Posts: 66 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Madison, WI
Another dead N800 user here... My device quit after 8 hours and won't turn on beyond briefly flashing the NOKIA boot screen...

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...d.php?p=125901

I'm pretty much to the point of sending my N800 back. I don't have any SD cards installed and have tried almost all of the combinations of plugging/unplugging power, removing battery, etc and have just about had enough. I'm going to try reflashing it again with OS2007/OS2008 to see if it helps.

As it stands I have to take the battery out for 30-45 minutes after shutdown before I can power it back up again. I love to dabble and experiment with Linux and gadgets as much as the next guy but that is ridiculous for something I paid so much for.

EDIT:

My appears to be bricked. I've not been able to turn it on at all today. I've tried every trick and method I've read on this forum and nothing seems to work....I'll leave the battery out overnight as a last ditch effort before RMAing it.

Last edited by oakleeman; 2008-01-14 at 05:05.

Nokia service has instructed me to take my battery in and out of the device repeatedly to fix my "not powering on" issue. I'll keep you posted. My N800 is not yet "bricked" but turns on only when plugged into the charger. I will last several days on standby mode, so it still works. The bummer is that it won't start up into "software update" mode so I'm stuck with OS2007.

Nokia support also asked me to explore my "exchange and return" options with my retailer. Buy.com's 14-day return policy isn't helping me at this point.

I'll keep you all posted.

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
From the beginning, I thought that my N800 acted same as yours. But later on I learned that the on/off key has to be pushed hard (and not released) for a long period of time to power it on.

Do not release it quickly! Hope this help !

Ok, so i signed up just to voice my problem also. I got my N800 on friday and unless it is on the charger it will not turn on. Sometimes (many times) I have to do the "wait 30 minutes trick".

I purchased it from tigerdirect.com and even though I love it, this thing is useless to me plugged in.

Any other suggestions would be great, i am willing to try anything.

Oh, and I was able to get it to turn on without the cord yesterday so i got it updated with the latest OS2008. I also disabled virtual memory so that cannot be the problem.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
As our fellow Bunanson suggested me, I have opened a poll on the general section about the power on failure, so everybody is invited to vote...

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
If you charged your battery fully to start with and you still have major problems with it, I don't know about you, but I wouldn't put up with it. Mine works great, but if it had this kind of problem, I would return it. I think having multiple fresh batteries helps, and they can be gotten cheaply, but I didn't have any problems like this when I had only one battery.

I had a similar problem. I called Nokia and they told me to send it for repairs. I was not fully convinced that it was any hardware issue.

This time Problem happened within an hour or so of my last tuning it off with batteries almost full, thus batteries should not have drained fully even if processor kept consuming it. After Reading through this thread I tried just taking the battery out. I did not charge it. I just left it out for half hour or so and then reinstalled it.

Voila, N800 powered up with battery showing up as full. Thus I am thinking that battery was never really fully drained. But some process is stuck not allowing it to power up.

Someone else with this problem can confirm please?

So it turns out mine wasn't bricked after all. The next morning I took it back out of the box and put the battery in...sure enough it turned on. I plugged it back in and fully charge. Turned it off while still plugged into power, immediately plugged it into my pc and held my breath as I pressed power. It came on and I reflashed it with OS2008.

I didn't turn it off for the next two days until just now. Turned it off while AC plugged in and was able to turn it back on. I just now turned it off with AC unplugged and let it set for 2-3 minutes...sure enough it won't turn on.

So it looks like I still need to send it back but now I have a slight problem. I misplaced the 256MB card during my testing and haven't been able to find it. Would anybody here by chance be willing to sell theirs or do you think tigerdirect would notice if I switched it out with a 1GB micro-SD?

I had this problem earlier today as well. I usually just keep it on all the time, but I decided to turn it off today, figuring that maybe it would be good to shut it down once in a while like a PC, and it would not turn back on until I removed the battery for a few seconds (I did not have to wait 30 mins like a previous poster did). This would be annoying regardless, but it is even more annoying because it is so difficult to remove the battery--i have no nails and can never get any bite on the battery to pry it out.