Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
Jolla's sailfish is excused for not being out already.
but wtf is happening with Tizen?

where is it?
You sound like my elementary teacher

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Sfiet_Konstantin View Post
All other components, that are the package manager, basic libraries, kernel etc. are already provided.
Mer does not provide a kernel:
Mer does not provide a kernel - this is part of the Hardware Adaptation that vendors need to deliver.

Instead Mer provides packaging support and defines the CONFIG_ options that are usually needed for a Mer device.

A kernel of 2.6.32 or higher is required
Other than that OK.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
Jolla's sailfish is excused for not being out already.
but wtf is happening with Tizen?

where is it?
Tizen 1.0 has been out for a long time, and Tizen 2.0 will be released by the end of the year. You just don't read much about it because people don't get very excited about Tizen and there are no (non-developer) devices yet...

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Excellent summary, I can't wait till all of this if 100% clarified (at least the MeR/Sailfish platforms, maybe not everything about Jolla OS) on Nov. 21st.
I hope that they can finally start answering some of our questions then (maybe even some before), & the remainder or new ones after the 21st.
What worries me, that Mer is already set up as a base for OEMs and vendors. If Sailfish will take that role - won't it cause a confusion and more fragmented situation? I.e. if Mer is a common platform for Mer deriatives, it's easier to target all of them. If Sailfish will become its own "common ground", won't it obscure Mer role for vendors? It really requires a clear explanation.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-10-07 at 01:03.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
What worries me, that Mer is already set up as a base for OEMs and vendors. If Sailfish will take that role - won't it cause a confusion and more fragmented situation? I.e. if Mer is a common platform for Mer deriatives, it's easier to target all of them. If Sailfish will become its own "common ground", won't it obscure Mer role for vendors? It really requires a clear explanation.
If Sailfish and/or Mer are set up as "walled gardens" just like iOS / Android / WP, then yes, that will be a problem. But if they follow the same pattern that normal Linux distributions do, then no, it shouldn't be. I have one of my Linux boxes running Fedora, and another running Arch (and I've had a Ubuntu box up from time to time). Each distribution has its own quirks, but I can run the same copy of, say, Firefox on each one without any trouble.

Fragmentation occurs because vendors try to create fragmentation; they feel it improves their bottom line. We'll have to see just how open the licensees of Sailfish feel they can be...

Here Sailfish will be using Mer, but will pose as a metadistro. Since Mer is already a metadistro for vendors - that's confusing. Unless Sailfish is intended as a higher level metadistro, with additional components which Mer lacks, which it intends to standardize (not sure what those are). If those will be open - it'll be OK I guess. If they'll be closed but still posed as meta components - that's very much not OK.

Anyway, it's hard to understand anything until there will be more details. I just expressed obvious concerns which come to mind.

Mer is not set up as a "walled garden". Any vendor can use it (like PlasmaActive already does). My concerns are not about Mer, but about Sailfish.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-10-07 at 03:28.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Here Sailfish will be using Mer, but will pose as a metadistro. Since Mer is already a metadistro for vendors - that's confusing. Unless Sailfish is intended as a higher level metadistro, with additional components which Mer lacks, which it intends to standardize (not sure what those are). If those will be open - it'll be OK I guess. If they'll be closed but still posed as meta components - that's very much not OK.
Think:

* If you need to improve something on core level in Sailfish, you contribute to Mer and follow their processes
* If you need to improve something on handset middleware and toolkits layer in Sailfish, you contribute to Nemo and follow their processes, or if you want to work on one or more community UIs based on those.
* If you need to improve something on productized layer (codecs, translations, productized UI, as examples), you go into Sailfish specific stuff - that part is more hazy but intent is on community participation and you follow their processes there.

Does that make more sense?

The hope, at least from my side is that by keeping things separate like this, we achieve the most openness and innovation ability.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2012-10-07 at 05:25.

This sounds OK. So does it mean that Sailfish intendeds to standardize some "product style" UI guidelines / templates etc. which Jolla intends for others to use? Or standardize some proprietary stack (like codecs)? I.e. what is the point in that layer if vendors prefer to create their own UIs, and Jolla's UI will be specific to Jolla.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
This sounds OK. So does it mean that Sailfish intendeds to standardize some "product style" UI guidelines / templates etc. which Jolla intends for others to use? Or standardize some proprietary stack (like codecs)? I.e. what is the point in that layer if vendors prefer to create their own UIs, and Jolla's UI will be specific to Jolla.
Big vendors may prefer to create their own UIs, but what about small fish? I think in one of the interviews it was said we're not jealous of our UI.

There's still effort in what it takes to really productize something that can't easily happen in pure open source projects (IPR, codec licensing, added value, etc) and I think that's where Sailfish comes in.

The good news is that all the work that happens also goes to improve Mer Core and Nemo middleware.

From my own, personal, perspective, I believe that a community can create quite interesting UI and devices if they have the tools available to do so. Going from idea, to software, to actually shipping it on devices. Enabling the community to innovate is for sure key.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2012-10-07 at 05:36.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Here Sailfish will be using Mer, but will pose as a metadistro. Since Mer is already a metadistro for vendors - that's confusing. Unless Sailfish is intended as a higher level metadistro, with additional components which Mer lacks, which it intends to standardize (not sure what those are).
Distros of distros are the name of the game in the Linux world; just check out the Big List. I see nothing wrong with having lots of choices.

But yeah, we'll have to see how Sailfish turns out. If it ends up being just another (walled garden) Android, that'll be kinda disheartening. If it ends up being just another Android and becomes far more popular than Mer, that'll be even more disheartening...

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla