silenced is up to the deliverables from the company, not your fandom.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
But when you want to do some more advanced stuff - games, editors, terminal emulators, painting programs, video players - you either can't (all graphic intensive games on WebOS actually use SDL, not the Enyo or Mojo frameworks) or have to use horrible hacks.
I think that is mostly because of portability reasons, and because you cannot really use WebGL at all on released webOS versions.

But any sane "HTML5" API these days will have both WebGL and one of the FileReader/Streamer/IO APIs. And the FileReader API is a streaming, quite reasonable one; we have been able to read (in JS!) multi-gigabyte files -- containing serialized huge trees -- without the browser running out of memory .

These days I am not able to find any important difference between a HTML application API and Qt Quick. Even in webOS you could very well just have used a PDL plugin/hybrid application which is more or less the same as having a Qt Quick app use "native" QObjects implemented in C++, without creating a node.js service that reads/serializes the files as you described
(though, people DO prefer not having to code anything in C++).

Last edited by javispedro; 2012-09-29 at 16:37.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Because some people are not discussing things in the manner or with the same position as yourself shouldn't mean that they should be excluded form the conversations.

Naysayers exist. Always. But seeing them either justified with their continued attitude or silenced is up to the deliverables from the company, not your fandom.
there is no point "discuss" with Trolls like lumiaman. He is just repeating stuff over and over again and only make people reply even more stupid answers. They shoulf have learned long ago that those offtopic discussions leads nowhere!

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Hey, BTW, do you see any future portable devices for those of us who do prefer to code everything in C++? The pickings have been getting mighty slim lately...

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
On the contrary, I prefer to code the logic in C++. User interface is a different story. Using Qt - it's a good method to use QML for the interface, and C++ for functional logic.

Since C++ has its shortcomings, there are some new languages emerging which try to address them. Out of those I like Rust the most:

http://rust-lang.org

Downside of JavaScript is dynamic types system. Static types are way cleaner and safer to use.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-09-30 at 00:58.

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Hey, BTW, do you see any future portable devices for those of us who do prefer to code everything in C++? The pickings have been getting mighty slim lately...
Sure, the future is not all in JavaScript. It's just hyped, like Java used to be. Compiled languages aren't going anywhere - don't worry. See above about Rust (it's mostly developed by Mozilla now). Google created their Go as well, though I think Rust is more interesting since it doesn't enforce automatic garbage collecting and allows low level coding, not unlike pure C. C++11 is also interesting in its own right.

Also, portable devices now are more constrained in comparison to regular computers. So performance is really important. So compiled languages give an advantage.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-09-30 at 00:59.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Compiled languages aren't going anywhere - don't worry.
Also, portable devices now are more constrained in comparison to regular computers. So performance is really important. So compiled languages give an advantage.
Yeah, I agree. Unfortunately, most device manufacturers don't seem to agree; at the very least, you get locked into a language of their choosing (Objective C for Apple, Java for Android, and I'm not sure what for WP). Apple originally wanted all iPhone apps to be HTML based. Last I heard, Tizen/Mer were focussing on an HTML5-based environment, much as javispedro is describing.

I really liked the fact that I could write C++ apps for my N900 without having to root it and dump/replace layers and layers of constrictive UI stuff. I really want a portable computer, not a Steve Jobs style portable media player...

Objective C is a compiled language though. But I don't get its appeal vs regular C++. If one wants something different, Rust is way more interesting than Objective C.

Android is a constrained system. Google thought that Java hype will attract many developers to Android. But in result even they allowed using C/C++ there, with native compilation. Windows Phone in contrast doesn't allow it (or to be precise they allow it to the "privileged" and don't allow to everyone else). It's really dumb in my opinion. They mostly promote C# obviously, since it's MS creation.

Mer based systems which are normal Linux, and not some constrained Android should be most interesting for developers IMO.

Tizen seems to go a similar path.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-09-30 at 01:32.

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla