Posts: 704 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Johannesburg - South Africa
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ms+malfunction

No solution to this, learnt to leave with it, when it happens, deleting all messages temporarily fixes it!

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
I also had this on the n900

Originally Posted by Muzimak View Post
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ms+malfunction

No solution to this, learnt to leave with it, when it happens, deleting all messages temporarily fixes it!

Yes.. Read the above complete thread. Its pertaining to same issue we are discussing here. But here at TMO, we never say die.

So still hoping to know the rootcause and get it resolved.
Once and for all...

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Malaysia
Hello everyone.

Here is my scenario:

1. Bought a 16Gb Magenta in Oct '11. Worked flawlessly (no real problems).

2. Bought a 64Gb Black in April '12. Gave older one (on PR1.2 by that time) to wife after cleared personal data and account, but not reset or flash. All installed apps were not removed.

3. 64Gb Black working flawlessly (had screen replaced for bad pixels though, but other than that...). But the 16Gb Magenta I gave to my wife started getting her text messages jumbled up within a week of use. And it almost always involved those non-contact, non-cellular numbers from either retailers/banks/operators that have either no number (company name instead) or just short non-usual numbers (similarly described a few posts up before me).

4. We waited (and she tolerated) to see if PR1.3 would fix this issue. It didn't. Deleting all affected messages (or deleting all messeges) stops the mix-up until another non-cellular message comes in. Not every single time, but I would say more than 50% of the time it triggers a mix up. But AFAICR, 100% of the time it is caused by non-cellular messages. What is weird though, my wife did a little experiment once where she didn't touch the messages or send out any messages until the person who's message thread was jumbled sent her another message. Amazingly, the messages in that particular thread un-jumbled itself!! However, my wife was able to recreate this scenario only one other time with one other message thread. Odd. Phone got confused, got its' bearings again, then got lost again. Now even messages from three different numbers/contacts gets mixed up into one thread. Haha!

5. Started thinking that this could have somehow been caused by not having cleared everything from the phone before passing the phone to her. So, backed up her phone via Nokia Suite and did clean install (reset phone, clear all data) of PR1.3 via NSU. Problem persisted within a day. Did another clean install now via Nokia Suite. Problem still persisting till today.

So folks, sorry if that was a bit long . I just wanted to give the whole scenario in case it might help to get to the bottom of this. Rather ridiculous this. Only saving grace is Wazapp (sometimes) haha

Wonky messaging aside, my wife loves the N9! To any ex-Nokia Harmattan dev that might be reading this, HELP! LOL

p/s: off topic but might as well share other observations. Personal experience, 16Gb Magenta has feel of better build and better screen colours than 64Gb Black (even after 64Gb Black screen was replaced and exact same settings). Side buttons on 64Gb protrudes out more than 16Gb. Now 1 year old micro USB latch/cover on 16Gb is doing better than 6 months old USB cover on 64Gb. But nothing really bad though, just something I noticed but doesn't really bother either of us much. Just SMS mix-ups!

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
lzuan,
do a rootfs+emmc flash once; the bug should not occur again or if it rears its ugly head; it would be only very rarely...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
lzuan,
do a rootfs+emmc flash once; the bug should not occur again or if it rears its ugly head; it would be only very rarely...
Cheers for the reply . I'm gonna try find time this weekend to learn to do that . Will update you all with the outcome.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by Izuan View Post
Cheers for the reply . I'm gonna try find time this weekend to learn to do that . Will update you all with the outcome.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82693

The above guide is your friend...

The command for a full flash that you are interested in is:

Code:
flasher -f -F rootfs.bin -F emmc.bin -R

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82693

The above guide is your friend...

The command for a full flash that you are interested in is:

Code:
flasher -f -F rootfs.bin -F emmc.bin -R
Thanks thedead1440, you're a champion! I'll be giving this a try.

The Following User Says Thank You to Izuan For This Useful Post:
The only solution is to reset the tracker db. on N9.

type in terminal: tracker-control -r this resets the tracker on N9.

BACKUP YOUR DATA BEFORE RUN TRACKER RESET! all your messages get deleted, and I've heard contacts can be lost as well, but mine were not.